Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Beginning to Run Thread

To disable ads, please log-in.

Am I the only one here just starting to get into running? I suspect that I am not...so a "beginning to run" thread seemed a good idea. I am experimenting with trail running and my goal is to condition my body so I can run reasonable distances on the trail without injuring myself. While it isn't designed for trail running in particular, I am adopting the Couch - 5K approach. While I CAN run 400 meters without stopping, perhaps 500 if I really pushed it (on the track), I can only do that a couple of times before I am DONE.

Today I laced up my trail shoes a couple of hours after Yoga class, and walked 15 minutes to my local trail. I tried to stick to running 2 minutes and walking 3, but of course the terrain has something to do with those splits. I've a really tight heel cord (currently working on that - just need to work on those sliding surfaces), and I will only run uphill if there aren't many obstacles and if my knee isn't hurting. I play it by ear, and try to focus on keeping my head up while scanning the trail in front of me. I am also trying to keep from swinging my shoulders back and forth as I've read that isn't a good thing to do, and to keep my feet beneath me, to not "stretch out". I don't care about distance or speed right now, just trying to build up my tolerance for running.

Cardiovascular-speaking I seem to be fine even if I've not been riding this year as I would like. My body parts start hurting before my breathing becomes a problem - and I credit THAT to the high intensity group training I've done for the last year - a year ago I couldn't even run 100 meters.

I've noticed that my various body parts don't start hurting until about 20-25 minutes into my run/walk split. So my current goal is to stick as much as I can to that 2 minute run/3 minute walk until I can do that for at least 30 minutes without anything hurting. When I can do that I will consider changing the split and/or increasing the time. There are a couple of trail events in my area with shorter distances that sound like they might be fun, and I may consider them next year, but I've a long way to go before I consider it a possibility.

Advice is always appreciated, and if there are any other beginning runners - trail or pavement - add your voice to this thread

I'm very happy to see this thead! I'm on week 4 of the nhs version of c25k (UK healthcare). I'm running sometime on road, sometime off road. Absolutely loving it, though trying to take it easy as I have thyroid issues. I'm not having breathing or aching issues, but I do keep an eye on my heart rate as asthma inhaler plus thyroid tend to raise my heart rate fairly fast. I would love to get to the point of running 3-5k a couple of times a week. I have noticed that it's giving me nice strong leg muscles for cycling, which is a bonus.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

I used to run quite a lot during my time in the Army (no surprise) but when I got out I vowed not to run again. For some reason, after 15 years, I decided that I missed it so I am starting over again. I view myself as a beginner. I used the C25K and then went to the 13.1 trainer -- we'll see what happens.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

The only real problem I seem to have is with my left heel cord, where the tendon goes over the calcaneus. I suspect it is an issue of seriously tacked down soft tissue that doesn't allow the tendon to slide properly and I am working on that. Some days I notice this less than others - has anyone had a problem with this and found a way to deal with it?

I've a late morning to the office tomorrow, so will likely go for a bit of a trail run/walk before. I've become a wimp and won't ride unless it is at least 65 and it is supposed to be colder than that in the morning. In AUGUST!!!

I gave my heels and calves some tough love last night with a foam roller - and could certainly tell the difference afterwards. No running until I can go a couple of days with no heel-cord tightness. All I need is to put an already tight tendon under too heavy a load trying to trail run... The solution seems pretty obvious given the aftermath of my treatment last night! Tight calves (and shins) are also part of this, of course. Hamstrings and quads are fine and indeed my hammies are super-flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    has anyone had a problem with this and found a way to deal with it?
    Chronic issue for me too.

Sounds like you've got the calf part covered, don't forget to release the fascia in your feet too. Roll them out on a spiky ball or spiky stick, or walk on pebbles. Hurts so good.

Strengthening is the other half of prevention. Nothing helps my Achilles like one-legged calf raises. Do them barefoot since the point is to use all the muscles of your feet and calves in good alignment. Use a light touch for balance - fingertips on a wall or a chair back. Progress to doing them no hands. Static stretching afterwards, again making sure to target as many of the muscles as you can. Here are some more foot exercises (don't forget to follow the link for the Phase 1 exercises too).

With your history of foot surgery, you might just be stuck with foot and ankle alignment issues. Something to ask your chiropractor about, I'd think.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oakleaf - thanks for your comments. I keep meaning to ask my chiro about that, but currently my shoulder has top billing and I forget I will check out the exercises on the link you provided.

The MobilityWOD website'Supple Leopard book has some good information on heel/calf work, and I also have Brian McKenzie's book on Crossfit Endurance (he focuses on Running/Cycling/Swimming mixed with Crossfit workouts. I think he has some foot work in that book as well. He also has some excellent videos online that address beginning running and trail running.

