Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fingernails

Question Fingernails

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think I have too much time on my hands sometimes. I am curious. I have to keep my fingernails kind of short because I can't stand riding my bicycle with long fingernails. I can't stand typing with long fingernails either. How long to you keep your fingernails? Does the length interfere with your comfort or anything else?
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

When my fingernails start clicking on my laptop keyboard, I cut them. I can't stand long nails at all. I'm headed for a career in health care, and I think shorter are more sanitary (and pose less of a risk of poking holes in gloves).

I used to work in the same office with someone whose (gel) nails were so long they curved. I remember her using them like chopsticks to eat food. Most disgusting thing I have ever witnessed.
    Last edited by Blueberry; 08-15-2013 at 05:56 AM.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'm not comfortable unless they're so short that my cuticles turn into a ragged mess. Grew them a little bit a few times and gave up. I do wish I could keep them long enough to have healthy cuticles, but I can't type that way, when I played music I couldn't do that at all, and they just feel uncomfortable.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My nails used to be really long & strong - back when long nails were the fashion. As I get older, they tend to break & peel easily so I keep them short. I found that shorter is much nicer. I like to use a slightly tinted nail polish. It stays on better when the end of the nails aren't scratching things.

Blueberry - your story about the gel nails made me gag. Yuck!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Re: Fingernails

I'm not sure how short nails and bad cuticles are related. I keep mine super short, with no problems with the cuticle. My partner keeps hers longer. Doesn't seem to affect either one of us one way or the other.

I also don't use polish, but my partner does.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Mine were never long, but now they are consistently short for piano. I massage Burt's Bees cuticle cream, slather lotion and put on gloves to sleep several nights a week. I think it is a silly and fussy routine, but whenever I go for more than a couple days without doing it I get dry skin, pokey cuticles, cracks, and infections. Hand sanitizer and anti-bac soap make this worse, so I avoid them whenever possible. It's a bummer because all soap in public restrooms is suspect.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I keep my left ones short and my right ones long. Looks weird, but the guitar demands it.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I keep mine really short, always have, just have never liked the feeling of long nails and trying to get stuff out from under them. My mother has sometimes given me a hard time about this, but at this point in my life I have three very good reasons to keep them short...working in a clinical setting (infection control requirement), gardening, and volunteering at the local bike co-op helping rebuild bikes. It's a lot easier not having much for dirt/grease to get under.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I try to keep mine on the short side. Otherwise they just break when I'm doing something...

For instance, dealing with snowshoe laces outdoors in real cold weather, I don't need long nails. I also do some art with acrylic paint and just find it easier.

I gave up on nail polish 30 yrs. ago. I actually found my fingers felt cooler....maybe it was being more hyperconscious of the coloured nails/fingers. I do have a cooler handshake.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I used to have long manicured nails, but they went away when I started my making jewelry. The buffing machine would mess up the polish. Stopped making jewelry, but I still keep them short.

My finger and toe nails have always been hard as cement.

My nails are polished, but short, maybe medium. I feel naked without nail polish and keeping them polished forces me to keep them in good shape.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I keep mine shortish, just past my fingertips for the most part. (I played the viola for a while. Short nails are essential!) Not long enough to be annoying, but long enough to pry open soda can tabs and that sort of thing. No nail polish, because I work in a lab and I don't want it flaking off into stuff. (Nail polish goes on the toenails!)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I recently discovered "Gellish" manicures, a super beefy UV cured polish that works on your own natural nail. Doesn't chip AT ALL for two weeks. And I don't shy away from adventure!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9234971389_8f84348152.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	16643

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Short and mostly naked. My toes are always polished, but I can't deal with keeping up with the hands. I occasionally get a gel manicure, but mostly can't be bothered.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I keep wanting to "like" responses
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager