Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

I survived my first metric century

To disable ads, please log-in.

The ride was only supposed to be 60 miles, but we got off track several times. It was a comedy of errors. In the end it was 61.5 so I rode around the parking lot several times to make it an even 62.

During the ride I got to use my mtb skills going over a wooden bridge that about rattled my teeth out. Got chased by a dog and watched a car come within inches of hitting my partner.

But all's well that ends well. I felt pretty good at the end and was quite proud of myself. I should be able to do okay at Hotter N Hell next weekend.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I was going to offer a carefree "congrats!" till you got to the "chased by a dog!"....my nemesis! So I have to ask! What breed? how long did it chase? how did you get away!?.........Trying to rebuild my courage for road bike adventure touring......which amuses a lot of folks cuz i think nothing of ridge-line rocky, rooty single track at 3000 ft...

Re: I survived my first metric century

It was of the mutt variety. I have to say I let my partner take the brunt of the dog. She yelled, "No!" and the dog focused on her so I went around and took off.

That wasn't near as scary as the time we were chased by a pitbull. That time truly scared me.

PS. Her firm No!s seemed to put him in his place and he let her go.
    2013 Electra Verse

good to hear- I was hoping it was not a "followed us for a mile, almost ate our legs" story! I am trying to become more confident with dogs but I have had some scary close calls....

Re: I survived my first metric century

Quote Originally Posted by tealtreak View Post
    good to hear- I was hoping it was not a "followed us for a mile, almost ate our legs" story! I am trying to become more confident with dogs but I have had some scary close calls....
    I got a real chuckle out of that. I admit that I worry more about dogs causing me to crash than I worry about an actual attack. My first dog encounter involved a squirrel getting stuck in my front wheel spokes because a dog was chasing it and the dog kept chasing it even after it got stuck.
    2013 Electra Verse

Congrats on the metric, doggies and all!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66