Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Show & Tell: Upgrades!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My nearly 3 year old road bike just got its first major upgrade - Velocity A23 rims and Velocity hubs:

My previous Mavic Aksium rims will go on my CX bike. My existing rear cassette (11-25, I think) will stay on my roadie and the new cassette (11-28, I believe) that we ordered with the new rims will go on my CX bike. My current cassette on my CX bike is 11-26 and there are spots on some CX courses where I *almost* make it to the top of a hill before I simply cannot mash the crank around any further. Really sucks dismounting just a couple of yards from the top (one of these days I'll actually drop my extra 25#s and this will be less of an issue).

What's your latest upgrade?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    My nearly 3 year old road bike just got its first major upgrade - Velocity A23 rims and Velocity hubs:

My previous Mavic Aksium rims will go on my CX bike. My existing rear cassette (11-25, I think) will stay on my roadie and the new cassette (11-28, I believe) that we ordered with the new rims will go on my CX bike. My current cassette on my CX bike is 11-26 and there are spots on some CX courses where I *almost* make it to the top of a hill before I simply cannot mash the crank around any further. Really sucks dismounting just a couple of yards from the top (one of these days I'll actually drop my extra 25#s and this will be less of an issue).

What's your latest upgrade?
    How do you like the rims so far? Do they live up to the advertised claims about better handling and smoother riding (due to the resulting rounder tire profile and lower needed tire PSI)?
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Ho Silver View Post
    How do you like the rims so far? Do they live up to the advertised claims about better handling and smoother riding (due to the resulting rounder tire profile and lower needed tire PSI)?
    I haven't been able to get a ride in, yet (have one planned in a little bit), since I was working the ODRAM ride all weekend. Everyone I know loves them for those reasons, though. The PSI question is a good one. I usually roll 110ish. What should I be inflating these to...?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Did a short ride today...I couldn't tell that the handling was different so much as they moved so much more effortlessly. And they had an interesting metallic hum and really quiet freewheel. Also they made my brakes SUPER grabby, which gave me an almost oh sh!t moment when I came to my first stop sign and nearly endo'd!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I just ordered a custom set of wheels for my road bike yesterday. I got the A23's too. Can not wait to get them. 3-5 weeks is going to be soooooooo long.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Trek-chick View Post
    I just ordered a custom set of wheels for my road bike yesterday. I got the A23's too. Can not wait to get them. 3-5 weeks is going to be soooooooo long.
    I think you will really love them! What will yours look like?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I think you will really love them! What will yours look like?
    I am getting black rims/hubs/nips and white CX-Ray spokes. I will post a photo before/after of my bike w/all my new upgrades, when they come in.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

That sounds dead sexay!!!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Ooh, those are sweet rims, Zoom!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Oh, and I need to order some Kool Stop pads for my CAADX. Plus some Bird Cage bottle cages from Portland Bike works.

Little things, but hopefully will make a difference.
    PDW has some absolutely gorgeous things. I want one of their racks as well as the bird cages. Curse my lack of income! (One of my long-term goals is a Soma Buena Vista. Those would be perfect for it, I think.) Also, their CO2 inflator is called "The Shiny Object." This amuses me greatly.

I have "upgrades" planned for my mountain bike/hybrid, though it's mostly for functionality rather than a true upgrade. I've already started. Stainless steel bottle cages to replace the black ones it came with, new grips (although I can't actually get the old ones off...), tires, seat post and saddle (though I haven't been able to hunt one down yet), new pedals (actually the platforms that came with my Avail), a rack and panniers. I'll post a picture when Godzilla is ready.

I also got new wheels and tires for the roadie. Nothing fancy--not worth it. It's a stop-gap measure until I can afford the new road bike. OK, the tires are fancy. It has a set of Gatorskins, and a set of GP4000S for when the Gators wear out.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

IIRC, you see that combo a lot on entry-level cruiser-type bikes. It'll work, if it's not a bike you're doing anything major on.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Zoom Zoom,

What are your thoughts on the A23's after a couple of weeks of use? I am contemplating a set for my Amira to replace the stock Mavic Askium Race wheels. The Askiums seems slow to spin up to speed to me. Wheels on other bikes do not feel that way, so I think I need to get something else for the Amira. The Velocity A23's look like a good value for what you get and they are handmade in Michigan. Would appreciate your additional thoughts on the wheels.

thanks,
    P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Re: Show & Tell: Upgrades!

My bike just got new FSA SL-K handlebars. I wasn't counting on upgrading the stock anchor anytime soon, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse

Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    Zoom Zoom,

What are your thoughts on the A23's after a couple of weeks of use? I am contemplating a set for my Amira to replace the stock Mavic Askium Race wheels. The Askiums seems slow to spin up to speed to me. Wheels on other bikes do not feel that way, so I think I need to get something else for the Amira. The Velocity A23's look like a good value for what you get and they are handmade in Michigan. Would appreciate your additional thoughts on the wheels.

thanks,
    P2
    I LOVE them...I can't believe how much nicer they are than the Aksiums that came on my bike. Those are going on my CX bike. I'd have the A23s on that bike, too, if cost were no issue. They roll fast and feel a TON lighter. Very noticeable on uphills.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Thanks! Santa will be shopping this week!!!! He'll let me do a test ride then bike with wheels will be put away til Xmas. That's why you gotta have N+1!!!

P2

Ordered a custom Velocity A23 Pro build yesterday. I am anxious to see them in a couple of weeks.

P2