Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Ignorant People!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, I know this isn't cycling related, but it is training related, and I think some of you will appreciate this.
    So I'm out on my long run this morning cruising through the neighborhoods near my house. I come upon and older women walking her two Collies. I say hello to her and even greeted the dogs with a "hello pretty puppies". She smiles and says "Is it working?"... Umm, what is she talking about? So I say "excuse me?" and she replies "Is it working. Is running helping you lose weight?". Excuse my french here ladies but I was like WTF??!! So I replied with a rather snotty "I'm training for an IRONMAN". She replied "oh" and turned and walked down another pathway. Now I KNOW my reality, and reality is I am carrying around an extra 25-30 lbs, but who is she to make a comment like that? I've never seen this woman in my life! She may have well asked me if I was pregnant! I passed her again and I just glared at her. But it sure got my adrenaline going! I looked down at my gps and I was running a 9:50 min mile- OOPS! This is a LSD run kid, not speed work!
    Anyway, I just had to share. People can be soo freaking RUDE sometimes! Oh- and BTW while she wasn't fat per se, but she had a few extra lb's in her trunk as well. I should have told her "yeah, maybe you should take up running to get rid of your extra baggage".. HA HA HA!

People are clueless sometimes.

Would you run a few miles for me please? Runners just get my respect. Yeah I could swim the Ironman and I could bike the Ironman, but there is no way in h@ll I can run two miles let alone 26! And runners have great legs!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Sure I'll run a few for ya! I actually love running. Though my shoes died their final death today and I had to cut my long run short. planned 18, ran 11.2. When my knees start talking back to me I KNOW it's time to shut er down. Luckily my new shoes should be here today or tomorrow so next week will def. get 18 in. I just didn't want to push it in worn out shoes. I've had knee problems before, so when they bark- I listen.
    Oh and here are some pic's of me and the family for reference. I need to get some new ones on there. When I bring home my new baby tomorrow I'll have my son take some pictures of us.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a157/tony66denise69/?sc=1

oh... you are SO much nicer than I woulda been people ARE ignorant... she probably didn't mean anything by it but wtf? my favorite response when someone makes a comment like that is to stop, look at them and say "Now WHY would you say something hurtful like that?" and then wait for the answer!

you have a great looking family... and just where are those extra pounds you mentionerd??? you look fantastic!

oh... and don't run any miles for me... everything on me hurts just thinking about it!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

ROFLMAO - I would've said "I don't know...did it work for you??"
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Not to throw water on your fire, but could she have been asking because you look more fit than she is? Sorry, I read her comment as complimentary, not insulting. Kinda like, "I wish I was motivated enough to do that - does it really work?"

I'll let you know when I finish EIGHTEEN MILES!!!

Sheesh. Guess some people talk without thinking. I can't imagine I could ever run 18 miles! You go girl!!! Doesn't matter what folks say--your reality is you can run a marathon and do a tri.

By the way, your photos made me SO HOMESICK. I grew up in Phoenix, and still miss the desert. I am hoping to get out there for spring break, but unfortunately it's not the same time as your Tri or I'd come cheer you on!!!

Good luck, and soak up some sun, blue sky, and desert scenery for me. By the way, also smell that great smell when it rains. To this day people look at me funny when I try to explain the wonderful smell you get in the desert when it rains!!! Wish they could bottle that!!!

RM, first of all, I'd like to say that you have my utmost respect. I've been running for years, and, even though I love it, I KNOW that I could never run a marathon, much less to an Ironman. All I can say is "What a Woman!" I deal with people like that woman all the time. My office mates do not understand what is "fun" about running 6 miles at 5:30 a.m., when it's "cold" (maybe 30) and dark. Now that I'm also riding a bike, they REALLY think I'm a nut. My husband says they're secretly jealous because they can't (or won't) do it. Don't let ignorant people get to you, and when they do, just pop in here and we'll be happy to remind you how awesome you are!

KB

The comment was indeed rude. However, not to defend the lady but I think many people have a very limiting notion of "health" (and "fun" or "challenge"), think only weight loss and can't imagine exercising for any other reason. That's sad, but it's how it is... Hence the rude comment. (Did I say it was rude???!!!)

I have to agree that it was rude. Fortunately my rudeness is kept in check by my inability to come up with a quick response to comments like that -- I come up with them about a block or two later.

I think there is a large portion of the gen pop that only views running as a means of weight loss- not as a competitive, or fun, or leisure activity. It was most likely a compliment meant as a way to start a conversation.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Yeah, I see it like if you're holding up a pill bottle in the drug store, and someone walks up and asks if it works. Or, if you're buying a cleaning product and someone asks if it works for you. They're not implying that you're filthy, they just see you doing something they don't anything about, and they're curious, or just trying to say 'something' nice. If she was smiling, I really can't imagine that she intentionally said something rude!

I'd like to think it wasn't meant to be rude - but some people are so clueless and just stupid!!! I like to think an obvious dog person would have more tact and consideration, though! It doesn't sound like she did, though.

Good for you for having the persistence to do Tri's. That's a level of multi tasking that just baffles me and I am so impressed by friends who do them. It does sound like you like the running, and I am sure that helps. (It never really caught on for me. Did 3 marathons and hated every mile!)

I hear ya!!!!!

People ask me ALL the time if I'm pregnant! Strangers, people at work, neighbors. I AM SO SICK OF IT. In fact, it's offensive. I was always really skinny, then I had cancer and gained a ton of weight. Lost some of it, went on steroids, gained it back. For a girl who could always eat whatever she wanted, the extra 50 pounds was quite a shock. And it's not made any easier by people making comments about my weight, no matter what their intentions are. I don't care if they didn't mean anything by it, it's almost worse that they would hurt me so deeply and "not mean anything by it." It's so cruel. One woman at work ran up to me and patted by belly, saying "do we have something in here?" in front of everyone. I was mortified. All I could croak out was "Yeah, it's called fat" and walked away.

Now when it happens, I call them on it. It's happened so often, I have a pat answer for them, "What makes you think it's appropriate to ask such a question? Do you realize how that hurts my feelings? Do I come up to you and ask you about your thinning hair/fat ***/obnoxious laugh? No, I don't. And for future reference, I would appreciate it if you would keep your hurtful assessments of my appearance to yourself."

That usually shuts them up. But not always.

As a person that sometimes says something that seems clueless I would like to add I don't think people generally are trying to be rude. I realize any of us, at any time, can say something stupid. I never intend to hurt someone's feelings and thinking about that when someone says something stupid to me, I usually just smile and say nothing. If my feeling are hurt it's because I'm too sensitive. So if someone asks if I am pregnant (and that has happened)... I guess I need to lose weight. I would just laugh, tell the person, no I just need to stop eating twinkies and move on. Now if I think someone is intending to be rude, I would ask why they said that. It makes that person stop and think why they said that. Usually I get an apology. I accept it and move on. No sense dwelling over it. Life is way to short.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl