Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

If asked if I am pregnant I just say with a straight face: "No. I am not Pregnant... I am just fat". I just love that embarracement look in their faces.

I have no problem with it, it does not bother me. I suffered enough already because of my weight and I just don't care anymore. I just try to work out for my health.
    "I might not be riding fast but I'm still quicker than if I were on the couch" -Anonymous

How about "No, I'm just fat. There's a cure for it. [Insert pregnant silence and "the look" here.]"
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Unfortunately, you had already spoken to her. Otherwise you could pretend not to understand. Strategies I've used in the past: Point at my ears and shake my head. Say, "Talla inte engleska" ("I don't speak English", in Swedish). I know it's completely silly, but it distracts them, and then you run away!

I understand the pissed off feeling, and I suspect she was just trying to be friendly, unaware of how MISERABLY she failed! The darned thing is, she probably doesn't even know what an Ironman is. If you see her again, you could tell her what you're going to do in April, and watch her gasp for breath. That would be amusing!

You go on with your long distance running self! I ran 4.5 miles yesterday with a friend, and boy am I sore today! Can't believe I was running those long training runs last summer.

I am excited for you to bring your baby home tomorrow, and looking forward to seeing the pix! Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

yeah maybe I am a bit on the sensitive side. I guess that comes from always being the chubby girl. My doctor and I are going to work on finding out why after Ironman. I just don't want to deal with it right now. I eat really well, keep a food log on fitday.com and everything. I do have a raging sweet tooth, but I try to keep that in check. I'm a freak I suppose. I started some testing last fall and they determined that I have 116 lbs of muscle and 7 lbs of bone. Now on a 5'1" frame that's ALOT! Like I said in previous posts my doctor says I have the frame of a 6'2" man!! So no matter what I'm always going to look "chunky". But it sure doesn't help when people make rude comments like that. And you can sugar coat it anyway you want but the bottom line was I've never met this lady in my life. And it may have just been HER ignorance to why someone would be out running, but she should have kept her trap shut!
    Anyway, like I said I'm probably overly sensitive, but I'm trying to work on it. I've really tried to embrace my stumpiness and realize that it's just the way my body is. It's just hard. When I see all these super fit looking tri chicks out there who look AWESOME in their little zoot tri kits and I know that I work just as hard as they do, and I could never wear a one piece tri suit. Well I COULD, but it would not be pretty!
    And I won't even get into trying to find a wetsuit I can get my log legs in! OY!! Read the slow fat triathlete and you'll know what I deal with! lol

I'm impressed by anyone who runs at all. I've always said that the only time you'll find me running is when I'm being chased!

I'm noticing more and more that some "older" people tend to say whatever is on their mind and the older they get, the worse it gets. It's like any thought that pops in their head just flys out the mouth...there's no edit function! Not sure why that is, but it's definitely not good for those on the receiving end of their comments.

Geez, I'd be angry at my doctor for saying that. If you _had_ the frame of a 6'2" man, you _wouldn't_ be 5'1". Whatever. Maybe he just meant you had strong bones, not little bird bones.

I was thinking that, too, the poor lady is probably wondering what Ironman is...

I asked a co-worker once if she was pregnant. She was barely big- she just had that look. She replied "no," but then announced not two weeks later that she was, and hadn't known at the time I asked!

When my daughter was a baby, I used to carry her in this snuggly, _inside_ my sweatshirt. People would always ask when my baby was due, and I'd say "She's already here!" and lift up my sweatshirt.

The first organized bike ride I did, 37 miles of the Horrible Hundred, a year ago last October, we rode past like a frat row or something near the end. Some guys were out on the balcony, and one started yelling "Look at the fatty on the bike!" I'm like, "Hey, at least I'm _on_ the bike..."

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Wink

RunningMommy,

I hope that she went home and slapped herself for having such a stupid thing come out of her mouth! ... sometimes our brains don't work so well spur of the moment, then we cringe later ... anyway, she can only dream of doing what you do every day and is probably very envious! (just like I am!)

BTW, your pics are wonderful and you look SO great after you've trained! I turn reddish purple and stay that way for a long time - you just look cute!

Keep it up, you're awesome! AND, don't forget, we are all waiting for those bike pics!!!

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Grog
    The comment was indeed rude. However, not to defend the lady but I think many people have a very limiting notion of "health" (and "fun" or "challenge"), think only weight loss and can't imagine exercising for any other reason. That's sad, but it's how it is... Hence the rude comment. (Did I say it was rude???!!!)
    I agree with Grog, a lot of people just cant imagine you would be out doing anything physical for fun or the challenge. They think all is exercise is inspired by a need to lose weight. Hey lets not tell them it can be fun though or we may have to fight our way through the crouds for a decent ride.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Yeah, I'd be one of those ignorant people mulling over in the back of mind, "If it works for her, it might work for me. If she says 'yes,' I might have to give it a go." Yep, I've been that ignorant before with other things. I love learning from other people. It makes my life so much easier. Call me lazy, too.

I can help with the wetsuit issue

being a diver, I have several places that I can give you that make custom suits. Sounds expensive, but really isn't that much more than off the rack, and it will fit!

email me if you'd like the info!

My weight is perfect for my height, which varies.
    "If I weren't the maid, I'd fire me."

Loved the pictures! So impressed that you've done multiple tris.

--SJ

People ask me ALL the time if I'm pregnant! Strangers, people at work, neighbors. I AM SO SICK OF IT.
    I learned in the Second grade to NEVER ask a woman if she is pregnant.

I was in class, and I think I yelled out, "Mrs. Anabel are you pregnant!". She replied, "No", and promptly dragged me into the hall and told me that you NEVER ask a woman if she is pregnant. Never forgot that lesson.

At my last job... there was a lady in my group who started to look larger... and even wore a shirt saying something like "Special Package"... but there was no way in hell I asking. I think when she hit around 5 months she finally told me. But I wasn't asking.

I am so sorry to hear about how the meds made you gain so much weight. How frustrating that must be. I don't even know what I would do if my weight and controling it was completely out of my hands. At least you have your life and your health... that is what matters in the end.

Runningmommy... OK so you are sensitive about your size... geez who isn't. Even little skinny girls (I hate them! ) complaint abut their weight. I wish I could even think about training for Ironman. Do you realize how "studdly" that is? Be proud of your acheivement and accomplishments. Next time someone makes what you feel is a rude comment, smile and tell them what you are training for and leave it at that. Trust me - they will be jealous of your ability. I am!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Actually, it was someone trying to sell me baby stuff that got me started on my latest round of trying to lose weight. Bleh.

BTW - I'm DONE having babies! They turn into teenagers!

The thing is, I'm losing weight nicely in my ankles, wrists, calves, butt, upper body (somewhat), but not in my belly. This, of course, in addition to the fact that it's not drooping so much now, makes the belly look bigger. I can't win...
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX