Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Wheels

Wheels

To disable ads, please log-in.

The wheelset that came with my road bike has not been reliable. They go out of true, and I've broken a few rear spokes. Time to make a change.

I'm not interested in saving weight or getting anything flashy, I just want some wheels that are as reliable as possible.

My LBS is recommending HED Ardennes CL's or Mavic Open Pros laced 32/28 with Ultegra hubs. Any advice on these two options?

Thanks!

Both are definitely great options! I have a pair of Open Pros that I built in 1998 and they are very reliable. They were my everyday wheels for quite some time, but now are on a bike that is either on the trainer or used early/late season... even though they could still be used for everyday wheels!

Good luck!

I don't know much about the HED Ardennes CL's but the Mavis are nice rims. My DBF has Mavic Ksyrium Elites that he has ridden very hard over the past years (well over 15,000 miles) and the bearings are still the same as day 1. They've only ever come *maybe* 1mm out of true after thousands of miles.
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it.

2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0
    2007 Fuji Absolute 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by meganm View Post
    The wheelset that came with my road bike has not been reliable. They go out of true, and I've broken a few rear spokes. Time to make a change.

I'm not interested in saving weight or getting anything flashy, I just want some wheels that are as reliable as possible.

My LBS is recommending HED Ardennes CL's or Mavic Open Pros laced 32/28 with Ultegra hubs. Any advice on these two options?

Thanks!
    It sounds like your wheels were not well built ...the reliability of a set of wheels is mostly a function of the quality of the building process, assuming decent components. So I'd focus on who is building the wheels and seek info on wheel builders. I've seen recommendations in these forums in the past and, hopefully, someone will jump in and name some good sources for you.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

Mavic Open Pros are solid training wheels and hard to put out of true. They are normally the go to training wheel for most.

Another training wheel option along those lines are DT Swiss R450s.