Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What a difference the bike size makes...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been riding bikes for a long time and because I'm fairly short I've been riding smaller bikes. I just recently bought a bike that was just 3 cm. larger than my last two bikes and already I'm feeling amazed at the difference. I thought my hand issues were my main problem with riding in the drops and now I can ride in the drops and my hands aren't an issue anymore. I'm pretty surprised that that small of an adjustment would make a difference in my comfort, Of course, I do have to say the new bike is carbon and the last two were aluminum so I know that's part of my new comfort too.

I guess I just feel a little foolish for waiting so long to make this change. It just came down to spending so extra money...who knew??
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post
    I've been riding bikes for a long time and because I'm fairly short I've been riding smaller bikes. I just recently bought a bike that was just 3 cm. larger than my last two bikes and already I'm feeling amazed at the difference. I thought my hand issues were my main problem with riding in the drops and now I can ride in the drops and my hands aren't an issue anymore. I'm pretty surprised that that small of an adjustment would make a difference in my comfort, Of course, I do have to say the new bike is carbon and the last two were aluminum so I know that's part of my new comfort too.

I guess I just feel a little foolish for waiting so long to make this change. It just came down to spending so extra money...who knew??
    Glad you like your new bike so much better. So, did you go from a 47/48 to a 50/51 cm? Depending on the bikes in question, the size difference may not be as dramatic as it seems. Bike size is usually based on the length of the seat tube, but that number doesn't tell you anything about any of the bike's other measurements or angles. You really have to compare the specific geometries to see just how your new bike differs from the last two. Still, it sounds like you're on a bike that simply fits you better and rides more smoothly. That's great.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher