Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hair, menopause and general long sighs...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Approaching the last birthday I intend to celebrate (59) and have been growing out my hair. It's below shoulder length. Up until six months ago, it was OK - baby fine but fairly thick & looked good.

Seems like I've been losing more hair & it's looking ragged. Doc says - menopause. I'm still hot flashing and HRT is not an option because of risk of blood clots, etc. When I die, I won't need a tombstone. My burial plot will be the slightly warm patch of earth.

But back to the hair - I'm getting ready to cut. I really think that thin straggly hair is awful. I wear it in a bun 95% of the time because when I flash & sweat, any curl that I managed to wrestle into my hair is history. Before I do - does anybody use a product that works to thicken hair? I've been using Pureology which used to work but no longer. Or maybe I should just bite the bullet & chop it off. I'm also letting it go grey because I hate that skunk stripe of grey hair that women get when they're between coloring and I really refuse to be a slave to my hair.

So, I guess I'm looking for recommendations for a miracle product. Or a chorus of "cut it and get over yourself!"
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

My first husband used Rogaine and I would say it stabilized his hair loss and possibly re-grew a small amount. But it was really expensive in those days, so maybe that's just wishful thinking.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It sounds like you like it long; would a trim of the ends help?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I sometimes feel like a broken record on this because I see a possible thyroid disorder everytime someone on TE complains of not feeling quite right, but has your doctor screened you for a thyroid disorder? Both hypo and hyperthyroidism can cause hair loss. Of course, menopause can as well. I just wonder if your doctor ruled out other causes before attributing it to menopause.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I sometimes feel like a broken record on this because I see a possible thyroid disorder everytime someone on TE complains of not feeling quite right, but has your doctor screened you for a thyroid disorder? Both hypo and hyperthyroidism can cause hair loss. Of course, menopause can as well. I just wonder if your doctor ruled out other causes before attributing it to menopause.
    Yup. Hairloss was the key to getting my thyroid issue diagnosed. Before I figured it out, I tried a lot of products/remedies. The best shampoo was Nioxin. The best way to add fullness was blow drying with a round brush. The best supplement was Biotin, and a lot of people swear by Evening Primrose Oill (which I wasn't convinced did anything, and was expensive). Hair cuts always made it look fuller, as did dyeing. I had never dyed my hair before, so I used a temporary color from Whole Foods, and it really made it look thicker. The best home remedy is apple cider vinegar. I use it on salad.

If it is your thyroid, getting on the right dose of hormone is better than anything else. My hair is back to normal. but the whole event was really traumatic and stressful, so a big hug to you. I know how it feels.

Another thing you want to check are your iron and ferritin levels. Low iron is another common cause of hairloss.

Good luck!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    When I die, I won't need a tombstone. My burial plot will be the slightly warm patch of earth.
    I couldn't help but giggle over this.

Hope you find a hair solution.
    Is my hair thinner as a result of menopause? Abit but not enough to warrant full out medical check. I am period-free after approx. 24 months of menopause. But seem to occasionally still get short, gentle hot flashes at night..which puzzles me. But pretty minor.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Thyroid & all blood levels are fine. A trim would help but the hair has always been fine. I do have color in it now so I get a little fullness there.

I wear it up 95% of the time because of the hot flashes. The bun is getting reeeally tiny!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Minor threadjack: Hi, Red!!!! I've been wondering how you are and missing you on TE!!! I'd love to hear how you've been doing.

@Dogmama, I have always had fine hair and my thyroid issues have, at times, really messed with it, especially in terms of texture. I agree that color can help. I also find that wearing it no longer than shoulder length, and preferably a bit shorter than that, can help make it seem fuller and less stringy. I hope you find a solution for you.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

+1...Nioxin...it's great stuff!

Use tips & misc...

Yes, it is expensive, but it's well worth it, imho. I've tried in the past to change back to regular shampoo, and I definitely noticed the difference, i.e. more hair loss / no new hair growth.

