Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Getting used to "racing position" on a road bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for getting used to "racing position" on a road bike. You know, grasping the drop bars, super bent over. One of the rides I like to do has a loonnnngggg descent that is really fun but I felt too unstable/uncomfortable in that position. I am thinking maybe it's just new and I need to get used to it, or that maybe I need to raise the handlebars a smidge? Any advice?

You don't have to be in the drops to descend. Get used to the bike first. Then start out on smaller hills in that position and build up to longer hills.
    It is true, though, that you should make sure the fit of your bike is right for you. Did you have a bike fit when you purchased your new bike?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

+1 on checking your fit. Aerodynamic fun aside, the main reason to be tucked on a descent is because your center of gravity is lower, you have better control of your weight distribution between the wheels, and you should be *more* stable (and have a better grip on the brakes if you need them). Practicing on the flats to get used to the position and build core strength is a good idea, but feeling stable vs feeling natural/comfortable are two different things, and my thought is that if you don't feel stable, something is probably off with your fit.

Point of terminology that got addressed in another thread ... when you're tucked for a descent, you want your hands in the hooks, the curved part of the handlebars with the closest reach to the levers. If your hands are on the lowest part of the bars that point back toward you, it's not surprising that you would feel unstable that way.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-23-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

At the shop I went to, they did not do an official "fit" (did make some adjustments though) but said I should ride it once or twice and see how it feels, then come back and get it adjusted...I am thinking maybe raise the bars slightly and maybe a slightly shorter stem as well.

I also think I was interchanging the terms stable and uncomfortable. It actually did feel more stable, now that I think about it, I think I just felt uncomfortable with the position because it is new to me, and it is a pretty gnarly hill!!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    +1 on checking your fit. Aerodynamic fun aside, the main reason to be tucked on a descent is because your center of gravity is lower, you have better control of your weight distribution between the wheels, and you should be *more* stable (and have a better grip on the brakes if you need them). Practicing on the flats to get used to the position and build core strength is a good idea, but feeling stable vs feeling natural/comfortable are two different things, and my thought is that if you don't feel stable, something is probably off with your fit.

Point of terminology that got addressed in another thread ... when you're tucked for a descent, you want your hands in the hooks, the curved part of the handlebars with the closest reach to the levers. If your hands are on the lowest part of the bars that point back toward you, it's not surprising that you would feel unstable that way.
    Agree with OakLeaf.

I am more stable descending with my hands in the drops. Unfortunately, I am also going faster too and I HATE going fast downhill (over 35mph scares the crap out of me). I even lift up my chest to be less aerodynamic going downhill.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Re: Getting used to "racing position" on a road bike

Shoot, anything over 30 freaks me out :-)
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I've hit 35 on a descent WITH the brakes. Combine that and the crazy pavement on that hill and I was not a happy camper!

I don't like being in the drops/hooks/whatever on a long, fast descent, because while I can brake from there, it's a bit of a stretch and I'm not entirely comfortable with it. (Well, I might be now, but I haven't had a chance to find out.) I'll stay on the hoods but scoot back in the saddle. OP, practice the more "aero" position on smaller descents. Get a bike fitting, and work on your core.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I've been over 30 ONCE (with brakes) on some sketchy roads during a group ride in southern Indiana in 2010 (Indysteel will remember that ride) - it was nervy. I've come close to 30 since then but never over it. If you can at all handle the cost get the bike fitting - it is well worth it and a good fitting will keep you comfortable on the bike for far longer than you will remember the cost.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice everyone! I am going to get it fitted tomorrow evening at the shop where I bought it...

I admit I don't feel right in the drops, even on my bike with the great short reach where I can squeeze the brakes quite easily. I just don't like the feeling of speed. I feel out of control. I can go 30 routinely, but once I get over that (rare), the brakes go on. And if I'm descending a hill with turns, forget it. I am slow. Probably the only person who makes up time on the climbs.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I generally brake more on downhills than the people I'm riding with. I'm particularly uncomfortable cornering on a downhill. It's actually something I'm trying to work on. Not that I want to go really fast, but I think it could be dangerous to brake too much on turns due to the risk of skidding. And on a group ride, slowing too much could cause problems for the riders behind me.

I like to ride the in drops on flat roads, and often I'll stay that way on small climbs or on descents. But despite the physics, I generally am most comfortable on the hoods.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yeah, on my commuter bike, which I was doing road rides on until I got this road bike, I never really got to doing more than 20mph on a downhill. I think it will just take some getting used to...when I first first first started riding a few years ago in NYC I remember how terrifying just going downhill on the bridges was...and that couldn't have been more than 12-15mph...learning curve!