Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Welcome and congrats! There is something about cycling that makes you feel like a kid and yes, we are most definitely enablers when it comes to bikes and bike related things :-)
    Congrats and welcome. I too started slow on an old mountain bike and thought I was going to die or at least my legs fall off. Just keep it up, I am now working toward a 100 ride next year (if I can get there) so just keep it up. An yes, thekarens is right there are definately enablers on this site, but that is a great thing too since you can ask about anything you want to know.

Just wanted to update the thread. I am well on my way to goal, having lost 110 pounds since last May. I have upgraded my bike again, just a few weeks ago, to a 2014 Cannondale Quick 4. I am averaging close to 100 miles per week now. I try to get on the bike 5 days per week for an hour and a half to 2 hours, with the longer rides on the weekends. Having a blast and I feel terrific! Even better, I look a little better in my lycra after going down 7 sizes in clothing.

WOW, impressive!!! A big congrats to you.

Electra Townie 7D

Yayyyy and congratulations on your impressive progress :-)

Terrific job on losing weight and all the miles your riding on your bike. I'm really impressed with your progress in spite of mn. cold winter.

Would you share a pic of your bike with us? Your state has very nice bike trails I hope you can enjoy this summer.

Woo hoo!! Congrats and enjoy the new bike!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Wonderful job! Congrats! You are truly inspirational.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by jilliebeanmn View Post
    Just wanted to update the thread. I am well on my way to goal, having lost 110 pounds since last May. I have upgraded my bike again, just a few weeks ago, to a 2014 Cannondale Quick 4. I am averaging close to 100 miles per week now. I try to get on the bike 5 days per week for an hour and a half to 2 hours, with the longer rides on the weekends. Having a blast and I feel terrific! Even better, I look a little better in my lycra after going down 7 sizes in clothing.
    Congratulations! And hello from your neighborhood to the South (Wisconsin!)

Good for you! Thanks for the update.

Here is a pic of the new bike. I named her LOU, after my Grandmother.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOU.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	17180

Here is a pic of the new bike. I named her LOU, after my Grandmother.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOU.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	17180
    Very nice!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I'm just starting off myself and have lots of weight to lose / fitness to gain. Any tips on best way to ramp up biking efforts?

I can tell you what I did...

I started making one change at a time...because I know trying to do too many things at one time in the past have led me to just giving up. I gave up soda, then moved to mostly low carb (nothing crazy, just eliminated the bagels, breads, etc) and mostly focused on protein, fruits and vegetables. I subbed sweet potato for regular potatoes and started making other healthy food choices. I was sticking to about 1800 calories per day. Greek yogurt or fruit for snacks.

I track every single bite I put in my mouth and I don't drink ANY calories. No milk, juice, etc. I eat 3 meals per day and 1 snack, but it's a healthy snack and usually a string cheese, greek yogurt or some fruit.

For exercise, I started biking. One mile to start. I stuck to that mile for the first week without increasing distance and simply tried to shave one minute off my time each time I went.

Believe me, this was a slow process!

I then started adding a half a mile, and tried to keep my time the same. Rinse and repeat until I built up some muscle and lost a few pounds and could go further and faster, although my focus was not on speed, but on distance. This was all last summer. By the end of the summer, I completed a 25 mile ride.

Over the winter I continued to ride on the exercise bike at the gym and signed up for a spin class. I STILL can't keep up 100% at the spin class, but I am getting better.

Lou looks like a very fine all-around bike. I like her color combo that would be easy to add accents if wanted.

OMG that is so awesome!! I am so excited for you! Keep up the amazing work!
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo