Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Newbie intro and fit question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all.

Very happy to find this website and forums! My husband and I started riding again after a 5 or 6 year break, but we both had hybrid bikes and decided to move up to road bikes. I bought my Cannondale CAAD8 a bit over a week ago and have been riding on a local trail (about 14 miles round trip) a couple days a week. My husband is hoping to do some longer rides while I'm mainly doing this for exercise as I have arthritis in one knee. I basically want to see how I do before I commit to one of the longer rides in the area.

So my fit question is that the LBS I bought my bike at did the same basic fit that every shop does. My first ride was fine with this, but each ride after that has produced some aches. Initially it was behind my knee so I inspected my bike and it seems the seat got moved forward when I was tilting it down a bit (I marked it pre-adjust). Now the ache is on top of my foot and in front of my knee.

So my question is since I have arthritis in the one knees and I'm already experiencing some aches, should I get a custom fit at a studio? Or should I be giving my current fit more of a chance? I've admittedly only done about 4 rides on it, but only the very first one left me with no aches or pains afterwards. I guess I wonder if I'm overreacting to these issues or if I should act on my concerns.

Also, can anyone recommend a seat? I've tilted the nose down, but I'm still getting some, um, pressure. I've read that the Selle Italia Lady is a good one and have heard a lot about the Brooks line as well. Any positives or negatives or other suggestions are welcome! In the mean time, I'm going to try moving the nose a tad to the right for my ride this afternoon.

Thanks for any advice you can give this newbie!

If you do a search on this forum for saddles, you will find a wealth of information and advice on finding a comfortable saddle. It is a quest many of us have undertaken with varying degrees of success. I have had success with the Selle Italia Lady (Diva Gel, in my case). As for the knee, a good custom fit is highly recommended for EVERYONE, but especially someone with arthritic issues. The fitter might have some saddle suggestions as well. Good luck!

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

I've never had a custom fit. I don't have arthritis problems but I do have history of problems with my right knee. I've only ever had the basic fit service at my LBS.

I would start with making sure your saddle position is correct. When you had your initial fitting, they should have made sure the saddle height is correct and dropped a plumb line from your knee to check fore/aft position. But even if they did that, it's possible that your position on the trainer at the shop is different from your position while actually riding -- you may be shifting forward or back on the saddle. Another possibility is that your cleat position is off, if you are using clipless pedals. At my LBS, this type of adjustment would be free, especially if the bike was still pretty new.

As for saddles, your problem might be caused by too much padding in the nose and/or a too-thick chamois in your shorts. But before you try different saddles, read about how to determine your sit bone width and whether or not you would benefit from a cut-out.

Good luck!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I didn't have my custom fit until I had my bike about a year. It's been worth it for me since it's solved all my problems that aren't fitness related. Only saddle time can solve those issues.

Selle Italia is a VERY popular saddle for good reason, but it's not for everyone. I think NY Biker has good suggestions. Try those first and you can always get a pro fitting if that doesn't work for you.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

First of all, I will encourage you to keep riding as I have arthritis in both knees and riding has been the best treatment I have had!! I also would chime in to say that I would talk to your LBS and set a time you can go back for one of their fittings. They may get you some relief once they know the issues you are experiencing. Go ahead and start researching local fitters so if you need one, you will have all the info you need to choose one.

Enjoy the ride,

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

This will help you to get an idea how wide of a saddle you need for comfort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA