Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice for a long event

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's been more than a decade since I've ridden this type of distance in a day. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on 160 miles in heat and humidity. I think I have on-bike nutrition and hydration figured out. Riding lots. I'd love to get others' thoughts and advice. Indy, I'd be particularly interested in your thoughts as I know you've done this event before (thanks the the search feature!).
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

I'm tied up until later tonight but I'll be sure to respond to your question when I'm free. Based on the riding you're doing, it'll be a breeze--if the weather cooperates at least to some degree. It's a blast!

More later....
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks Indy!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Wow. No advice but you give me hope that maybe someday I will actually finish 100 miles. Godspeed, velo! That's amazing
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

I have some advice to offer. :-)

Don't get caught up riding someone else's ride. Ride YOUR ride. If someone is going faster than you want to get, let them go ahead and drop back.

Don't go out too hard. It's a sure recipe for disaster 100 miles later. If it doesn't feel "too easy" for the first 20-30 miles, you are probably going too hard. Pacing is key on these long rides.

Start eating early, nibble all day, and don't stop. If you are hungry, and your next planned stop is 10 miles down the road, that's too far away. Grab something out of your pocket immediately, or stop someplace earlier to refuel. Never let yourself get into a deficit. Digging out of that hole takes a long time.

Gear down early and often. Your quads will thank you at mile 125.

Don't stop unless you have to. Progress at 10 mph is better than no progress while taking a break.

You WILL have a low moment. Even the most experienced distance riders do. If you start having negative thoughts, or start getting cranky, it's usually a good sign that you are low on calories. Eat something, take a drink, and focus no further than the next turn on the cue sheet, or the next curve in the road. And keep pedalling.

Recognize that your reflexes and thought processes will slow as you tire. Don't draft someone you don't know in a tired state, take extra care when passing or changing lanes, and don't allow your attention to wander from the road. Remember that everyone else will be getting tired too, and you don't want someone else's bone-headed maneuver to end your ride early.

I don't know what your nutrition looks like, but fully expect that sweet tastes will turn you off eventually. If all you've brought along is traditional energy bars or snacks, at some point those foods will stop appealing. And when you stop eating late in a ride, you won't last long. If you don't have something savory you can pack, try to find a sandwich shop somewhere around mile 100-125. A turkey sandwich around mile 100 sits well in the stomach and the salty savory flavors will make your sweet-fatigued taste buds happy.

Make sure you know how to fix a flat, and have all the tools necessary to take care of yourself.

As you tire, your body loses it's ability to regulate temperatures as easily. Hot weather feels hotter and cool weather feels cooler. Carry sun sleeves and plenty of sunscreen if it looks to be warm. If it looks to be cooler or you will be out late, pack one more layer than you think you need. A vest and armwarmers can be a life saver when you are exhausted and chilly. Even in summer.

That's all I can think of straight off the top of my head, but more will probably come to me later.

I'm off on a 600K (375 mile) brevet this weekend in Alaska (time limit 40 hours.) I'll be putting my own advice to good use. ;-)

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

A brevet in Alaska?! How cool is that! Have a great time!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Susan is one of the most experience--if not the most experienced--ultra distance cyclists on TE, so listen to what she says! And good luck in Alaska, Susan! Sounds pretty darn cool.

Granted, I've only done RAIN twice, but I think it's easier in many ways than a lot of centuries, so try to keep calm about it. Easy for me to say, right? I darn near threw up the first time I did it; I was so nervous. But if this helps put it in perspective, I did RAIN the year to the day that I really started riding as an adult. Now, I'd put a lot of work in that year, but still, I was pretty green. The thing about RAIN is that the weather can make or break it. The first year I did it, we had a decent tailwind and relatively mild temps. I average 19 mph and finished in the top third. I felt great almost the entire time and the main thing that nearly tripped me up was the hot toe that I get on my right foot. The second year was rainy in the morning and then humid in the afternoon. We had more a crosswind that year, and again, my hot foot toe near killed me. I could barely breath from the pain. I still averaged 18 mph though. The first year, I did the ride with a riding friend who had just finished a xcountry bike trip. She was awesome. The second year, I rode with a woman who was a regular riding budding. I was slightly stronger than her and we separated with about 50 miles left.

So, with that, here's my advice: Get to the start as early as you can and get as close to the front, right as you can. The start of the ride is nerve wracking. Keep to the right and hold your line. A lot of people will be passing you and there's a lot of crazy pacelines. Just stay very aware of what's going on around you. The first part of the ride has some rollers, but nothing crazy. If you need to stop before the first official stop, I think you go through a few towns with fast food restaurants. Everyone is pretty welcoming. When you get to the first stop, get in and out as fast as you can. There are plenty of port-a-potties, so it's pretty easy to keep it brief. Same with the second stop. The morning goes by REALLy quickly, but as Susan said, ride your own pace. You will be very pumped up so it's easy to overdo it.

After the second stop, the route starts to get a little more tedious. And it gets a lot more tedious as you go through Indy. Just try to stay upbeat. It's a good time to be riding with others for a little extra energy. If you have a SAG driver, lunch is a good time to hook up with them. It'll save you from having to fight the crowd and/or eat food not to your liking. Instead, pack your own lunch and have your driver waiting for you at the school. Restock your supplies there, too. Again, get back on the road as quickly as you can. Lingering at lunch can really sap your energy. During lunch DO NOT forget to keep drinking every few minutes. Just a half hour without much liquid can put you into the hole as far as hydration.

The ride out from lunch can also be tedious and hot. It takes a few miles (or more) to get back onto the groove, but keep in mind that you only have 60 miles after lunch and that's totally doable, right? Keep telling yourself that as you settle back into the ride. The route takes you through some country roads and cornfields before dumping you back onto 40 in Greenfield. Many people meet their SAG driver at this spot for an unofficial stop. If you can arrange for it, I would strongly suggest following suit. The next official stop is still a while away, and it's my one quibble (assuming they haven't changed it) with the ride's logistics.

The next and final official stop will feel like heaven to you. I remember running into a friend whose wife had frozen washcloths with her. He offered me one and it was LIKE THE BEST THING EVER! There's also popsicles at the stop. Eat one! From the last stop, you might be riding on fumes, but it's totally doable. There's a long, but shallow ascent into Richmond, but by this point, people are cheering, and you'll hopefully find the gas to finish.

As I mentioned earlier and Susan indicated, sip something every few minutes. An electrolyte replacement is a must on this ride. I typically took one sip of Cytomax for every three of water. I also took some Endurolyte pills for some additional electrolytes. I had food cut into small chunks that I kept in my top tube bag, and I ate something every 15 or so minutes. Obviously it helps to work out your food and drink preferences prior to the ride. My stomach isn't overly fussy, so I'm afraid I don't have much advice there. I try to eat a variety of things, including some salty food. Paydays got me through both rides.

The dynamic of this ride changes if it's really hot and humid. The year before I did it was awful, and a lot of people dropped out. If you're riding with others, keep on the lookout with one another for signs of heat stroke. It is SO important that you stop riding if you start to feel faint, nauseous, confused, etc. Know the signs to look out for. No ride is worth getting sick. To keep your core cool, put ice in your sports bra. If you have a SAG driver, have a ready and ample supply of ice and cold water and cold, pre-made sports drink. It helps to make sure you are very well hydrated in the days leading up to the ride.

Those are the things that most come to mind. In my limited experience, RAIN is a blast. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather and a tailwind. I really wish I was in a position to do it again, but my mileage is a mere fraction of what it needs to be. From that standpoint, it sounds like you are in very good shape. I was riding 200-mile weeks in the time leading up to the ride the first year, but I had only one century (the Horsey Hundred) under my belt at the time. Like I said; I was pretty green. I remember the look on my friends' faces when I decided to do it at the last minute. And I remember the email I sent out when I announced my results wherein I declared that I was no longer "a newb." It was one of my happiest days on a bike, so I hope you enjoy it as much, too!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Susan is one of the most experience--if not the most experienced--ultra distance cyclists on TE, so listen to what she says! And good luck in Alaska, Susan! Sounds pretty darn cool.
    Thanks! Alaska is going to ROCK! 600K out in the middle of BF Nowhere with only two cues on the cuesheet. I've been told to prepare to have my mind blown. Here's the route. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2406925

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Paydays got me through both rides.
    Payday bars are one of my secret weapons! I often purchase one at a control late in a ride when I need a salty treat. I'm doing a 1418K brevet in the UK this summer http://www.londonedinburghlondon.com/ and I'm told that they do not have Payday bars there. I plan to stash a few into my drop bags. Somewhere around 100K, I think that Payday bar will taste like manna from heaven.

