Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Good idea about having rentals...this would be particularly good in an area that has a lot of tourists.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Good thread! I suppose my shop would be in the downtown area of a smaller city with a lot of cyclists and would cater to utility/commuter/touring cyclists more so than racing types. There would be refurbished used bikes along with new ones, and lots of accessories to make bikes more useful for everyday transportation--racks, panniers, trailers, fenders, lights etc. A mix of men and women on staff, with people who are knowledgeable about fitting and helping people choose the right bike for their style of riding. Ability to get parts in quickly so the turnaround time for repairs is kept to a minimum. Classes on riding safely in traffic, how to use a bike for transportation, and basic maintenance/repairs. I would try to stock bikes in a wide range of sizes so shorter or taller people can test ride. As far as clothing goes, I would definitely carry Ibex! Maybe a section for clothing consignment as well.

ETA: As far as brands for new bikes, probably Surly and Jamis. Maybe others as well but definitely those two--nice versatile steel-framed bikes.
    Jolt, if you are ever in Boise, you will have to come see us. 2/3 of what you said describes our shop but as we are small we only stock Surly's, no room for refurbished although we do keep a list of used for sale by cusomters and don't carry clothes
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    This is to make the store as accessible as possible for cyclists....who bike like me to do errands /don't have a car /near a very heavily used bike path and if you want to encourage others to bike for transportation/daily lifestsyle (and they tend to have a carrier, pannier racks, etc.). Trail was intended to mean more a defined bike path for commuters.

The most well-known and used bike stores where I've lived and biked in Toronto (14 yrs.), Vancouver (8 yrs.) and Calgary are all with half km. or right along a marked bike route. Sure you get people who browse, look around and won't buy..but you will also get more people who will buy and prefer safety/convenience of cycling on bike paths, bike lanes, instead of far flung mall locations with no safe cycling access.
    Ah, I misunderstood. I rarely drive anywhere, so the idea of a store that doesn't have access for a bike just didn't cross my radar screen.

I agree on the bikeability of the store, but I'd like transit access, and (outside of big cities) some sort of parking too, for those people who do drive.

I'd like to see more higher end bikes in small sizes/WSD available to try in the shop. As a women with a very "womenly" geometry (short reach, long legs) I am frustrated by the lack of choices for me when I walk into a shop and look at bikes. Yes, I want carbon and high end components.
    I do understand the inventory issue though, a shop doesn't want to get stuck with bikes they don't think will sell. It's a risk for me to have to order a bike without having a chance to ride it though. My last two bikes have been purchased this way and luckily worked out. I do appreciate the shop that is willing to work including special orders, swapping components etc. to get me what I need/like and not try to sell me something I don't want or like just because it is what they have. Maybe if more women start buying higher end bikes it will get better.
    2011 Cannondale CAADX 105
    2012 Jamis Dragon 29er
    2012 Jamis Xenith Endura Comp

Quote Originally Posted by Kernyl View Post
    I'd like to see more higher end bikes in small sizes/WSD available to try in the shop. As a women with a very "womenly" geometry (short reach, long legs) I am frustrated by the lack of choices for me when I walk into a shop and look at bikes. Yes, I want carbon and high end components.
    I do understand the inventory issue though, a shop doesn't want to get stuck with bikes they don't think will sell. It's a risk for me to have to order a bike without having a chance to ride it though. My last two bikes have been purchased this way and luckily worked out. I do appreciate the shop that is willing to work including special orders, swapping components etc. to get me what I need/like and not try to sell me something I don't want or like just because it is what they have. Maybe if more women start buying higher end bikes it will get better.
    The shop I work at got stuck with a high-end carbon road bike in size 44 because of a special order situation (not going into details). It took a year to sell that bike because of its size and pricepoint.

I do understand your frustration though. I'm not particularly short, but short-torsoed with long arms and legs. I ride ~50cm frames, and I can't tell you the last time I got to test ride a bike prior to buying. I've made do with trying similar bikes and studying geometry charts, which is admittedly not ideal.