Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Portland, Or recommendations?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey all,

Likely taking a drive up to Portland area for some r&r. Looking for recommendations!

Food!
    Spa
    Bike stuff
    Tourist stuff
    Rides

Anything else? I'm actually staying with friends on the other side of the river in Washougal.. if that makes a difference somehow.

Thanks in advance.
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

We were just up there for a visit. I could personally spend a day at Powell's bookstore. It's like the Louvre. Aside from that, breweries (Rogue, Deschutes, etc.) and pubs (Baily's Taproom was great). I'm sure locals will chime in with less beer-focussed activities, but that was what we did.

We stayed at the Mcmenamins Crystal Hotel which has an amazing soaking pool in the basement.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

We took a great trip to Oregon a few years ago. We spent several days on the coast before heading into Portland. We really enjoyed the Japanese Gardens and had plans to do some hiking within the city, but just ran out of time. Instead, we drove out to the Gorge and did a few waterfall hikes. We didn't ride at all, but jeez, there are lot of cyclists. It was really cool. For dining, it might depend on where you're staying. If you're downtown during lunch, check out all the food trucks at 10th and Alder.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

collection of amazing food trucks called Pods are big thing here. Fantastic and most amazing food to be had. Brew place all over, all good. I've been to Belmont Station on SE Stark Street around 60th St. One side is the "beer garden" the other side is the retail shop where you can buy literally thousand different kinds of brew.

Places to go? Definitely go see the waterfall if you come after Labor Day weekend. During summer its just too busy unless you get there before 8-9AM. If you do go to the waterfalls (search Multnomah waterfall) you do need to go to Crown point (vista house). Camera is a must!!

Voodoo donuts. Git yerself a blunt (must you ask what it is?) or voodoo doll and think of someone you want to strangle!! located on Sandy? near 18th st?

Powell bookstore a must! We go to Powell in Hawthorne district. Yes the town is divided into different districts Pearl; Hawthorne; Hollywood; Fremont... All have their own charm and different from each other.

We like Hawthorne district. Interesting collection of businesses and people. Portlanders have interesting sense of style. Portlandia doesn't do justice!!

I moved here about three years ago and this is the first place in my life that I feel like its home. Love the climate, people, attitude... place... Bike friendly!!

Lastly do drop in at velocult! It's an amazing bike shop!! http://velocult.com/ They are in Hollywood district. While at it get something from the tap. Yes they do have a bar. You can also have tea and coffee!! Picnic tables to sit and relax. Do go downstairs for still in the works speak easy lounge (I think that is what it is). And see the collection of bikes!!

Hey thanks all. I'll try and check out the areas mentioned above. Anyone got any spa places?

Thanks for the velocult suggestion. Will definitely check that out! Keep em coming!
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Thumbs up

Great thread, thanks people! I'm bookmarking this for when DH & I can get out of dodge ... someday.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Depending on what you want done...Sugarpuss Beauty petite spa on Alberta is great for waxing and tinting and facials. Cute little place, Stephanie is very nice and fun to talk with, and very professional.

So many great places to ride - the historic Columbia River Highway takes you up to Crown Point (mentioned above) and past Multnomah Falls. Country roads out in Helvetia/Hillsboro/North Plains (west of Portland) are gorgeous, too.

Bike friendly food - Hopworks Urban Brewery Bikebar on N. Williams is tasty and low-key for a brewpub meal.

Toro Bravo on N. Russell is amazing Spanish-inspired food - a bit on the spendy side but delicious.

Daily Cafe in the Pearl District is decently priced and very good, and the Pearl District has some fun shops and bars to explore.

+1 on the Hawthorne area being fun, also NE Alberta has really exploded with interesting shops and restaurants. Smaller scale is Multnomah Village in SW Portland, a couple of streets that are nice for strolling and shop browsing.

Have a great time - Portland is wonderful!!

We really enjoyed Pambiche, a Cuban restaurant at 2811 NE Glisan St. It was very festive.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Go to The Rogue on Flanders in NW Portland. Get a Kobe beef burger and ANY beer. My hangout, I lived in Portland for 10 years and still miss it.
    2011 Cannondale CAADX 105
    2012 Jamis Dragon 29er
    2012 Jamis Xenith Endura Comp

I am an hour away and the only times I go to Portland are to fly out or go to meetings. I do second the VooDoo donuts, at least go inside and look even if you don't have a couple of hours to wait in line. If you were a geocacher, I could give you a list of must do geocaches, but other than that, not much help.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

SadieKate and Yellow and I went here after various races last year, and liked it: www.dosha.org/
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I could personally spend a day at Powell's bookstore.
    I have spent a day at Powells .....and then i walk down to Papa Haydn's on 23rd and get a piece of Chocolate Truffle Cake!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Oh gosh if you look at this today - do go to the farmer's market this morning on Portland State Campus! The perfect way to grab some great food for all you other adventure's!

Speaking of adventure - we always hit Next Adventure 426 SE GRAND, the basement has great used stuff the upstairs has all new stuff - I have a few sun shirts I picked up there. And while you
    are on that side of town, if you are into cool furniture and funky house fixtures, stop in at Rejuvenation 1100 SE Grand
    Last edited by Sky King; 08-31-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com