Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Itching to upgrade Trek 7200, but is it right to upgrade?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a short 5'1" female and got a used Trek 7200 15" bike about 3 years ago which I adore!!! I only ride on bike paths with some hills (when I'm doing the Central Park loop in NYC) and I just wear regular sneakers. My trip is typically 20 miles each weekend. Based on my bike computer, I can keep an average of 13 mph in the long-run when doing flats (getting to 27mph when going downhill sometimes). All parts of my bike are stock parts except for the saddle. Features I love about this bike is:

1) upright seating position. I am just a recreational rider and have no dreams to be a super serious rider. It also allows me to be a more confident rider b/c I can see everything around me and it's very comfortable

2) the straight handle-bars. I know some people like the drop handles, but I prefer straight bars.

3) the bike feels very stable and sturdy. The reason I picked it was b/c the bike rental places were renting out Trek 7000 series and I thought it was it good enough to be safe for rentals, I should feel pretty safe on it too.

But now I'm itching to upgrade my bike to either a 7.Xfx series or a higher 7X00; wondering if an upgrade can give me some more ompfh (maybe even more speed than what I can already do but yet still feel very sturdy instead of wobbly) or make riding even more fun than it already is, or if it's overkill for what I use my bike for. I definitely want to keep the upright seating position & straight handle-bar features. What do you think? How much more bent-over are the 7.x series? And b/c the tires are thinner, will the ride feel more wobbly. Thanks so much!

Re: Itching to upgrade Trek 7200, but is it right to upgrade?

I recommend you hit your lbs and try one out. That way you'll know exactly how they feel.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I have a Trek 7.5FX and DH has a 7300. They are very different bikes. The FX series is much lighter, yet durable. The stock FX is not as upright as the 7000 series. That can be remedied with a stem riser. I did this to my FX and I like it so much better (I need to be upright or have drop bars for my comfort). Is it a worthwhile upgrade? That is up to you. It's all about what makes you happy and want to ride even more. You need to head out to several LBS' and try out what they have in your budget. Don't limit yourself to just Trek, all the major manufacturers have similar models (Specialized Vita and Giant Dash, for example). Exploring the shops and test riding the different models should be a fun experience that ends with a bike that puts a smile on your face.

Enjoy the hunt,
    P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem