Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Dream bike fit. How much would you pay?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Ladies!!

First I need to apologize. I feel that a forum is a community and if you are to be part of a community, you need to give as well as receive. I've not given much to TE lately, and yet I'm back to ask for more from you.

Here it is.

I've recently taken a more advanced Bike Physical Therapy course. As part of my efforts to improve the services that I provide to clients I'm considering purchasing a fitting unit that would allow me to do a custom fit on someone from scratch for road position, mountain bike, time trial or triathlon. The fitting unit is not cheap. So I'm trying to find out how much people would be willing to pay for such a service.

Here's how it would go, you come in and tell me what purpose of the bike would be then I'd fit you accordingly with the saddle and/or handlebar of your choice and we'd then be able to figure out what top tube length, seat tube angle, head tube angle, and stand over would be ideal for the intended use of the bike and your personal body related fit issues. If we really wanted to geek out we could also figure out details like stem length/angle, crank length, pedal details, seat post... Keep in mind that the fit would not only be based on performance but also the biomechanical "problems" that each client presents with. For example, all other things being equal, the aerodynamic Triathlon position for customer A is not the same as customer B (even if they are the same height etc) if customer B has tight hamstrings.

Since I live in a smallish town with a very athletic population, a lot of bikes get ordered for clients without test riding. The LBS simply cannot stock and hold that kind of inventory. This would allow me to help the local athlete order a bike with confidence that the size and geometry will work for them with minimal tweaking when the bike arrives.

So my question is, how much would be reasonable to charge for this kind of service?

I have to be able to charge enough to justify the equipment purchase. So some market feedback would be really useful.

Thanks in advance.

Meanwhile, I'll try to give a little more and be a good community member.

Cassie
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

My husband just visited such a fitter and paid $250 (happily) to have his bike fit to his specific body. This same fitter will charge $275 for a "new bike fit", which will give the client a list of appropriate bikes/sizes (IOW, which frames fit most naturally), and this includes fitting the bike after purchase.

If I recall, he also gives multi-bike discounts for the same rider, as well as a reduced price for junior riders.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

Thanks for your response. It's really helpful.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Yup. About the same amount here in California. I've seen from 200 up to 350 or so. 250 is more inline. The person with 350 has a really good rep and also has PT background to address particular biomechanical pain points.
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

I'll likely have to pay about $3000 for the fitting unit. So billing $250 per fit means I'd have to do 12 fits to recover my investment. Interesting, that's one fit per month.

Hmmmmm. Food for thought.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I'd say something in the range given by everyone else, and possibly a little more if you throw in some unusual extras, like pedal suggestions (or at least what to look for).
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Yeah, I'm in agreement with everyone else on the price. As far as "unusual extras" I think handlebar guidance would be pretty valuable - once you get past width, reach and drop I have no idea how to choose a bend, and I think a lot of people do that by trial and error, or more likely, by "trial and living with whatever it is."
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I agree with the prices listed. The Guru fit I had was 300.00, but since I was doing it to buy the bike, I didn't get charged. My DH also had his other bike tweaked based on this fitting, which was included (minus the price of the parts). I like my other bike the way it is, so I didn't take that option.
    A friend just had a fit at another shop for 150.00. He is very happy, but I wouldn't trust that shop.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Yeah, I'm in agreement with everyone else on the price. As far as "unusual extras" I think handlebar guidance would be pretty valuable - once you get past width, reach and drop I have no idea how to choose a bend, and I think a lot of people do that by trial and error, or more likely, by "trial and living with whatever it is."
    +1. I stopped in a bike shop in the Chicagoland area once (Turin in Evanston) and they had a variety of saddles to try as well as part of their fitting process, but I realize that they might have been in a better position to offer that as a retailer.

I also concur with the prices that have been suggested.

Good luck with it if you decide to go forward with it, Wahine. I would so love to find a PT that is also a trained bike fitter. What a resource!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Dream bike fit. How much would you pay?

A pre fit here costs $275, and once you get the bike you bring it in and he'll set it up. It's definitely worth it.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Knowing where you live, I think you have a broader reach than you are giving yourself credit for People from Portland will be driving out to see you when you make this investment. In Boise, we refer people to "on the bike" a professional fitter in town that is not affiliated with any given shop, his costs start at $85 and go to $350. However he is "after bike purchase" fitter. Additionally, I wonder if once you are ready you can put out messages asking for used handlebars. etc. I know, from experience, the expense of having a large variety of bars for people to try out . I would be happy to refer you to people who are looking for help to determine size, etc. prior to purchase. I also think there may be opportunity for affiliate marketing with different bike mfg. and if interested perhaps Portland Bike Clubs. Can't wait to hear what you decide
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

The price in California is around $250.

If you purchase the custom bike, the $250 includes the bike fit for the rider after the bike actually arrives also.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

This is what my LBS charges:

Professional Road/Mountain Fitting $150
    F.I.S.T. Triathlon/TT Fitting $200
    Retül Road/Mountain Bike Fitting $250
    Retül Triathlon/TT Fitting $300

The fitter who handled my last bike purchase has moved to another shop. I've looked on their website but don't see anything about the fit services they offer or what they charge.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Knowing where you live, I think you have a broader reach than you are giving yourself credit for People from Portland will be driving out to see you when you make this investment. In Boise, we refer people to "on the bike" a professional fitter in town that is not affiliated with any given shop, his costs start at $85 and go to $350. However he is "after bike purchase" fitter. Additionally, I wonder if once you are ready you can put out messages asking for used handlebars. etc. I know, from experience, the expense of having a large variety of bars for people to try out . I would be happy to refer you to people who are looking for help to determine size, etc. prior to purchase. I also think there may be opportunity for affiliate marketing with different bike mfg. and if interested perhaps Portland Bike Clubs. Can't wait to hear what you decide
    Thank you for this very detailed and well thought out response.

And thanks to everyone for sending me numbers. I appreciate it.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I would love a fitting like this! Especially before I (eventually) buy a custom bike. That would answer the nagging question of seat tube angle for me.
    That makes me wonder, Wahine. When I got my Moots, I worked with the local Moots dealer. Their fitter used what I assume is a similar fitting device to what you are considering buying. Is there any chance that you could partner with any shops and/or builders who want to offer their customers this type of service as part of the custom-bike designing process? I realize a lot of builders work directly with their customers on designing a bike and that they may also already have local dealers with fitters who facilitiate this process, but for as many builders as there now are (it seems like the number is growing) and as popular as cycling is in your area, it seems like there could be a way to market yourself in this regard.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher