Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Takin' it to the streets...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello everybody!

I've been taking spinning classes four times a week for almost a year. As a result I've lost fifty pounds and have improved my health a great deal... I'm currently undergoing treatment for cancer (don't worry, I'm going to ROCK this!) and I don't even want to know where I'd be right now without the stress release that comes from a good cycling session.

My current treatment series will be complete in March, following my final surgery, and as I'm recovering (both physically and financially) I'd like to start learning more about putting together the equipment and knowledge to cycle outdoors... I figure it's high time I get a real bike and have some real fun to look forward to!

I don't exactly know where to begin though. I asked around at the gym and was told about getting fitted for a bike. So, I did that, and then promptly learned how expensive this sport can be... Especially for a brat like me who falls in love with sexy, top-of-the-line equipment.

What are some good strategies for getting started and keeping my costs down without sacrificing my goal of becoming a total cycling badass?

Thanks for your help!

Hmmm, I guess the first thing would be to figure out how much you really can spend for, say, the initial layout and then your monthly additions to the gear stash.

Then you can gather infomration - there are some excellent books on cycling and women's cycling, though some stuff you really do have to find out for yourself (for example, everythign I read said "don't get a kickstand" but my bike and riding style said otherwise... and I often WEAR COTTON ) just because I already have all those ride t-shirts!

Making plans can be more than half the fun, right?

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    A great way to save money on your car and also get some exercise is to commute to work by bike. You will likely need to take a route that you would not take in your car. It's a great stress reliever, health-improver, and even saves the world a tiny bit.

And you don't need a fancy racing bike to commute on. You can get one of those later.

You are lucky enough to have some good bike shops in your area. Start there. Ask lots of questions. Do internet research. Check with local bike clubs and ask the riders opinions. This question has come up time and time again on this site so look for those posts and gather as much information as you can.

Good luck on your treatment and hope to see you out on the road soon.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Atomic
    What a great attitude you clearly have regarding your health and cancer. And attitude definitely affects your health. So you're golden!
    I suggest starting with something used. Ebay perhaps? I am upgrading only 1 year after buying my bike, and I know lots of others have too. It would have been a lot smarter to buy what I thought I wanted used and then figured out what I really wanted. But you need to first decide where and what type of riding you want to do. Road, commuting, mountain, combination etc. Have fun with the research!

Hi Atomic,

Wow! Congratulations on getting back into shape, and I agree with doc, your attitude to the big C is fantastic, and to be applauded.

To me, Ebay is fantastic, and for clothing gear, I thoroughly recommend buying from one of the Ebay stores, as they generally have great ratings, and you know they have a vested interest in making sure they give good service, & product at an excellent price.

I've not bought parts or a bike from Ebay, but I know people who have and have generally had good experiences.

The best part of buying gear, is doing the research and figuring out what you want to get! So best of luck, and we're all in the journey with you. Keep us posted in how you're doin'.