Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Beginning to Run Thread

To disable ads, please log-in.

Have fun at lunch Crainkin, hope that sore spot resolves easily. I never tjoigjt about usinf body glide on my feet, but it isn't as if I am running long distances on the trail.

Had the hardest run of my life yesterday in my Funday conditioning group training. We did the following:

Run 1 mile in 30 seconds run/30 sec walk
    Partner - one partner runs 200 meters while the other does squats, ball slams and TRX rows - until another mile.

So 1.5 miles ran in total - and it was HARD! This was inside on the track - but I did it and really am not very sore today!

Re: Beginning to Run Thread

I am actually considering a night trail quarter marathon adventure race at the end of Jan I've got to be nuts to be considering this....but the trails are the ones I currently run. I do have cold air enduced asthma so the weather will play a role. We will see!

So I need to start hitting the trails more often and continue to build my tolerence for running on dirt!

Would wearing a woolen mask - or some such thing - help your asthma?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Would wearing a woolen mask - or some such thing - help your asthma?
    I do have a wool balaclava...I've not tried to run in anything like that but that is an idea. I also have a thermal cap that I've worn under my helmet. I suspect that some of my thermal gear will translate. My warmest tights are my PI AMFibs but I can't imagine wearing something that substantial while running, though I do also have MidZero tights that would be fine.

Unsure how well a mask might help - but that is something to experiment with!

The mask might help a lot, Catrin. Remember, though that you really don't need such heavy clothing when running. I've learned this the hard way.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The mask might help a lot, Catrin. Remember, though that you really don't need such heavy clothing when running. I've learned this the hard way.
    I will experiment carefully with this - for sure. I certainly don't need to get over-heated in the cold! Hopefully I can get away without having to really spend much of anything, between gym and riding I've already half a closet filled with fitness related clothing I will see if there is a better option as far as a mask is involved, and there is certainly time. I need to focus on building my running tolerance. I can only think that since the Planet Adventure race is in the same park that I ride and run in that it can only help me. Knowing that makes a night run less intimidating - and knowing Indiana we could have everything from 50 degree temps to snow/ice and zero degree temps. Regardless of what happens, preparing for this will be fun

I ran again this morning, despite stating yesterday I would never run again! Did the same route, except I went the other direction around the cul de sac at the turn around point. I felt better than Sunday, ran more of the route, including the big hill. I took 3 walk breaks, 30 sec., 20 sec., 10 seconds. I am slow, but I can run for longer time periods, so that's what I do. I think having DH with me Sunday was too much.
    Nothing hurt, except my heel, and I really don't know why it is hurting. It's a mild discomfort, not pain and it's fine when I stop. My back was a wreck when I woke up, but I did the stretches I am supposed to do 3x a day and it's better.
    I bought myself a new pair of running capris today, for motivation.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

For some reason riding just doesn't seem to be doing it for me right now...so am planning on trying some trail running this weekend. The thing is, morning temps will be high 30s-40s.

How do you dress for those temps? I am thinking my mid zero tights, wool socks, and a wool base layer under a technical light jacket. Does that sound like too much? I know I don't need as much as if I were riding...I will have my inhaler just in case.

I would wear a light wool base layer with a medium weight or light weight jersey. If it's in the 40s, no jacket, maybe a vest. Thirties, well, it depends on you... you can always tie a jacket around your waist. I prefer to use a base layer and varying thermal levels of half/ quarter zip running tops for cold weather, rather than a jacket. Thirties will have me in thin wool gloves and some kind of head cover. I might start with them in the 40s. but they will be off before long.
    You have to experiment. And I don't wear the same wool socks for running as i do riding. I have Tekkos for running, which I can wear riding (and I wear at the gym), but the Smart wool riding socks are too thick for me, for running.
    I am jealous. I tried running today, even though I knew I shouldn't. My lower back is a wreck from my weekend of doing too much. I rested yesterday and it was better, but even though I only ran up and down my street (2.3 miles), and walked up the hill, I am in some pain. Have taken Advil twice and came home for an hour to use the heating pad, which usually helps. I need to see the PT, but too lazy at this point, as I can only go there on Thursday mornings. I hope i am OK for my boot camp tomorrow.
    Last edited by Crankin; 10-16-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It's been just around 5-6 deg C on my last morning runs, which is low 40's. I've noted down the following: below 10 C/50 F, light/mid-weight wool jersey (Icebreaker 200 w/quarter zip recently) and full-length running tights. Below 5 C/40 F add (paper-thin) cycling wind jacket and thin wool hat. 0C/32 F add thin wool gloves (liners) and thin cycling vest. I carry a small hipbelt, though, since I semi-run-commute, so I always have somewehere to stash small items when I start to heat up.

I like wearing a jacket because it's very easy to pull off, usually I can pull it off and stash it while still running.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

That wouldn't be too much for me at all. I'd be wearing long sleeve wool under the jacket, too. The jacket has vents and/or doesn't flop too much with the zipper partly opened, yes?

I would also want some pretty significant gloves (but then, I have a touch of Raynaud's - I'd be wearing my Ibex Kilo II gloves) and a cap, hopefully a cap that's compact enough to get shoved into a pocket if it gets too warm.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks for the tips, I will have to experiment and see what happens. I won't be too far from my car so I can switch things around if necessary.

Well, I went to boot camp this morning. My back is stiff and I modified some stuff, but I'm in less pain than yesterday. We didn't really do a lot of running, more jumping and weights. So... tomorrow is going to be raining in the AM, when I am free, so I am going to try another run, as I won't be able to ride. I think I will drive to run in the center of town, where it's flat. I can look at the nice Victorian homes and generally motivate myself more without the hills.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sounds good Crankin, hope it goes well!

I checked out the running clothing at TE and was very interested to note that PI Amfib tights are also being sold to runners, I had wondered how well they might work for cold weather running! I had wondered if they might be a bit too confining. Then I remembered that my Amfibs were always more comfy than my Midzero tights on the bike.

Trying my best to not spend money on colder weather running gear, I've a broad range of jerseys that I figure I can wear over my smartwool base layer. I DO need some thin wool socks for running in but I think that is all I really need...at least for now.