Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Underwhelmed with new Amira

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sigh. So I was trying to wait to see what the new '14 models looked like, specifically if the new Amira's had the internal cable routing since all of the Ruby's and Dolce's did but after crunching some numbers I realized I needed to get one ordered sooner than later to avoid needing to sell my old bike first. So I went with the shop closest to me (rather than the one I was able to test ride at) because she's a small women owned shop (and happens to be Catholic to) and it's been nothing but a headache. First she was tragically busy when I went to order it and knew i was coming in. It was $30 more expensive than the shop I test rode at (I know, not a big deal for a good long term relationship), she over charged my debit card by accident and even though they fixed it, it caused a headache with my bank and delayed the bike getting in. Then during the fitting I felt a little rushed and when she needed to swap out the stem, she gave me a credit towards the new one but it still cost me another $25. (Something the other shop said they wouldn't do). Then I got it home and while I was peeling off the "warning, you could die if you don't read the manual" stickers, I found a scratch on the chain stay. It's not big, and I can't tell if it's just through the clear coat or it's actually affecting the frame, but when I spend $2500 on something, I don't like paying more for swapping a stem you'll resell and finding it damaged before I even get to ride it.

Then I got looking at it today compared to my old bike and yeah the wheel base is a little shorter and the stand over is lower, but I'm not seeing any real size difference in the two. I think I'm just getting cranky about the whole experience and now I'm looking to dislike it. Am I being totally *****y about the stem and picky about the scratch? Can I expect her to send it back and get a new one? If she does swap it out, am I going to have to pay for the new one to be fit?

The Elite. I went with a 48, the other shop guy said I fell between sizes and so I test rode both. I didn't bother more than a half a block with the larger, just didn't feel right. I think I'm just being cranky, I going on a week without sleeping much again (chronic insomnia) and I think I'm just being bratty. I brought them both into the living room and got out my trainer and can find the small differences that make a difference to me. I think it's just a culmination of little aggravations and lack of sleep. I do want to do something about the scratch though and I don't think that's unreasonable. I do custom work for people and no one would ever accept damaged work from me no matter how small it was. It's sad though cause I want to ride it right now!

I know this a tough pill to swallow, but $2500 is not really much to shell out in the bicycle game. Yes, you will probably have to pay for any changes. You bought stock. When you have to change stock parts, you have to pay for new parts. But those stock parts are yours to do with however you please, so don't let them keep them! You can sell them and get some money back (or ask for a credit toward the new parts).

Remember that every bike has a purpose and its geometry reflects that. One may be racier, one may be more relaxed. Sheila has great information on sizing and geometry, so, online, you're getting good advice from her. As for the scratch... no harm in asking about it. Wishing you the best of luck! Fit is paramount for loving your bike. What has the fitter said?
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Umm also bikes don't get major redesigns every year you know? The design team normally works on a 2-3 year cycle. This means costs can be reduced as they don't have to change moulds and tooling every year for each model. They normally just tweak components or as in this case cable routing.

Also the shop cannot help if something is damaged in transit or from the manufacturer. The manufacturer/supplier doesn't inspect every bike you know! But yes, you should ask about replacing the scratched item.

I suspect in the future that bikes will not come with saddles or handlebars so that people self-select these things. It's like that road bikes usually don't come with pedals- it's a personal choice.

Re: Underwhelmed with new Amira

I have to admit this reads like a first world problem. I suppose it all started when your card was overcharged and it gave a sour taste to what is meant to be one of the best things ever

Now, you seem to be comparing bike geometry by real life measurements. That means nothing irl. The geometry differences seem minuscule on paper, but good geometry goes a long way. And you will only know if it's a good geometry for you once you get some longer rides in.

As for the stem, if you didn't like the deal, you could have bought another and kept the original to sell online or something. But a $25 extra for a different stem doesn't seem bad to me, especially if it's not the same model.

I have to agree this sounds mostly like a Caren problem.
    You are making the common mistake thinking because you know how to ride a bike you know all about bikes and the way bike shops work. Kind of like me accessing this forum and assuming I know how the computer industry works.
    Yes, the overcharge was a mistake. However, it was corrected and the bike shop doesn't control how your bank handles it.
    I won't go into the various mistakes you are making in your assumptions about bike, fit and product. Suffice it to say you don't know what you are talking about.

Interesting you make the effort to point out your Catholicism yet are quite open with your impatience and making JUDGEMENT on an awful lot of things.

Posts like this make me sad.

I think the OP is just upset; however, the reference to the LBS owner being a certain religion did not sit well with me. I don't want to get into that, but suffice to say this is an example of when I used to tell my kids "you can think it, but don't say it." The fact that someone thinks that it is an acceptable comment kind of floors me.
    Sigh.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Re: Underwhelmed with new Amira

I agree. I bet any Catholic would get really offended if someone were to say something like 'i bought my stuff from her because she wasn't a Catholic'.

Well, I don't think that's quite the same as tossing in as an aside that a shop owner has views you sympathize with, implying that that makes shopping there just a tad more attractive to you.

I think we all prefer to leave our money at places we find friendly, really.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I *really* understand the buying experience. I vented a lot on here about my issues with both of my bikes. Although they were not the same as the OP and had nothing to do with money, it's more a feeling of not being heard.
    I just don't like the religious reference. I do try to give business to people I know and/or local businesses. And, I might know some of those people from my place of worship. But, I don't patronize their services because that's where I know them from. In fact, I have gone out of my way, not to choose a few medical providers who are also members, even if I don't know them.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I actually thought the OP was just stressed because she spent a significant amount of money so soon after major life changes, based on previous threads.
    I agree with Muirenn here. I get the same way when I buy expensive stuff: car, bike, gear, anything. I get excited, write the check, go home, and second guess myself. Caren, get on your bike and ride!

Well whatever. To each his (or her) own I guess. For me, $2500 is a lot of money. I ran my own business and worked my *** of for each and every single dollar and I manage money well. It's a big purchase to me and I don't expect things to arrive damaged. Not the shop owners fault but as I didn't transport the bike, not my fault either. Regardless, she called Specialized and they sent out a new one, no problem.

As to the religious aspect, my faith is extremely important to me and in a world where being PC rather than having a moral foundation seems to be the only acceptable option, I respect and value someone who will put their faith out there. Seeing the Crucifix in her place of business gave me a very warm feeling. As a business owner she is free to do that. As a business owner I was free to refuse to make any of my products with Obama wording because I am fundamentally against everything he stands for. That's my right as the owner of the business and I realized that I lost some business because I refused to do that. No biggie, that's my right to stand on my morals. I've chosen my doctor because he understands my religious stance against contraception, I've chosen my local Wendy's over McDonald's because they play the local Christian music station. I'm allowed to make my faith the center of my decision making and don't feel the need to apologize for that.

The irritation of stem charge, sure, that's a first world problem. But I was only aggravated because the other shop hadn't planned to charge me for it. No biggie. I'd say anyone spending more than $500 on anything that's recreational has the luxury of first world problems so be that as it may, I can be irritated if I want to.

More than anything I was feeling the let down. I put a lot of time and effort into making what was for me a big and expensive decision after huge life changes like a sucky expensive divorce and the sale of my business. I brought the bike home, found the chips and couldn't even take it out for a spin. I was just a little cranky, PMS'y and tired. Next time I'll take my old bike out and work it out myself rather than looking for a virtual hug. Whatever.

FWIW, I got the replacement in and after a quick 30 miles this morning, I'm totally in love with it. It's seriously a kick *** bike, I can't wait for the Bike MS ride this weekend. :-)