Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

You could very well be going too wide. My sit bones measure 134 and looking at the Specialized chart my perfect saddle for road riding is supposedly 155 for everything apart from an extreme time trial position. I tried a 155 Ruby and had the same problem you had.
    However, I'm now starting to question the sit bones plus 20mm rule as I'm presently riding a saddle that's only 135mm wide and my pelvic bones are directly on it.
    Look at the Steve Hogg site where he discusses SMP saddles. Even if you never plan to try that particular saddle, there are two very good photos of a plastic pelvis sitting on a saddle that explains why sit bones don't actually contact a saddle unless you are bolt upright on a recumbent or pedal-forward style bike.
    http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...ll-about-smps/
    Queen of the sea beasts

That is something to consider, with the caveat that not everyone can (comfortably) ride on their pubic rami, either. Going narrower certainly gives one more options in terms of a T-shape.

Even for someone like me who does sit exclusively on the ischial tuberosities in a road position (which is why my soft tissue gets ground to hamburger in a deeper tuck when the rami get closer to the saddle), guidelines aren't commandments. A centimeter on each side to the outside of the outsides, is a necessary margin for tensioned leather saddles, but more of a nuance on monocoque shell saddles. How far are the outsides of your sit bones from the place on them where your weight is typically centered when you're riding straight down the road? How hard do you corner? How domed is the saddle? Do you shift around in the saddle while riding straight down the road?

Spec' at least used to have a 30 day return policy on saddles purchased from their website. So you could certainly try something narrower and see how it works for you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by nuliajuk View Post
    there are two very good photos of a plastic pelvis sitting on a saddle that explains why sit bones don't actually contact a saddle unless you are bolt upright on a recumbent or pedal-forward style bike.
    Thanks for that! Funny you mention it as I actually checked out my plastic skeleton. It's got narrower ITs than I do because it's not full size, but it got the picture in my head of how it all fits together.

With just a mile around my 'hood, I like the Toupe Expert better than the SI Diva already. The Diva will be returned tomorrow. I'm heading out now for a bike path ride with the Toupe to see how it goes. I did notice with this saddle that I needed to raise my stem a bit. Now I've probably fiddled with too much and have no idea where I'm supposed to be sitting or how far forward. I'll get it all worked out eventually, I'm sure.

Going from the Diva to the Toupe, you should need to raise the saddle, since the Toupe is much smaller top to bottom. Are you getting the proper leg extension? That could be why you raised the stem, you felt too low. If this were me, I'd put the stem back the way it was, and raise the saddle. You may also need to move the saddle forward a bit. (Maybe!), because raising it will increase the distance from saddle to bars.

Or, even better, have your bike shop do it, assuming they gave you a good fitting already. If not, that could be iffy.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-11-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Oops...I meant I raised the saddle (didn't raise the stem)! Got my anatomy confused. Basically, though, I went from a different saddle to the Diva without raising...then raised with the Toupe. I tried to get back on today, but I am way too sore....and on the inside edge of my sit bones. Doesn't hurt to sit anywhere else.

Once I find a saddle I like, I will get a good fitting done for sure. Thanks!

Good! But too bad about the saddle. If you can go without a cutout, that is best because they can cause issues. I cannot. CANNOT! Ride without a cutout. Although, if it's the inside edge, it's possible you could use a size smaller and not have that problem.

Maybe the Bontrager already mentioned, or Fizik would work for you. The Fizik Vitesse and Vesta are two possibilities. I've tried both. I consider them T-shaped, but really need someone else's opinion to verify. I think Specialized does have a few saddles with no cutout.

Oh, and the Selle San Marco Glamour Aspide. That is definitely quite T-shaped.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-11-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I am going to try the Bontrager Affinity if I can find it locally. Only two dealers in my area, so here's hoping! I'm not sure what level of padding, but I think I'll start with the mid-range RL and go from there. I'm pretty sure these cutouts are causing me some issues and if I don't need them, why add another issue to one that seems like a mountain anyway? Thanks for all the advice and help ladies...I'll keep you posted.

Just out of curiosity...do the cutouts bother those of you that need them? Seems like the edges would still be pretty rough on bones.

Picked up an Affinity R today -- they don't stock the RL, but will be happy to order. I can see tell that the padding on the nose may be a problem...I've lowered the nose twice. Hopefully this is the one. I'm kind of tired of running around chasing saddles.

Going to sound like an odd question, but how tall are you? And where, approximately, are your saddles situated on rails on the seat post. Is the saddle all the way back, somewhere in the middle, or all the way forward? Do you feel like you need longer rails to adjust the saddle properly? Or would short ones do it?

Just thinking. There are a couple of Brooks in the S or short models that would be the right width for you, but they have short rails. They do work for some people, but the majority have issues with them.

And Skyking's store carries some other brands of leather saddle that could be worth looking at. They have a generous return policy.

Yeah, the saddle search is a pain in the...you know.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-12-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I'm a little over 5'6" and the Bontrager I picked up today is probably in the middle of the rails. I think it feels pretty good. Will get a ride in tomorrow to be sure, but so far, the best of the four I've tried. Still might like the RL better, but that will be an easy test.

Just rode on my new Lithia 2 nights in a row. Really liking it so far!

How is the Bontrager Michelle?

I've been sidelined a few days with an injury, but I'm hoping to give it a good ride after work this evening. It feels good so far, but I may want them to order the "RL" for me to try. Glad you like your Lithia, Penny!