Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Challenging myself for a new commuter

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm posting this so that I have a public goal to hold myself to.

Earlier this week, I saw that this is forthcoming:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Straggler.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	16531

WANT! Looks more or like a disk cross check, but it is also sparkly purple (!!!!).

I have a cross check and it is a wonderful commuting beast, but a) the brakes are a little gutless in the rain/snow/crappy weather and b) it's a bit big (while I should take some blame-- it felt fine on test rides-- I also think the previous shop probably should've encouraged me to tweak a 54 rather than buy a 56, but after they forgot to hook the brakes up on a subsequent visit, they're not on my shop list anymore and I'm not surprised they didn't bother to talk me into the right size). Neither of these issues have stopped me from riding it, and honestly, I don't NEED a new bike, but......

Anyway, my self-challenge is this:

I have 5 train tickets in my wallet (2.5 round trips). If I can make it to September 15th without buying more, I'm buying a new frame/fork/wheelset/brakes and moving all the other components over from the cross check.

Re: Challenging myself for a new commuter

Pretty!!!!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Sweet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What is that? And where can I get one?

Edit: just found it on the Surly FB page. The new cross check is purple with disc brakes!?!?

OH. MY. I do NOT need another road bike. Nope nope nope. Absolutely not.

WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And look at that Pacer. Red Sparkly?
    It's officially called the Straggler (which I like), and there's a little more here, including a picture of the dropouts that I HOPE represents the actual paint better than the whole bike picture....... it's gorgeous!

I saw the sparkly Pacer as well, looks like Surly is going for a little flash next year (my cross check is the aptly named beef gravy brown, with decals removed, so it will be quite the change if I go sparkly purple for the commuter .

Good thing I've been contemplating how to get disks on the commuter for awhile so this potential purchase seems completely rational

Edit: I will also get rid of the cross check frame, so the fiance will be pleased that he will still only be sharing the apartment with three bikes..... four might've been pushing it. At least until we're actually married
    Last edited by carlotta; 07-26-2013 at 11:30 AM.

So far, so good.... I still have two train tickets left and am down to 9 commuting days left in my challenge.

Not to jinx anything, but I just ordered a set of single-speed hydraulic disc brakes (Labor day sale I couldn't resist....plus they're an odd product that's been out of stock).

Going to the shop on Tuesday to plan.... and there might be some ordering involved.

Sparkly purple is in your future!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Sparkly purple makes you faster. Yep. My bike is the perfect example

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Sparkly purple makes you faster. Yep. My bike is the perfect example
    This is good to know

Today is the day I officially earned the new bike (good thing, since I ordered it last week...), today is the last work/commute day before 9/15 and I still have two leftover train tickets.... I usually ride a lot in the summer, but taking the train three times in seven weeks is probably a personal record (one round trip on a day I had a dinner to go to, and one trip home with the bike when I got stuck at work late).

That is awesome, way to stick to your goals!!!

How are you liking the Straggler? I'm curious about it myself and would love to read a review!
    Trek 7.2 FX w/ B68 - commuter

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyLady View Post
    How are you liking the Straggler? I'm curious about it myself and would love to read a review!
    Ooops, just saw this.... sorry!

I am LOVING this bike!! I haven't had a chance to ride it a ton thanks to work travel and a recent stint in the shop to get the brake hose adjusted (which took a while due to the wrong bleed kit being shipped the first time). Somehow it rides much smoother than my old cross check (same tires/drivetrain, presumably the same steel, similar geometry... wondering if better wheels/hubs make THAT much of a difference) and it feels really solid both on and off road-- I rode it up some fire road-equivalent on the way home tonight and it just handles everything (rocky parts, mud, ice) really nicely. I can't wait for it to dry up a little more (not happening soon) so I can take it on some of the single track around here-- the brakes are amazing and I have so much control that the bits where I was nervous on the cross check are going to be no big deal (I opted for a single speed fully hydraulic setup and kept the bar ends off the cross check because a) cheaper and b) full hydros seemed like they might be fun ).

Any other questions, just ask..... life should be less hectic for awhile so I should be around more...

Happened to take a picture on the ride home tonight... last commute of 2013!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	straggler2.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	16862