Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Weekend MTB Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

We need a thread to post about our mtb rides! I'll start...

Today was the best ride of the year so far. Cloudy, cooler temps, a bit of rain to cool us off in the middle of the ride, no rattle snakes, and no hubby endos

We rode about 2 hours on our favorite trail. I rocked all of the new obstacles that I've been working on this season! A couple of tricky, downhill switchbacks were "cake" today. A relatively steep, rocky, uphill section seemed just a little shorter and I made it further without having to stopping for a rest. I was also able to ride much more of "Ankle Breaker Trail" than I've ever been able/willing to ride in the past. I still haven't attempted the hill that I broke my ankle on but it's not far in the future. (Now it's in writing so I'm committed, right?).

My new, flat, Twenty6 pedals are the BEST! I'll write a review when I have a little more time.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Sounds like great fun Artista! You will ride that hill when you are ready to

What shoes are you pairing with those pedals? You may have said before but I probably missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    What shoes are you pairing with those pedals? You may have said before but I probably missed it.
    I'm wearing FiveTen Women's Chase model. BTW, HucknRoll carries FiveTen Karvers at a discount with no shipping on orders of $50 or more.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Artista, it sounds like you're making fabulous progress. Congrats!

The inlaws were in town this past weekend, so no riding for us, but we're hoping to hit the trails over the 4th or this coming weekend. After much debating, I decided to follow your lead in getting Five Tens and some good pedals, rather than clipless. I ended up with Five Ten Guide Tennies. Based on various reviews, I decided that the Karvers would likely be too wide (although I would like to try them sometime). The Guides fit well, although because they're not truly a cycling shoe, it remains to be seen whether they're stiff enough.

I also ordered Straightline AMP pedals. There were several decent contenders, so I hope that I like them. My bike, a Santa Cruz Juliana, is a really pretty azure blue. It has little bits of red the stem cap, fork, and bars, so I went bold and got the pedals in red, too. We'll see how they look. I'm eager to try the new set up.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy, I'm so pleased to hear that you are sticking with flats. The marginal benefits that clipless pedals offer for technical mtb'ing just don't outweigh the risks in my mind.

I hope that the red pedals make you smile every time you look at them. One of the best things about cycling is decking out our bikes and bodies in really bold colors. Think of your red pedals as your alter ego outlet

I'll bet that you'll like your sticky-soled FiveTens on those pinned flats. The more flexible soles shouldn't be too noticeable since your flats have fairly large platforms to support your feet. My shoes also have pretty flexible soles. I haven't noticed any loss of power and the ability to walk comfortably is a bonus. But then again, having as much fun as possible is way more important to me than going fast
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

I did 2 hours at Buffalo Creek on Sunday! I'm probably going to go back on the 4th but it'll be after an 8 mile trail run so I'll have dead legs, as usual. While I'm enjoying getting the running up to speed, my bikes feel awfully neglected.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Great pedals Indysteel, and congratulations on making a decision, that is the hardest part. I seriously need to eventually get some grippy shoes...

My knee appears to be improving nicely, I think I will be able to go ahead and do my scheduled ride Thursday with Limewave

Great pedals Indysteel, and congratulations on making a decision, that is the hardest part. I seriously need to eventually get some grippy shoes...

My knee appears to be improving nicely, I think I will be able to go ahead and do my scheduled ride Thursday with Limewave
    There's at least some chance we're going to be there on Thursday. I have an eye appointment in the morning that Brian is taking me to (because they're going to dilate my eyes). I was originally planning to work from home the rest of the day, but now it looks like we're both taking the day off. I don't know if we'll ride on the 4th or the 5th; we'll likely just play it by ear. I sure wish my pedals would be here by then, but that's not likely.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    There's at least some chance we're going to be there on Thursday. I have an eye appointment in the morning that Brian is taking me to (because they're going to dilate my eyes). I was originally planning to work from home the rest of the day, but now it looks like we're both taking the day off. I don't know if we'll ride on the 4th or the 5th; we'll likely just play it by ear. I sure wish my pedals would be here by then, but that's not likely.
    I look forward to hearing what you think of the new combination. Assuming my knee continues to behave, we will be riding around 10, at least that is our plan...Tomorrow morning will rise early for a road ride and see what my knee thinks of that - if it can handle the road then it can handle Limekiln

I look forward to hearing what you think of the new combination. Assuming my knee continues to behave, we will be riding around 10, at least that is our plan...Tomorrow morning will rise early for a road ride and see what my knee thinks of that - if it can handle the road then it can handle Limekiln
    I hope your knee cooperates. If we head there on Thursday, I'll look for you. It would be nice to ride there that day because I assume the crowds will be lighter. But my appointment would put us there later in the morning, and I'd prefer to start early to avoid the heat. It's a toss up. I'd just as soon ride both days, too, but I doubt I can talk Brian into that.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I hope your knee cooperates. If we head there on Thursday, I'll look for you. It would be nice to ride there that day because I assume the crowds will be lighter. But my appointment would put us there later in the morning, and I'd prefer to start early to avoid the heat. It's a toss up. I'd just as soon ride both days, too, but I doubt I can talk Brian into that.
    I hear you...and otherwise I might have suggested an earlier time, but as I've a party Wed night that will go late I didn't think that to be a good idea. The party is at a condo in full view of the Regions Bank where they will have the fireworks. In this drought I am glad they do it on top of a very tall building...

I MIGHT ride Town Run with another friend for the first time Friday, but am fairly sure my knee will probably complain about that after riding for two days.

Another fun, 1 1/2 hour ride today. I easily managed two, new, downhill switchbacks without having to stop and evaluate them first. I chickened out on a third, steeper, switchback, though. I'm certain that I have the skill to handle it, just not the confidence yet. It's on my "to-do" list for this season, along with "ankle breaker hill".

This was my last ride until 7/15 Going to Washington DC for a business conference, which is one of the reasons that I chickened out on that switchback. I attended an out of town meeting three days after breaking my ankle last fall. That did not make my list of favorite business trips.

I'm already going through bike withdrawal!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

20 miles yesterday on my rigid singlespeed, 16 of which were with friends. I threw down a singlespeed challenge (no shifting!) to one of my friends, who's a pretty strong rider. He accepted, cursed me the entire time, and loved it so much that he's now shopping for a singlespeed!

I love my singlespeed- it makes me feel like a total bad-@ss

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I love my singlespeed- it makes me feel like a total bad-@ss
    Twenty miles on a singlespeed?! You ARE a bad@ss! I've never gotten the singlespeed thing. I figure the bicycling gods gave us gears so that not-so-young-women like me can get up hills
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Twenty miles on a singlespeed?! You ARE a bad@ss! I've never gotten the singlespeed thing. I figure the bicycling gods gave us gears so that not-so-young-women like me can get up hills
    Thanks Keep in mind that I live in a coastal area that's rolling, not mountainous. Also, the trail system that I use my singlespeed at most often (including yesterday) isn't terribly technical.

For me, singlespeeding is another way to introduce some variety into my local trails and to get stronger in the process, all while feeling like a kid again. Believe me, I have a full-suspension geared bike for the hiller and more-technical rides!