Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hey look! It's another saddle question!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm starting to ride again and rode three+ miles today. It was great, but the area inside my thighs toward the rear hurt like heck (hard to explain, but it's not my sits bones -- almost seems medial of those). It's a chafing thing, I think. My saddle probably needs to be replaced, but could this be related to the position of the saddle? Is it too far forward or back? Could it be a transition issue?

Here's what I have: http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...ductId=4263293 . Picked it up on sale just because I like the white.

I'm ready to STOP riding until I get this fixed....

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm going to search for the sits bone test and see if I can do that tonight so I know my measurements.

Okay, thanks anyway, but I think I've figured out how to measure and I'll just go from there. Looks like a width issue more than anything.

3 words: too pear shaped

Yep, if I rode that saddle I'd have issues in the same area you're having issues. I'm on the Bontrager Affinity RL and it could still be a bit more T-shaped, but it's the best combo of features/shape that's in existence for my needs.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

It could be lots of things. I'm having problems this year that I didn't have last year, and the saddle is the same. In my case it's either a problem with new shorts or the saddle position was off a bit, since we moved it as part of setting the cleat position on my new shoes.

But the best place to start is getting the right width.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

It could just be too soft, and your thighs are pushing in and rubbing against the side of the saddle. Personally I like Terry saddles -- Ti Butterfly, by choice -- but each backside is different.

So, sitting in modeling clay covered in saran wrap on the edge of my tub, I'm pretty sure I've come up with 127mm twice. That's about center to center in the depressions. Does that sound about right?

Would a Brooks B17 work for me? I have a friend getting rid of an Apple Green...and I love green!

Thanks for the info, Muirenn, I appreciate it! I will dig deeper over the weekend. And maybe I'll try to get better measurements....I only left dimples in the clay with my big end.

A b17 may be to narrow, however as you have access to one for free it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see how it feels. what is your bike? What position do you ride in ie) do you have drop handlebars, swept back, straight etc.
    the reason I ask is my Rivet Pearl is perfect on my touring bike with my drop bars but when I put it on the Surly Disc Trucker with the moustache bars I was sitting more upright and it wasn't as comfortable.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Sky King, I have a Trek Pilot 2.0 WSD. I usually ride on the hoods...rarely in the drops. That could change with time, but for now... http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ek/pilot20wsd/

I don't really know how they "classify" the Pilot. And, my saddle is more even with the handlebar than that picture. I've never understood why they raise those saddles so high in pics.

I think I'm passing on the B17....it's already broken in to someone else and though it probably doesn't matter, it just seems unhygienic to me.

On a whim, I stopped by Performance today and picked up a Selle Italia Diva. I don't think it solved my pear shaped problem. I *think* the width feels better, but hard to tell when the thing is grinding into the side of my thighs.