Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Doing great Catrin!

One tip on the video ... I don't have the expertise to comment either, but it was hard to see much from the angles in the clip you posted. The way they do it in the ChiRunning workshops is in a circle with the videographer in the center. Start with your back to them and run the radius so they record you straight on from the rear, which will show your hip stability - turn and run the circle while they pivot in place and record you from the side, which will show your posture, foot strike and hip rotation - then turn and run towards them while they record you from the front, which will show your arm swing and shoulder stability.
    This is good to know, the trainer helping me wasn't sure what he was doing either - which made two of us

Re: Beginning to Run Thread

Planning a trail run tomorrow morning while my left heel/ankle will likely never feel like my right the mobility work I've been doing has had a significant impact. I will go to a mtb trail in a new park and see how things go! Hopefully I will have a good followup report

Hope you had fun, Catrin! I may give running a go again this fall, especially when it gets too chilly for me to feel like riding. I am not a big fan of riding in cold weather, nor am I a fan of running in hot weather. But running in cold weather (as long as not too cold), I can handle. We shall see -- it's been almost a year since I've run at all. My last run was October of 2012. I just lost my running mojo in Belize and couldn't get it back.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

With all of the traveling I've been doing for my mom I've not run outside of group training since the first week of September. I wanted to ride today, but my hip flexors are still TIGHT from the 1,700 miles of driving in an 8 day period, though they are loosening I didn't think it wise to choose an exercise today that won't help that...so when it was time to take an exercise break from my apartment packing activities I chose to lace up my trail running shoes.

I cut back on the time and in the end only ran 20 minutes - but the vast majority of that time was actually running rather than walking A slow pace, and when my body started complaining I stopped. I had hoped to keep my heart rate in the middle zone for the run but I wasn't apparently running fast enough, or the terrain wasn't challenging enough to get it there. I consider this a GOOD sign that my body is starting to tolerate this better. Tomorrow I will hit the gym and do some strength-cardio-metabolic work - and I will ride sometime in the next couple of days. Lovely afternoon for a run, even if it wasn't a very long one. I DO think that is the longest I've ever run however, at any speed!

That's great, Catrin! My heart rate is always very high when running even on the easiest terrain, so running always feels a lot harder than cycling. I think you have good potential if you were able to run 20 minutes without your HR getting too high. Shows you can probably run a lot more as your body becomes more tolerant of it. When you first start to run, it takes time to get the tendons/ligaments etc. used to the motion, so it's best to increase time/mileage slowly anyway.
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    That's great, Catrin! My heart rate is always very high when running even on the easiest terrain, so running always feels a lot harder than cycling. I think you have good potential if you were able to run 20 minutes without your HR getting too high. Shows you can probably run a lot more as your body becomes more tolerant of it. When you first start to run, it takes time to get the tendons/ligaments etc. used to the motion, so it's best to increase time/mileage slowly anyway.
    Agreed! I know I've a "wonky" knee, so that is even more of a reason to take this slowly. I've noticed, however, when my coach has had us suddenly do major sprinting that it was never my knee that troubled me but other things. Riding has always been good for that knee but perhaps smart trail running will be good for it as well!

My HR barely got over 120 which really isn't in what I consider my training zone (125-145), so that was good. Time will tell! I am now more thankful that my Sugoui MidZero and AmFib tights don't have chamois Well, the latter is more for just hiking and riding, with my asthma I don't see lots of outside running in cold temps.

We did ascending run laps with little weights in the parking lot at the gym this morning. Did 3-8 laps for each set.
    I felt good, but I do better when I can see the end!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    We did ascending run laps with little weights in the parking lot at the gym this morning. Did 3-8 laps for each set.
    I felt good, but I do better when I can see the end!
    Ascending in number of laps, weight or both?

Ascending in laps. We started at 3 and went up to 8.
    When I got my ACE certification (back in the olden days; I was in the first group to do this) we were taught never to do any impact aerobic moves with weights. I use 3 lb. ones, while everyone else uses 5 and 8s. I really don't see the point, but I do it. I did notice that all, including the very fast tri-athlete, were running slower than usual.
    However, I do enjoy the evil one's class a lot more when she does stuff like this, and more cardio, in general. She always praises me during these segments, but it's almost like she's saying, "Oh look, the old person can actually do something better than the others."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

The weight part is interesting, my coach won't allow us to run with them. I doubt my neck and shoulder would appreciate that.

I ran 3 miles today. By default. Got to the gym and there was a note on the door that the class was cancelled. Now, at 5:30 AM, when it's 60 degrees out in October, I want to be outside. I drove home (only 4 miles) and went out. I had on my hi viz vest and my blinkie, but quickly realized I should have worn my headlamp. My street has streetlights, but not closely spaced. However, once I got down the hill, I went into a flat (!) neighborhood of cluster homes, off of my neighborhood, where every house has 2 of these big lights in front. Plus, the sky was lightening and by the time II started the return, it was getting light. I felt really good and ran the whole way, with 3 maybe 10second walks. I even ran up the hill. I was probably doing an 11 minute mile, but I was running.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Good job, Crankin!

We've been riding so much lately (and hiking, on our recent trip to the Dakotas) that I haven't even thought about starting to run again, but I might once it becomes too chilly to get motivated to ride. That hasn't happened yet.
    Emily

I generally run in the fall (Nov.-Dec.) before it snows and late winter/early spring. But, I find it too hard to run, even 2 days a week, and do the amount of riding I like to do. And that doesn't even count going to boot camp. We'll see. I already have hardly any miles on the bike this year, so I suspect I will be doing some running over the next couple of months.
    I'm a little sore this morning, but not the worst. I may be riding with Hirakukibou later, but on the other hand we may just go to lunch! I may lobby for the latter.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Good job Crankin! I am looking forward to being able to run that far without having to walk Then again, it doesn't really matter if I DO have to walk - I need to keep telling myself that. You know me, I expect perfection out of myself even at the beginning even if it is impossible

Tomorrow I will either ride or trail run, we will see. I've a group challenge from our strength and conditioning coach to take care of today that has to do with the rope machine...

We voted on the lunch. I am weighing whether I will ride to do errands or just get in the car... I have a sore spot, not quite a blister on my bunion area from yesterday. I guess it's because I didn't lube up my feet with body glide, but since I had my Tekko socks on, I didn't think it would be that much of a difference. I do feel like I need to spin out my legs, but unless I leave right now, I'll be rushing to get back, shower and meet Hira.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura