Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Fast and Fartlek Friday. And it's great that GPS means I don't have to count laps on the track; did 3.2 miles of urban fartlek, using things like garbage trucks and school buses and stoplights to determine when to sprint and slow. That took me to the ancient track, where I did a mile in 7:31. Then I jogged home, about .75 mile, except my legs were sped up and it was an 8:30 pace for a jog. Now I'm very hungry...

I started keeping my running log online on Jan 1, 2010, and today passed 5000 miles logged. Hard to believe!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    skhill, that's awesome! At the end of the year last year, I tried to figure out where I could have run to if I'd done all the yearly miles in one shot. I would have made it to somewhere on the coast of BC (I picked that direction because I was having this conversation with a friend who lives in Victoria). Where would your 5000 take you?

RnR, I love days like that. Makes you think "Huh. Maybe it's not all that bad!"

Yes, I wiped out. I have been falling a lot this year, enough that I am wondering if my proprioception is off somehow. My shoulder is mostly OK; it's just sore now (and I can't lie on that side). No backpacking for a while, I'm afraid.

I had a frustrating but good run in the mountains yesterday (I was going to go today but the weather forecast for today was 50% chance of rain and lightning--uh, no). I didn't choose the best trail: I chose one that is really, really rocky and tough to run with any steadiness--this was the frustrating part. I ended up hiking a lot, but that's OK. It was a good adventure in the wilderness and I had good weather. High point was a pass called Rocky Sea at ~11,300' and low point was 9,810', so it was all pretty high. Bonus was that there were lots of friendly folks out and I saw lots of pikas and pine grosbeaks. I had no idea how far my planned route would be, but I figured between 20 and 30 miles. It ended up being about 27.5 miles. Most of my photos didn't turn out well because the air is kind of smoky from all the fires in the region, but I've attached a few. The rocky photo (the first one) is what I would call "average" rockiness for this trail. Some parts were better and some were much worse. The other photos are the pass from the east side as I was headed back up (I went up and over and then ran around the basin on that side and then back over again), a bridge through a meadow (see all our beetle-killed trees? ), and the pass in the distance, from the highway as I was leaving. I did fall once (well, of course!), but it wasn't too bad. No blood and I managed to avoid hitting my bad shoulder.

I ran about 7.5 miles this AM with DH. The first mile or so was tough (skyrocketing heartrate!) but then I felt pretty good. It helps that we were going realllllllly slow

Happy running, everyone!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	highline_avg-rockiness.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	16632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocky-pass-from-east.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	16633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pinto-Trail-bridge.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	16634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocky-pass-from-hwy.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	16635

Wow yellow, nice pictures. I am envious of your running terrain, rocks and all! Nothing that exciting for us yesterday. Just a short quick loop with some pick-ups. I am doing a long road ride with my husband and his band of VERY fast merry men today and I wanted to conserve as much energy as I could. It probably won't help but I had to try.

I'd love to have some company. Come to Utah!

I run alone most of the time, which is fine. But I'd also love to have a consistent, low-drama running buddy.

I'd run with you Sue, but you're too fast! Oh ... and a little too far away.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use my glutes and hamstrings when I run. Everything I do is very short now.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I saw a river otter on my run at the park this morning. He was on the edge of the path around the reservoir "doing business". I also watched some duckies.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Yellow
    be careful,I might just take you up on that. I know you are faster than I am, BÚT, I am drama free, AND, my own running partner (not my hubs, my friend) has flaked out on me......so.....maybe I will head west...hmmmm.

Over the weekend, I did my first 6 mile run since my surgery. I was dreading it but I made myself go anyway (I'm on a 1/2M training plan). Shockingly, it was the first enjoyable run since my injury! I actually was able to think about how nice it was to be out and about instead of using every spare thought to talk myself into putting one foot in front of the other (like all of my runs this year). I think I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the long dark tunnel of recovery!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

That's great news GLC!

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Good to see you back at it GLC. I read your blogs. That was a long recovery with your foot. It must have been very difficult.

Yesterday we did tempo intervals. I let my husband pick how long they would be, and he wanted looooong. OY. But is was a good workout. We are heading north to the mountains for a long w/e before school starts, so we are swapping a day of hiking for our long run this week.

GLC, good to have you back!

RnR, have a good trip.

Tempo. Sigh. I think about doing some structured stuff but don't. I'm not training for anything at the moment (other than training for getting through the holiday season), so I use that as my excuse.

Count me among the walking wounded, at least for today. Yesterday I had to use a burst of speed and all my agility to avoid getting killed by a driver who doesn't know that you must stop for a red light. She just missed me. Thankfully I landed mostly on the grass. But I seem to have strained my calf, and every time I sit for a while it's quite painful when I try to use it again. (It does loosen up once I get moving). I'm hoping taking it easy for a couple days will be enough...

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Over the weekend, I did my first 6 mile run since my surgery. I was dreading it but I made myself go anyway (I'm on a 1/2M training plan). Shockingly, it was the first enjoyable run since my injury! I actually was able to think about how nice it was to be out and about instead of using every spare thought to talk myself into putting one foot in front of the other (like all of my runs this year). I think I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the long dark tunnel of recovery!
    Yay!!! So happy you are back out there! I finally got a referral to my favorite PT to try to fix my knee issues (patella femoral syndrome) so that *crossing fingers* I'll be able to start running.

What shoes are you using?? Just curious
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Hi Blueberry!

I'm running in the NB Minimus Road. They redesigned them for 2013 and they are wider than they used to be. I have a pair in regular width that I like for walking around/casual wear, but for running, I ordered a pair in D and they are quite comfy. They are super slippery on trails but until I can find a new trail shoe that will work, I'm making due. My old NB Minumus WT10 (trail version) are no longer wide enough for me in the mid-foot. They rub something awful on my incision/scar tissue area on my right foot. Grumble, grumble.

I ran 3 miles last night on the treadmill. I had to skip dinner to make it to bowling after work (league night) and then had to run immediately after getting home, so I was literally running on empty. It was a surprisingly decent run anyway (for a treadmill). I am now even more convinced that I may have turned that corner!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Hi girls,
    We are in the mountains and enjoying some fall weather. As planned we swapped a run for a hike today. Just under 7 miles, but a few thousand feet of vertical, so a good workout.

Glad everyone is doing well. Blueberry, I had a terrible case of PF syndrome a few years back. If you need any advice, I would be happy to help.

Yellow, we do the tempo stuff year round even if we do not have an event looming. It keeps the workouts fresh. We call it working on " fast feet"