Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think I will be skipping the running today. Sigh... I am going to do a slow ride with a friend, since my work appointment got rescheduled. My back is really stiff/hurting on the one side that is the culprit. I've been ramping up the exercises from the PT, but I may have to see him to get out of this cycle.
    Catrin, everything I wear running can also be worn for the gym or hiking, x country skiing, or just walking. Except for the socks, it all does double duty.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin - I hope your back feels better soon! That is good to hear about being able to do double duty with everything. It will depend on how cold my asthma will tolerate running if I will need to get a thermal running jacket. My thermal bike jacket is something like 12 sizes too large - it would literally fit 3 of me. That is fine for the bike since I use a hydration pack, but not so much for running.

I had something kind of freaky happen earlier this week related to riding - I may not be riding for a period of time until I get over it - just plain terrified to ride right now. I am SO scared to ride that I think that very fear will cause a problem related to second guessing myself and flinching in traffic. WHAT happened doesn't matter, but I need time to process/deal with it. It isn't like I am able to go on nice long rides anyway right now. So I will focus on what passes for trail running for me and my gym work until I deal with this. At least I've a trainer at home to go along with my Jungle Gym
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-18-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Our coach had assigned us some cardio "homework" so I decided to fulfill it via trail running 30 minutes of slow paced running at 2 minutes running/2 minutes fast walk. I am VERY pleased to report that my heel cord is only very mildly aggravated, my knee and Achilles in the other leg are just fine! This time I decided to run all the uphills that fell in my running splits rather than wimping out and walking them, and that went well. I am not talking about very long climbs. My average HR for the entire 30 minutes was only 125, right at the bottom of what I consider my training zone. Felt fine afterwards..and I must admit that lately I've been walking far less than that but he wanted us to put in equal times of less than max effort and something closer to resting.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-18-2013 at 02:03 PM.

I dropped by an LRS today that does free video gait analysis on a treadmill. They confirmed that I do have a neutral stride and the Brooks Cascadias another LRS sold me are a great choice for me. They also showed me the Brooks Ghosts should I decide to get a road running shoe for gym work. Nothing wrong with trail shoes on the road, but of course that will cause them to wear more quickly. I think I need shoes for work before I can justify yet another pair of fitness related shoes...

Anyway, it was nice to have that choice confirmed, though as good as the Cascadias feel I knew they HAD to be the right choice!

Hoping to hit the trail tomorrow, but since they are calling for winds from 25-30 mph tomorrow afternoon I might head to the gym and do some track work instead. I really want to run in the woods tomorrow however so it will have to be pretty bad to run inside tomorrow. I was really heartened by my trail run last weekend, easy and no repercussions I think it is time to start adding a bit of distance and start to track it. If I am going to do a quarter marathon in January then I need to SLOWLY start adding distance, and I do mean slowly...

The LRS noted that one of my feet "toes out" a bit when I run, they said it can either be a tight hip or a leg length discrepancy. It IS the side where my hip is the tightest, so I will continue working on it.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-26-2013 at 03:33 PM.

I ran yesterday for the first time in 10 days. I wanted to go on the trail, but the beginning is full of wet spots and logs, which really slow me down, so I opted for the street. Not that I go fast there! I am sore, but I did my stretching when I got home and this morning, as well as taking a bath in Epson salts. I also noticed a callous developing near my bunion and my feet just feeling not right. I think i need new running shoes; they are 2 years old. They don't look worn, as I mostly use them at the gym, but I have gone through 3 cycles of running for 3-4 months at a time. These shoes (Mizunos)are really perfect for me, so I will get the same ones. Thinking of getting a pair of Aisics cross trainers for the gym work, but I am concerned that the toe box will be too narrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I ran yesterday for the first time in 10 days. I wanted to go on the trail, but the beginning is full of wet spots and logs, which really slow me down, so I opted for the street. Not that I go fast there! I am sore, but I did my stretching when I got home and this morning, as well as taking a bath in Epson salts. I also noticed a callous developing near my bunion and my feet just feeling not right. I think i need new running shoes; they are 2 years old. They don't look worn, as I mostly use them at the gym, but I have gone through 3 cycles of running for 3-4 months at a time. These shoes (Mizunos)are really perfect for me, so I will get the same ones. Thinking of getting a pair of Aisics cross trainers for the gym work, but I am concerned that the toe box will be too narrow.
    I've a narrow heel and wider toe box - you might like the Brooks Ghost if a neutral shoe works for you. Not that Brooks has me on their payroll but their shoes are the best things my feet have felt in 54 years! Glad to hear the Mizunos work for you - I did like mine a lot at first, it may be that I just wore them out much more quickly than I expected.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-26-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: can't spell...

My back/lumbar is killing me today, and I feel really beat up. I think I need to get myself fixed before I try running any more... I was feeling pretty good after 2 days of complete rest before yesterday, but I am worried that this won't resolve by x country ski season, where I wear a waist pack. I still do a little running and other jumping at the gym, in class, so I still need new shoes. I was just thinking that I might have to stop class for a couple of weeks and just go to spin class and lift weights, but I will let some more time go by. No matter how much I *want* to run, I can't let it interfere with riding or skiing, or at this point, anything. I suspect my bike crash also messed up my body, although the immediate injuries healed quickly, I haven't been the same, since.
    I took a brisk 2 mile walk today, which was fine, until I started going up the hill. Just a little pulling feeling, but it stopped. But, walking isn't enough for me, unless it's more like a hike.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Fall afternoon run!