You need to give it about a month of regular use. Then you can see the results. I call them "baby hairs or sprouts", of new hair growth will show up. In your part-line, and forehead area. Plus, it just seems to make it fall out a lot less.

When you shampoo and condition, give your scalp a good massage with the pads of your fingers tips and work it in well. Try to let it sit on your scalp a few minutes while you do other needed things in the shower, i.e. shave legs, etc. Then rinse the Nioxin out last. This just gives it more time to work.

You also might notice a tingling sensation on your scalp. I think it's part of whatever is in it, at work. Tho recently the look of it changed slightly (opal to gel), and I notice the tingling less.

Btw, smells fresh/unisex, sorta minty...if you have never tried it before, I think you will love it!

General hair thoughts...

A good cut can do a lot for us fine thin hair ladies. And no, I do not think you have to get it super short. Just so it's well maintained. I recently went from my bra strap, to just past my shoulders, and it feels fuller. It's blunt cut, with very very few Jennifer Aniston type layers.

I googled "fine thin hair over 40" and looked at some pics on line. Hopefully this link will work to show you what I found...
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

Lastly...

While I'm just in peri-menopause, I understand the symptoms (ugh). As a natural red-head, it's my one gift of unique beauty; and I'm fighting to keep it looking it's best.

Good Luck!

EDIT ADD:

Coloring...

Currently I have just a few gray hairs, but I plan not to color them. I had some highlights added to my natural red hair once, and it ended in a color disaster. I swore to never color again.

BUT, my stylists told me if I ever wanted to try color as I gray I might do some low-lights in the underneath layers of hair. If you add the color *not* in the top section of head, then the top layer of hair covers the roots as they grow out. Hope that makes sense.

Coloring in general is hard on your hair. As any chemicals are. I try to avoid things that stress my fine thin hair. As we put it up also, that doesn't help.

Fwiw, here's a book title I read a while back and enjoyed the lady's story... "Going Gray: How To Embrace Your Authentic Self With Grace And Style" by Anne Kreamer.
    Last edited by Miranda; 08-18-2013 at 07:09 PM.

I am another happy user of Biotin and the B supplement group. I had a bout of hair loss that was really getting me concerned. I've had thick hair with a wave to it all my life so thin and limp hair was a brand new thing to deal with. The loss was getting quite significant and I was having a hard time pinning it down. (the culprit, not the hair) I do have RA and take meds for it, but I've had RA for a few years and those meds before the hair loss. I went through an incredibly stressful time that lasted for about a year and a half and that's when the hair loss got quite significant. I suffered from fatigue in addition to the hair loss after this stressful period. Because of my heritage I have Mediterranean anemia and my body does not make good use of the iron it gets. The B complex has helped with iron absorption. I take a regular multi-viatmin plus this other product with Biotin. I've been taking the Biotin for about 6 months and I have a healthy head of thickening hair and it came back curly like when I was a kid. My family is amazed at the regrowth that's taken place. I am post menopausal and have been since my late 20's, but that was due to surgery and something for a different story at a different time.

Hair loss can be devastating, I hope you find something that works for you.

I get the vitamins from Costco and they are labeled Hair, Skin and Nails supplement and if I am an example, they are great.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Pureology stopped working for me, too. I switched to a sulfate free shampoo. I use Thermafuse. There's also N4 shampoo, it's too pricey for me to want to try it, but it's supposed to be very good.

For hair color, thickening, covering grey and doing no damage to your hair, try henna! It doesn't have to be flaming red. Go to mehandi and read up. Hours worth of info there. I've bought body-art quality henna from there for several years. Do not go to Sally beauty, it's not the same henna!

Good luck. I was anemic last year and suffered quite a bit of hair loss. I had to start combing over bare spots. Very depressing. It's coming back nicely, though.

2013 Specialized Ruby Sport
    2012 Specialized Crossroads Sport
    1998 Trek 800 Sport
    1992 Performance Focus