Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Romin (Expert)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Switched from the Toupe (Ruby, same diff) I've used for the last 4 seasons to the Romin. Reason? I got a new bike last year, I'm riding in a more aggressive position, and I'm stronger, so I need a saddle that works better in the drops. Plus, I'm accustomed to riding a nearly pad-free saddle, so thought I'd try it. (It's supposed to be harder to adjust to than the Ruby/Toupe, at least from the comments I've read).

The one complaint I've had with the Toupe is that it isn't great in the drops. The Romin has a wider nose, and a channel that runs throughout where the cutout stops. Seams much better. The complaints about the Romin (from other TE'ers) were often that the saddle was too abrupt with the channel. And too wide in the nose. I do lift with my hips and keep my weight on my sits, even when aero, so that helps. That said, I don't think I could have managed this saddle a couple of years ago, but after being conditioned for so long on the Toupe, it's a nice transition.

The rear of the saddle curves up, so even though the saddle height is the same in the middle as my Toupe, I had to lower it slightly, (.4 cm) and move it back a couple of millimeters.

I have heard complaints from other TE'ers that the wide nose causes pear-shaped related chafing. Not an issue I've ever had, so can't comment.

And aside: the Oura is supposed to be the women's equivalent, but it has the same padding and is almost identical to the men's Romin Expert Evo (which is more padded, and costs less than the one I purchased). The women's Oura might have shorter rails,if memory serves. If you are interested in the Oura, be sure to check the Romin Expert and Romin Expert Evo, the men's models are often on sale. And there are many more thicknesses and rail choices.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-11-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Update: definitely a big improvement over the Toupe for the drops. Rode that way all morning, no pain in the forward region. Plus, the raised angle of this saddle's rear kept me in position better. It even cushioned impact to my lower back. LOVE!!!!
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-11-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Some observations for anyone who wants to try this saddle.

The Romin Expert Evo has about the same amount of padding as the Oura Expert, but costs less. I believe the nose and perhaps rails on the Romin is longer. I'm using the Romin Expert, so a little less padded than the Evo.

This saddle has a pronounced raised back area. I had to lower my saddle by .5 cm compared to what I expected, because it raised the hips.

The raised rear of the saddle situates the bone to saddle contact differently than the Toupe/Ruby, and other 'standard' shaped saddles I've tried. The contact of skeleton to saddle is clean, i.e., there are many fewer tendons, ligaments, and muscles in the way, this reduces compression of those soft tissues, and allows all of those tendons, muscles, and ligaments at the tops of the legs where the ball and socket joint of the hips join with the leg to relax. This results in eliminating rotational 'turnout' that occurs when compressing those soft tissue. So, the legs relax into a more neutral position while peddling. For example, sitting on our rear causes a tension that makes our knees point outwards a bit, and a fitter must find a way to ensure the knees are not torqued by being too far in or out. Whatever is the case. I actually had to adjust my cleats since now my legs are pedaling in a straighter position. Rotated the cleats outwards a bit to bring the knees in, and moved them laterally to the outside by a small amount to relieve the pressure that was suddenly on the outsides of my ankles and feet. (Sorry for that cumbersome paragraph!).

Another point: my hips are staying lifted the way I want them to, and I'm suddenly able to use the muscles of my back--lower, mid, and upper, much more freely than before to achieve better form. I'm spending about 80% of my time in the drops, as opposed to 20% before.

I am using the same size Romin as I did the Toupe, but I used to ride more upright. A lot of people end up going up a size for the Romin/Oura. Just keep an open mind and make sure to get the right size for you.

Both the men's and women's models are available in 130, 143, 155, and 168 cm widths.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-13-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Glad you like your saddle! Sounds like a good fit.

Is it possible for a saddle to make you faster? This saddle is making me faster!!!! Reason: the glutes are less compressed, which frees the legs to pedal more efficiently, and the position of knees over the feet is more neurtral, again, freeing up the spin-factor.

And spending this much time in the drops increases speed, too.

Okay, in case anyone can't tell, really digging this saddle.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Okay, after much fiddling with saddle height, my previous height from center of the bottom brack to top of the saddle was 725 mm, new height is between 722-723 mm. Since the rear is raised about half a centimeter higher than the old, this means I'm actually a little more extended through the legs than when riding the Toupe/Ruby.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Interesting.

The saddle that the Charge came with had a slightly raised rear, which felt good. The back of the saddle was very comfortable. The nose, however...

I think the Romin might be an option on the hypothetical next bike...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Re: Specialized Romin (Expert)

Are you talking about Charge Scoop?