Crankin - I hope you feel better soon and can sort this out! I know it has to be frustrating.

I am starting to think that I am sandbagging, if not, then it is time to start pushing this a bit I think. This was the first time I used tracking software, I used the Endomondo app for android. I figure I can't start adding distance to prepare for my January quarter marathon if I don't know how far I am running.

My focus right now is still conditioning, not speed or distance, but things have REALLY changed! I ran 38 minutes, only walked ~7 minutes of that. Ran right at 2 miles, was surprised to see I climbed 324 feet, I wouldn't have thought it to be that much, I was in a pretty flat part of the park. I had NO problems with calves, hamstrings, hip, nor heel-cord tightness and only very minor knee complaint. I felt pretty darn good afterwards - so I think it is time to start pushing myself a bit - though will have to be careful not to push too hard. Still focusing on keeping my feet beneath me, my elbows close to my body, and my head/neck straight while still scanning for roots and other obstacles.

I love the combination of green leaves and fallen crunchy leaves in this picture. Not much of my route today was this straight and flat, it was just the only time I thought about taking a picture.

I am starting to think my body is taking to this more quickly than it did mountain biking...

Attachment 16755
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-26-2013 at 06:11 PM.

My trail run felt great Saturday, as reported. Yesterday our coach started our usual Sunday conditioning workout (after an intense warm-up) with an 8-minute run on the inside track. That was fine, I didn't really have to stop - but my cranky knee was starting to hurt at the end. Unsure why - if it was still feeling the trail run from the day before or if I shouldn't do more than 400 meters or so at a time when I am not on the dirt.

All feels fine today - and of course that 8-minute run was just the start of the "main course" yesterday.

Due to being ill, and the weather last weekend, I've not been able to do any trail running for three weeks! I changed that today. Since it's been so long since I've been able to hit the trails, and I am still conditioning my body to this new activity, I decided to limit it to 2 miles. That was my goal, but I didn't quite make it I shouldn't have been surprised since I've not run outdoors for so long and we've not done any running recently in my group training sessions. I did 1.57 miles in 24 minutes...but that included walking time, a bathroom break and a water stop. I didn't walk much at all - and I stopped when my Achilles started hurting a bit. I had micro-tears in that tendon 4 years ago so I do pay attention to it.

Since that terrible bladder infection, I still have to take more...breaks than before so that wasn't a surprise. I ran far more than I walked, so I will take it. If I could figure out how to get my running app to stop when I stop that would help get a better idea of my overall time.

Temps breaking 50 this afternoon WITH lots of sunshine - time to break out my trail shoes

I am wondering about what to wear. It will be 48-50 when I hit the trails. I don't want to overdress but I do get cold easily. I am thinking about my MidZero tights (lightest weight tights I own), knee high socks, smartwool base layer and my convertible light-weight jacket. I can always remove the sleeves from that if I need to do so.

Does that sound like too much? Dressing for outdoor temps is very individual as some of us tolerate colder temps better than others. I will be walking/running, and as I've not done any trail running since the end of Oct/first of November I wont be pushing it hard so I suspect a little warmer isn't a bad idea.

BTW, I bought new Brooks Ghosts version 6 yesterday for gym work so I can devote my trail shoes (Brooks Cascadias) to, well, trails. Hopefully having the two pair will make both of them last longer.

I FINALLY GET TO RUN!!!!!

Did a 1 mile 1/2 walk, 1/2 run under the watchful eye of my PT on Thursday. I get to go out today on my own! Have new running shoes I love (Pearl Izumi EM Road N2 - a compromise as I really prefer minimalist, but my PT has limited that). I also have new walking shoes (Mizuno Ferus) - more minimal, so I'm happy, but enough support to keep my PT happy!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Catrin, I'd be in shorts with a lightweight long sleeved shirt, and wool socks and mittens. You're right, it's very individual! We're headed to 50 too, and I'm thinking of a bike ride, if I can decide what to wear...

Yayyyy Blueberry - that is awesome! Congrats on the new shoes as well I LOVE my Brooks, they are the best things that have EVER been on my feet. Apparently I've a "very" neutral stride and my high arches really appreciate the support. I've tried running in more minimal shoes but those hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    Catrin, I'd be in shorts with a lightweight long sleeved shirt, and wool socks and mittens. You're right, it's very individual! We're headed to 50 too, and I'm thinking of a bike ride, if I can decide what to wear...
    I didn't think about mittens, thanks! Since I might be walking more than running (we will see), I will go with the tights. Even on the bike I wear tights in temps <60 and sometimes up to 62 depending on how overcast/windy it might be. I am really looking forward to it! Drinking my second cup of coffee for the day, allow the temps to warm another 30 minutes, then headed out. Recording "McHales Navy" on my DVR and will finish watching it when I get home.