I know some appear to insist that trail running is more advanced than pavement running and it isn't the best way to start - but I just can't tolerate running on the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I know some appear to insist that trail running is more advanced than pavement running and it isn't the best way to start - but I just can't tolerate running on the pavement.
    Well, from the POV of someone who doesn't run trails at all but has an opinion on everything whether I know anything about it or not - I think it's an excellent place to start.

I think trail running IS more "advanced" than pavement, in the sense that it requires more balanced strength in all the stabilizer muscles that can get neglected running on pavement. So, if someone like me decided to up and run the same distance (or even the same duration) on trails that I do on pavement, I'd be almost sure to get an injury.

But if you start on trails, and start slow and easy as you're doing, you never develop those bad habits and muscle imbalances. You build all the muscles and reflexes together. I say go for it. But what do I know.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Re: Beginning to Run Thread

That was my conclusion as well Oak I am unsure that what I do can be called running anyway. I jog a bit, walk a bit, rinse and repeat.

I AM avoiding the treadmill outside of my group training sessions. While it is more comfortable running, I don't think it is doing me any favors for trail running. I will do intervals on the track when I get a wild hair to run solo inside.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-02-2013 at 08:29 AM.

I wanted to ride today but my neck was being overly cranky...and our coach asked us to put a long and slow effort this weekend within a target heart rate zone for some time period between 30-90 minutes. I knew that wasn't going to happen on the bike, so I tied on my trail running shoes. My goal was to put in at least an hour of some combination of trail running/hiking with a particular average heart rate. I went to a different trail than I've run before and decided to focus on how my knee/heel felt rather than any formal timed split between hiking/running.

I had a great time! I hit my goal of 60 minutes, and also hit my desired heart rate average (120). I wish I had thought to take my camera, I ran by some gorgeous lake over-looks at the top of the ridge. At the end of the ride my calf was a bit tighter than when I started, but knee and heel was no worse than at the start. I focused on heart rate more than how fast I was running - really it was a slow jog - I don't care about speed right now. I will take it!

Hoping to take an easy ride after my Funday Sunday group workout tomorrow - if I've anything left afterwards!

That sounds lovely, Catrin. I watch heart rate too but don't bother with speed. Trail running was my first exercise love, I absolutely love it. I prefer trail shoes for off-road and normal running shoes for on pavement, apart from that I don't really differentiate between the two.

I'm on week 5 of couch to 5k this week, the week that will apparently see me doing a non-stop 20minute run at the weekend! Onwards and upwards

I have done my 20 minute run It was fine, but I'm taking an absolute rest day today, no cycling and nothing more energetic than baking bread and walking to the paper shop.

Sounds good Hebe I was actually able to ride yesterday - and decided that was enough for my knee for one day. I've noticed that when I am not riding regularly that my knee gets more cranky - so hopefully I can tolerate more riding. I think that will help my knee to be happier when I am trail running. Depending on how hard we hit it this morning at my workout I may do some trail running late afternoon or after dinner - at least get my 30 minutes in.

I've been occasionally posting in the other thread as I 'learn' to run again, but I am really starting at the beginning as well.

I'm signed up to do a 1/2 marathon in October and it's a little too soon but I'm just going to have to do the best I can between now and then. This is an auto re-sign up from dropping out last year, so if I don't do it, I lose my entrance fee. Considering how much $ I lost last year in lost entrance fees, I feel like I have to at least attempt this one!

I've been occasionally running 1 or 2 miles all summer but two weeks ago, had to get more regular in my attempts. The first week, I raced a 5K (stupid, but whatever) and ran my 4 mile 'long' run on the weekend. Last week, I did a mid-week 3 mile run and then 5 miles this past Saturday. I'm sooo much slower than I was before my injury but at least my foot is not bothering me.

This week, the goal is two mid week runs and my 6 mile run on Sunday. Considering that we'll be kayaking all week, we'll see if I can do this. I hope to find some trails to run on one of the islands where we will be camping on Thursday or so.

While trail running might be technically harder, I find it much easier on my body than road running. I can trail run for multiple days in a row, but throw in a road/pavement/cement run and I need a day off to let my joints, feet and muscles recover! Plus, trail running is usually more interesting so time seems to go by faster.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I agree GLC, trail running doesn't hurt as much and is more interesting If I could just persuade my heel to stop complaining...

Yesterday we played a sprinting game in my Funday workout - it was a relay race but to make it more interesting one group were "zombies" and while we were both running the same direction, the zombies goal was to catch someone from my group. I literally have NEVER run that fast in my life, and I think I must have been hitting the basketball court pretty hard for my heel was very p'ssed off for the rest of the day. Today my quads are even sore - sprinting ALWAYS makes me hurt for a day or two. Deadlifts, back squats, box jumps, whatever - other activities rarely make me sore but sprinting is very consistent that way.