Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Kryptonite fail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,545

    Kryptonite fail

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    Today my less-than-two-years-old Kryptonite u-lock failed -- the key goes in and turns, but nothing happens. Luckily the bike wasn't locked at that point (though I did have to ask a stranger to guard my bike while I ducked into the restroom).

    This is the second Kryptonite lock I've had trouble with -- I have a mini u-lock for the huge chain I rarely use -- it hasn't failed, but it's often sticky and hard to use. I do lubricate the locks regularly, and I don't do anything unusual with them, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

    Has anyone else had problems with Kryptonite? Any other brands to recommend? I'm looking at the Onguard Pitbull.

    I live in New York City so I need max security. I only lock for short trips to a store or restaurant, but if I'm going to haul a heavy lock around, I want it to be a good one.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Today my less-than-two-years-old Kryptonite u-lock failed -- the key goes in and turns, but nothing happens. Luckily the bike wasn't locked at that point (though I did have to ask a stranger to guard my bike while I ducked into the restroom).

    This is the second Kryptonite lock I've had trouble with -- I have a mini u-lock for the huge chain I rarely use -- it hasn't failed, but it's often sticky and hard to use. I do lubricate the locks regularly, and I don't do anything unusual with them, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

    Has anyone else had problems with Kryptonite? Any other brands to recommend? I'm looking at the Onguard Pitbull.

    I live in New York City so I need max security. I only lock for short trips to a store or restaurant, but if I'm going to haul a heavy lock around, I want it to be a good one.
    What do you use to lubricate the lock? Some lubricants (like straight oil) will ultimately gum up the works. You might try flushing the locking mechanism out and applying some lock-specific lubricant after the mechanism has dried out from the flushing.
    JEAN

    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi Ho Silver View Post
    What do you use to lubricate the lock? Some lubricants (like straight oil) will ultimately gum up the works. You might try flushing the locking mechanism out and applying some lock-specific lubricant after the mechanism has dried out from the flushing.
    I use graphite. What should I flush it with -- is plain water okay?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,545
    Update: I called Kryptonite and they suggested bike chain oil. So I gave it a squirt of Tri Flow and it's fine now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    I use graphite. What should I flush it with -- is plain water okay?
    I'd use something that dissolves grease and oil, like alcohol or possibly wd-40. Water wouldn't help clean it out.
    JEAN

    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,057
    I have a recurring problem with my mini kryptonite that sounds similar. It is hard to explain, but there are 2 parts inside the lock that can rotate. If the key slot isn't lined up between the 2 parts, you can insert the key into the lock, rotate it, but nothing happens. The first part is rotating, but not the lower part. The first time it happened, I thought the lock shot. I've since learned that when it happens I put the key in, turning and jiggling the key until the two parts line up. The key slips in another 3-5mm and then the lock functions correctly.
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •