Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First crash

First crash

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started mtbing a little over two years ago. In that time, I've had virtually no incidents on the trail more major than a scratched arm. I've been fortunate. Until today. DH and I went to Brown County State Park, our usual haunt and were riding a familiar trail. I was on a section that's relatively easy. Flat and fast with a few twists. I went around an easy bend and went over a couple of relatively easy roots at a decent clip. The next thing I knew, my bike sort of went sideways and I went flying face first into the dirt. My brow bone and chin seemed to sustain the worst of it, but very little of my body isn't scratched up or sore in some way. I sat there for what felt like an eternity before two young guys rode up. I stopped them and asked them to double back for my husband, which one of them kindly did, while the other stayed with me. DH finally arrived on the scene. The worst part of it is that we were more or less halfway through the loop trail when it happened. We walked part of the trail back for a while and then I finally just got back on my bike and more or less rode out without further incident--unless you count my husband's badlyl timed flat. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm back home now and doing my best to clean myself off and ice down all the various knots and bruises. I wish I could definitively figure out what I did wrong. i had more than enough momentum to carry myself over the roots and I don't remember my body position being off when I hit the roots. I'm left to ponder how to prevent it from happening again.

Catrin, if you read this, I"m probably going to have to reschedule our lunch. It might be better if I work from home tomorrow. I'm so sorry.....
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Don't over think it. Sometimes things just...happen... Some thing slipped under your tire, hit a root at just a slightly wrong angle..maybe there was a wet spot....
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thanks for that insight, Irulan.

Goodness, I look a mess. I'm starting to get a black eye. When I hit the dirt, my sunglasses smashed into my face.

Near the end of the trail, two young, helmetless boys stopped me to ask how hard the trail is. Hmmmm, I said. "You see my face. This is what can happen out here. Do me a favor and don't ride out here without a helmet." They looked at me like I was crazy...and proceeded down the trail.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Now you're a real mountain biker. It sounds like a fun place to ride. Hope you heal well and quickly.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Hope you heal quickly! Sometimes crashes just happen....... I have had more than my share...sometimes I can pinpoint what caused and twice I have been left with...hmmm... how did that happen...? ... The fun aspect out weighs that part for me, everyone is different..... Hope you can still enjoy the trails in the future (: The fact that you are not sure how it happened is not a rare occurrence..... and while not an invitation to blindly go berserk at Whistler.... I would encourage you to kinda just forget about it and enjoy riding(: Over analysis and hesitation are not compatible with mt biking....
    Last edited by tealtreak; 09-02-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Re: First crash

Which trail were you riding? I am so glad you were able to get yourself off of the trail! Sometimes we just don't know what causes a crash, it can be as simple as too much dust or a bad angle over a root.

Arnica ointment helped my bruises, just take care of yourself. Lunch can certainly wait, and you get to miss the first day of the new traffic pattern tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Don't over think it. Sometimes things just...happen... Some thing slipped under your tire, hit a root at just a slightly wrong angle..maybe there was a wet spot....
    This!

And all the male MTBers I know would tell you to consider it a badge of honor and great tale that, of course, expands in the telling.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Oh, I'll get back out there soon enough. I'm glad I rode out and, oddly enough, I was actually riding pretty well and was still having fun. Now if only I could get all the dirt out of my chin.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

We were on the North Tower Loop, Catrin.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Glad to hear that you are ok! I would tend to agree with the others, don't overthink all of this... in the dirt things simply just happen sometimes. If I tried to to 'think' about each of my falls, I'd be too tired to go back out and go for a ride

Heal quickly!!

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    We were on the North Tower Loop, Catrin.
    I had wondered if it was that or perhaps Green Valley. Take care of yourself and then go back to teach that trail a lesson

(((Indy))) Ouch! That sounds painful. I hope you've taken something like advil, and ice is your friend.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Wow. Sorry that happened to you, but glad it wasn't worse. Sending you healing wishes!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Oh yikes indy! Heal up quick! FWIW Aleve helped way more than narcotics after my last get-off...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ouchy!

Well, at least the first crash is over. I am glad that you are ok. I think always best to get back on if you are physically able and ride out. I know it is tough sometimes. It happens to all of us eventually, so I agree with the "don't over think it " advice. I have had some beauts, but I keep going back for more.

Heal up quickly and get back out there.