Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Long Canyon

Long Canyon

To disable ads, please log-in.

Long Canyon is one of our local "epics". There's great riding in the N Idaho Panhandle but it is not in any guidebooks. I have heard about this ride, but always the 40+ mile death march-all day-epic version. It turns out that if you shuttle vehicles between the two trailheads, it turns the ride into a doable-for-mere-mortals backcountry ride of 19 miles

You leave a vehicle at the bottom and then drive back up to the upper trailhead at 5700'. Then it's a two mile hike-a-bike to the pass, up to about 6700. After that, the trail descends via over 40 switchbacks down to the valley. Long Canyon is roadless, so it is a premier wilderness destination with filled with old growth cedars. Once you are off the ridege, the trail rolls through the old growth for miles and miles and miles, with many creek crossings. The day is spend eating and riding punctuated with creek crossings. I had the best day in a very long time. :-)

Hike a bike, for real

top of the pass

lots of rocks at the top of the descent

I wasn't kidding about switchbacks. Something "clicked" for me on this ride and I did better than ever on them

Much of the trail looks like this

Always bring your water filter

There were about 5 crossings like this

The trail is well maintained. There were really nice boardwalks over the boggy areas.

DH took lots of photos of me. :-)

and more creek crossings ( note to self, bring sandals next time)

Almost done - view of the Kootenay River
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020134-edit.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	16611  
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Wow! That looks amazing. And how awesome that your technique on the switchbacks clicked!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

That looks beautiful!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Great photo's.
    Idaho has some super riding ,I wish I would have taken up Mt. Biking way earlier, it's hard trying to make up lost time. LOL
    So many trail and not enough time.