Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Crazy...lawn mower driver?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went out to the bike rack and unlocked my bike and the front wheel wouldn't budge. With great difficulty I unhooked the brakes and got it to roll...it was wavy. It was fine this morning! I walked across the parking lot to security. "My bike was vandalized on the bike rack," I said. "Can you look at the security camera?"

The security camera points right at the bike rack. Or so I thought.
    "It won't show anything," the security guard said. "The parked cars are in the way." He showed me. Yup, the security camera points right at the bike rack, but parked cars obscure the view. "I saw them mowing the grass today," he offered. He asked what time I had come in and looked through the camera footage for the day. He saw the mowers, but if they hit my bike he couldn't tell and they didn't appear to notice if they had.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened though. I took the wheel to the bike shop and it is beyond repair. That is too bad because I replaced it not that long ago and it had quite a lot of miles left on the rim. They ordered a wheel and will build it with my generator hub. They gave me a print out of the cost that I will take to the hospital--apparently it is the hospital, not the med school, that mows the med school's grass.

I'm going to say "Your lawn mower damaged my wheel" and if they say "prove it", well I tried. But maybe they'll take my word for it and pay up. At the very least I hope they tell the mowers to watch out for the bikes.

I'm not parking my bike there anymore. In fact I'm going to walk to work instead of biking.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

My mechanic had a loaner wheel for me so I can still bike. The new rim is on order. Since I have a generator hub it has to be rebuilt into the new wheel.

It took me some time to track down groundskeeping. Then I guess I was pretty persuasive. The guy who drives the lawn mower was there and he kept saying, "Yeah, it's possible. It's definitely possible." He didn't notice hitting anything but it could easily have happened and he not noticed. I left a bunch of phone numbers and contact info so they could investigate my story. The manager said dubiously, "Well, I'll take this up to Finance." An hour later Finance called me and asked "Where should we send the check?" No one bothered investigating--it probably wasn't worth it for $135.

I drove one day and walked the next but the 3rd day I had some errands. It was inconvenient to walk and I didn't want to drive so I biked. I wheeled my bike into the building and on the elevator. I'm sure if I do that long enough someone will say something but-- I have a happy reason now for not minding. My husband has TWO job offers!!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Glad that worked out! Hopefully the new wheel will be awesome.

Good luck to your dh!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I'm glad they didn't stick you with paying for it. Rather civilized really and yea I'd absolutely take the bike on the elevator.
    cryin' won't help ya prayin' won't do ya no good