Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
    I feel like I can train the dogs better with the retractable lead. I can keep it shorter and keep the dog closer to me without cutting the circulation off to my fingertips by . But it does require looking ahead of time to reel the dog in when the situation might warrant (which, in our case, is any other animal, a street, or a person working in the yard - to name only few).

Blame the owner, not the equipment. (Just like inconsiderate cyclists - it's not cycling, it's the rider.)
    Why the hate on retracto leashes? Here's why:

If a dog is trained properly to heel on a slack leash, there should never ever be problems with circulation getting cut off in the hands. These days, I see that very very few dogs trained to walk at heel on a slack leash. They are either pulling on a 6' leash, pulling and running all over on a retracto leash, or they are wearing a haltie type muzzle that prevents them from pulling. Whatever happened to just training the dog how to walk on a leash? Don't tell me it's difficult - I took a Malamute to ribbons in obedience many years ago, and that is a kind of dog that is born to pull.
    You shouldn't have to "reel him in when the situation warrants". A well trained dog focuses on his owner, not all the other stuff happening around them. Or, they know it's happening but they focus on the trainer, not the squirrel.

/rant off.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Why the hate on retracto leashes? Here's why:

If a dog is trained properly to heel on a slack leash, there should never ever be problems with circulation getting cut off in the hands. These days, I see that very very few dogs trained to walk at heel on a slack leash. They are either pulling on a 6' leash, pulling and running all over on a retracto leash, or they are wearing a haltie type muzzle that prevents them from pulling. Whatever happened to just training the dog how to walk on a leash? Don't tell me it's difficult - I took a Malamute to ribbons in obedience many years ago, and that is a kind of dog that is born to pull.
    You shouldn't have to "reel him in when the situation warrants". A well trained dog focuses on his owner, not all the other stuff happening around them. Or, they know it's happening but they focus on the trainer, not the squirrel.

/rant off.
    All I'm saying is that it's a different sort of training. I don't see why one way is better than the other.

Sorry you're having a bad day.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

When I took my terrier puppy to puppy kindergarten we were not allowed to bring retractable leashes. I think for good reason. I do not even use them until my dogs are about 1 year or walk nicely on a regular lead BUT, I like them and will continue to use them. They do lock in place and can be set at certain lengths.

I like to use them on walks to give the dogs a little more freedom to explore. I would never let either of my dogs off leash and the retractable ones give them a bit more freedom. I think if used responsibly, there is nothing wrong with them.

There is a time and place for them and the MUP on a busy summer day is NOT it.. People just need to use their brains LOL
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Norse View Post
    Kajero, I pretty much avoid the multi-use trails around the Twin Cities during the summer months, especially the ones around the lakes, for just this reason. There are far too many self-centered idiots on those trails and it's just not worth it. The roads - especially wide-shouldered or with bike lanes - are safer for a cyclist. I do wander over to those trails in early spring (but not this year!) and late fall as then I can enjoy the scenery without being worried about the hordes of clueless wonders.
    But the streets around the lakes are busy with people driving who looking at the lakes and not paying any mind to anyone else who might be on the street or even crossing it! I guess nothing is safe.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Heh, I thought about this thread on my way into work this morning. There is a short part of my commute where bicycles are not allowed on the road and there is a MUP on both sides of the road for us to use. I'm only on it for maybe a quarter mile before I get to my office parking lot so typically, it's no big deal. Today there was a guy walking two dogs, very slowly, almost shuffling. Both dogs were on long leashes (probably more than 6' which is what we use) and kind if milling about the guys feet. They were all definitely taking up the whole path.

I slowed down to a crawl, yelled 'cyclist passing on your left!' and waited for a response. Nothing. As I got closer, I said it again and again, zero movement from the guy. Luckily, the dogs chose to acknowledge me the second time and moved closer to him so that I could pass. When I did, I could hear music...so clearly he couldn't hear me. So aggravating! Thank heaven for sensible dogs!

There were two other cyclists behind me that I'd passed not to long previous, so hopefully he kind of woke up and paid attention after I passed.

Yet another reason I hate most MUP's.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

We have at lot of MUPs here and I have the same problem with the leashes, however it all boils down to the person on the other end of the leash. I walk my dog on a retracto leash and love it, but I am also very careful to pull him in when a cyclist or jogger approach. As a walker there is nothing that makes me madder that a cyclist that is going 20 MPH on a MUP except maybe a line of them from the local club, slow down and save it for the streets. As a cyclist on our MUPs there is nothing more frustrating to me than people who aren't responsible with their kids or pets. Can we use leashes on children? If your kid is walking or riding please explain that running out in front of a cyclist to see if they can "beat them across" can get everyone killed. I am not a cyclist that whizzes past you at 20 MPH, but there is no need to have your 3 kids covering the entire path leaving no room for other walkers/joggers or cyclist. I agree there are rude cyclist on the trail that even other cyclist like myself hate because they give the rest of us a bad public image. Mutual respect is what is needed where everyone can enjoy the MUPs. But I do wish we could fix stupid.

I'm not a fan of those extender leashes at all. When my dog was a puppy a woman in my neighborhood was yammering away on a cell phone while walking a german shepherd on one of those. He charged us and she couldn't hang on. My puppy wasn't injured, he did a lot of yipping and it really scared me. I jumped in the middle and picked him up which was a big crazy but it all happened so fast. A man driving by stopped and helped me out while this crazy neighbor just screamed at her dog with no affect. I blame that incident on my dog having some fear aggressive issues that I've been working with him on with a dog trainer pretty much since.

so no not a fan

I nearly creamed two beagles coming around a blind corner on a mup one day. The person "walking" them was on a bike and didn't even have the leashes drawn in, despite the fact that it was a busy weekend afternoon. Luckily, I always slow right down and ring my bell for this particular corner as it's a sharp one.
    That said, most dog owners hear seem to have more sense. When I ride to the pool before work, part of the route goes through a dog park. Yesterday my headlight picked up matching reflective vests on a german shepherd and it's owner long before I got to them.
    Queen of the sea beasts