Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need help on potential road bike purchase

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am very new to the cycling community. My husband talked me into getting a bike earlier this year - 2013 Specialized Vita Elite. I am really enjoying cycling, much more than I thought I would.

The dilemma is that I have recently started going on 20+ mile group rides and at times I am tiring out easily because one gear is too hard and one is too easy leaving me spinning (I stay in the harder gear and am just trying to work on my endurance to help me get through). This usually occurs on inclines, but I also struggle at higher speeds when my quads start to get tired. There is just no in between in the gears on my bike. I am hearing that I am going to need to invest in a road bike if I want to be able to keep up and train better on the group rides. I am also looking into doing sprint triathlons.

Since I have worked up to 25 miles faster than I thought I would, I guess my goal would be to ride a half century by spring 2014.

So here are my questions:
    1. Should I invest now in a road bike? Or should I wait longer and train on my hybrid for a longer period of time? I don't want to buy the wrong bike. I LOVE my Vita, but I'm just not sure it is right for me going forward based on what others are telling me.

2. What level of road bike should I look at when I do consider this purchase? I tested the Specialized Ruby and Amira at my LBS in the parking lot, and the Amira "felt" better in that short timeframe, but I am concerned with buying the "racing" bike over the "endurance" bike. I am never going to race. I want to be able to ride longer and at a faster pace than I can today. LBS said that the Amira looked like a better fit for me, but I am so new to this that I really don't know what to look for. I am concerned with the stiffer frame and less overall comfort that is apparently the difference between the Amira and the Ruby. Hubby also said I should look at Trek, but I have not tried that yet.

I want to make sure that I put the right time into this decision so that I do not regret it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't ride a traditional road bike so I can't advise on specifics - there are plenty here who can.

What I DO advise is that you take your time. At this point in time your fitness level is going to have more of an impact than a new bike. Where are you located, will you ride in the winter? Is it warm enough to ride regularly in the winter or will you need to ride around snow flakes and ice crystals? Certainly winter doesn't mean you have to stop riding for the year but, depending on where you are located, it can certainly change your riding habits. If you are in Louisiana as I am guessing from your forum name then you are golden

I know someone who just completed a tri with a hybrid and she did fine - so it CAN be done. Keep in mind that your body is going to continue to change as you ride more and what seems comfortable today may not be that way in a couple of months. So test ride, test ride, test ride. Ask if you can take the bike for a longer ride - most bikes feel good in the parking lot. Don't let those around you persuade you to make up your mind until YOU are ready. Well meaning guys do that

Re: Need help on potential road bike purchase

If you do decide to get a road bike I wouldn't dismiss a racing geometry just because you're interested in endurance and not planning on racing. If that geometry fits you best and is most comfortable you should go with it.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    If you do decide to get a road bike I wouldn't dismiss a racing geometry just because you're interested in endurance and not planning on racing. If that geometry fits you best and is most comfortable you should go with it.
    What she said. Fit is most important.

If you have the money to buy now, I would start looking now. The 2014 models are for sale now so you might find a good deal on a 2013 bike.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Hi there! I had a longer post typed out, but Chrome ate it.

Don't be afraid of the racing geometry. If that feels more comfortable, go for it, even if you aren't planning on racing. FWIW, I have no plans to race, and my next road bike will have race geometry--that's what fits me better. I feel scrunched on the more relaxed ones. Comfort and fit are paramount. I couldn't really tell the difference between the stiffer Amira carbon and the "plush" Ruby carbon.

Start looking now if you can afford it. Perhaps you'll find a sweet deal on a 2013 model since the 2014s are coming out soon. Just look for 9 or 10 speed cassettes to help get rid of that jump you feel.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Hi there! I had a longer post typed out, but Chrome ate it.

Don't be afraid of the racing geometry. If that feels more comfortable, go for it, even if you aren't planning on racing. FWIW, I have no plans to race, and my next road bike will have race geometry--that's what fits me better. I feel scrunched on the more relaxed ones. Comfort and fit are paramount. I couldn't really tell the difference between the stiffer Amira carbon and the "plush" Ruby carbon.

Start looking now if you can afford it. Perhaps you'll find a sweet deal on a 2013 model since the 2014s are coming out soon. Just look for 9 or 10 speed cassettes to help get rid of that jump you feel.
    In terms of plushness, I could not tell the difference between the Amira and the Ruby either. But the fit on the Amira felt better for me
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Thank you for the advice

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just what I was looking for. I will definitely be looking for a longer test ride now. The bike shop knows us well, so I'm hoping it will not be an issue.

I really could not explain why the Amira felt better, but it did. But I think that I would feel better about my decision if I could give it a little longer of a ride.

I could also consider that upgrade on my current bike. Might have those parts in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUGirl View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Just what I was looking for. I will definitely be looking for a longer test ride now. The bike shop knows us well, so I'm hoping it will not be an issue.

I really could not explain why the Amira felt better, but it did. But I think that I would feel better about my decision if I could give it a little longer of a ride.

I could also consider that upgrade on my current bike. Might have those parts in my garage.
    You know, sometimes it just clicks. I tried Cannondale's version of the Ruby (carbon women's Synapse) and the aluminum version (CAAD10) of the women's SuperSix (the equivalent of the Amira); the CAAD10 and the SuperSix have the same geometry. The Synapse felt horrible to me. Couldn't get comfortable. It felt harsh. The CAAD10, once I got situated, felt far better. Like it was my bike.

I didn't have that with the Ruby (the Ruby rode nicely, but I felt a bit squished) or the Amira (a bit too stretched out, but it rode well).

IMO, upgrading the Vita to road parts probably isn't worth it. By the time you've paid for new bars, shifters, etc and all the labor that goes into it, you're well on your way to a new bike. Add to that that with what you're looking at, you'll be getting a carbon frame, and, well... I think it's only worth it to upgrade parts if you have a frame that suits your needs and that you are significantly emotionally attached to.

Having 2 bikes is OK. You have one for when your primary bike is in the shop!
    Last edited by Owlie; 09-12-2013 at 12:43 AM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Keep in mind that you can change the gearing on your Vita by swapping out the cassette for something with closer ratios. Since you have a "granny" gear on this model, you can go with quite a close ratio and still have hill climbing gears. That's a fairly inexpensive upgrade. And it's possible that the in-between gear you need is on the other chainring.
    As for getting tired quads - are you pulling back and up at the bottom and back of the pedal stroke, using your hamstring and hip muscles, or are you only pushing forward and down with the muscles on the front of your leg. If it's the latter, pedals with a bit more grip or clipless pedals can divide up the workload between your leg muscles more evenly.
    Queen of the sea beasts