Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've not yet decided if it is a good thing that I live along and have this move to blast through or not...but it is what it is. I greatly appreciate all of the kind thoughts and good advice. IF I can sleep tonight I intend on going to a 6am spinning class before heading back to the office. Getting some of those feel-good brain chemicals can only help on my first day back at work. Right now the problem is getting to sleep rather than staying asleep. I am still waking, but not nearly as often as in the last couple of months.

Right now I seem to be watching a Poirot marathon (with David Suchet), my mom really enjoyed watching them and so do I. Things I've seen before will pottering around my apartment doing a mixture of packing and resting for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-17-2013 at 01:00 PM.

(((Catrin))) I moved 2 weeks after my mother died, so I have been there. I was really numb through the whole thing. I think I just went on autopilot.

I hope you love your new place and the move goes smoothly.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

What is a "Master" level counselor? My employer makes has a program for all employees who need counseling of any kind and when I signed up I was told they are all "Master" level. I assume this means that they all have post-graduate degrees and is a good thing, just curious if it might mean anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    What is a "Master" level counselor? My employer makes has a program for all employees who need counseling of any kind and when I signed up I was told they are all "Master" level. I assume this means that they all have post-graduate degrees and is a good thing, just curious if it might mean anything else.
    I'm hoping Crankin can definitively answer your question, but like you, I would assume it connotes that they have a master's degree. Now, there are several degrees that qualify you to be a therapist, e.g., master in Social Work; master in Psychology. Beyond just accreditation, I'd be interested (if you have a choice among therapists) in what type of therapies they offer, what type of issues they "specialize" in and how those things align with what you most want to accomplish in therapy.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I'm hoping Crankin can definitively answer your question, but like you, I would assume it connotes that they have a master's degree. Now, there are several degrees that qualify you to be a therapist, e.g., master in Social Work; master in Psychology. Beyond just accreditation, I'd be interested (if you have a choice among therapists) in what type of therapies they offer, what type of issues they "specialize" in and how those things align with what you most want to accomplish in therapy.
    You are correct.

Catrin - starting out with your work EAP is a good place to begin. Like you, I imagine I'll be availing myself of their services when my mom is gone; complicated relationships take some time to process.

Also, if you have someone local in the health care field who knows you well, ask them for names of therapists they think would be a good fit for you. Much of a good therapeutic relationship is personality-dependent, IME.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Master's level therapists are either like me, a professional counselor (called different things in different states), or a licensed social worker. You are not allowed to practice as a Master's level psychologist... used to be, but not since the 80s. They only get the master's on the way to a PhD or PsyD.
    I also started with a therapist from DH's EAP program a few years ago. After a few sessions (5) she referred me to a woman in my area. I actually liked her better than the one I went to for two years!
    Recommendations are good, but I think a good match is very dependent on the 2 personalities involved, so who is good for one person may not be a good match for his/her friend.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks for the tips, I see her Monday.

I went to a visitation at a funeral home tonight (someone from church), a co-worker passed last night, another co-worker had a death in his family today...ready for this week to be over
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-19-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin
    Recommendations are good, but I think a good match is very dependent on the 2 personalities involved, so who is good for one person may not be a good match for his/her friend.
    That's what I meant, and why I specified someone in the health care field who would have dealt with many therapists in the area. When I was getting ready to start back into therapy I asked my long-time psychiatrist for a couple of names. I went to one she recommended, and I clicked with her right away, better than any therapist I'd ever found my way to on my own.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

+1 on finding a therapist who is a good match.
    Don't hesitate to stop seeing someone you don't connect with. What would be the point?!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I wrote my response before I saw your comment, Oak! That should teach me to read.
    Not good for a former Language Arts teacher.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Long time since I logged in to this site. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother (((Catrin))).

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

Re: My mom...sad news

Thanks Giulianna23!