Velo - enjoy your ride! One other thing I thought of earlier was to try not to set yourself a time goal or average speed goal. Simply set the goal of finishing in GOOD SPIRITS. Enjoying the ride and having a good experience is the most important thing you can do at this new distance.

There used to be a gal who worked here at TE who did ultra racing. One of her mantras when times got tough was "I'm the luckiest girl in the world". I love it, because it's a reminder that we are so very fortunate to have these strong healthy bodies that allow us to do these things. Even in our lowest moments on the bike, it's better than the very best moments that some people have living inside their bodies. I try not to forget that.

Best,

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

I haven't done a ride more than 180km but here's what I have learnt for afterwards.

Make sure you prepared for after the ride beforehand. Mix a recovery drink up, have your loose clothing laid out and compression tights. Also have a selection of snacks in case you just cannot go out or face a meal.

Look into if a spa, pool etc is available- I used to love a soak in the pool after a full day of hot, sweaty riding.

Elevate your legs (if you have compression tights just putting a pillow under them will really help).

I find a massage the day afterwards is the best. They really can only do a light rub at the tents on the finish line if they have them.

Wow! How lucky am I to have such experienced ladies willing to take so much time to help me out. Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your thoughtful and excellent advice. I literally wrote down everything in my cycling journal so I can have these words of wisdom with me. Here's kind of a summary of most of what I've read:

- Ride your OWN ride; don't get caught up in the excitement and ride out fast
    - The first 20 or 30 should feel "too easy" - this means you're pacing yourself
    - Eat early, eat frequently and eat small (I know that your body can only absorb about 350 calories/hour, so I plan to eat just about that amount and plan on a variety of things including honey stinger blocks, pb on mini ww bagels, bananas, mini snickers, which I like better than payday, gels, sports beans, and turkey/cream cheese roll ups, cut into little spirals)
    - Gear down early and often ; spin instead of hammer; anticipate climbs and descents
    - Don't stop unless you have to and keep breaks short (I will have personal SAG vehicle, so plan to use the organized stops mainly for the port-a-potties and plan to pack my own lunch)
    - Eat every 15 minutes or so (I have set a timer on my garmin to go off every 30 minutes just in case, so I'm eating AT LEAST that often, as every 15 is more frequent than I have been eating on my centuries)
    - Sweet will become unappetizing in the last 1/3 of the ride - have something savory (great advice and this is what I've been doing for my centuries)
    - Have plenty of sunscreen and perhaps sunsleeves as temps will feel different than true air temp
    - Have a personal SAG stop at Greenfield, as next SAG is a ways away
    - Frozen washcloths near end - heaven!!
    - Use a top tube bag for food
    - At start, keep to the right and hold my line to avoid the chaos
    - Get to the start early and get to the front of the pack
    - Endurolyte pills
    - Cut food into small chunks (another very excellent piece of advice that I had not thought of)
    - Paydays (I prefer Snickers, but same principle - fast energy, but not too fast to spike blood sugar)
    - Note symptoms of heat stroke in others and self
    - Put ice in sports bra; have lots of cold energy drinks and water
    - EAT THE POPSICLE!

Thank you again for ALL of the great advice. I have ridden this, but it's been so many years, I have a hard time remembering much other than the heat and that ascent into Richmond. I think I have a pretty good base - I'll have about 2350 at the end of this week and by go-time probably close to 3000 with an additional 500 trainer miles. I plan on my longest ride before to be 130 miles, then a week to 10 days of taper with my last ride being a very easy ride on Thursday.

Indy, thank you again for your experienced advice.

Susan - you totally rock and I am in awe of your abilities. What you are doing is nothing short of amazing and proof of how strong women are. I hope you thoroughly enjoy Alaska (how cool is that?!!) and the UK this summer. Fun! Thank you again for all of your sage advice. I will take it all to heart and be thanking you from the saddle next month.
    Last edited by velo; 06-20-2013 at 03:36 AM.

This is a total thread jack, but Susan do you have a blog? I'd love to follow it if you do. What amazing adventures to ride in such cool places for those distances!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

As far as eating every 15 minutes versus 30. I typcially don't eat that often either, but that's why I ate smaller chunks of food during RAIN. It was less food but more often. I think it helped.

Wow; a 130-mile ride a week or so before RAIN. That's more ambitious than anything I did to train for it, and I have to wonder whether a week to ten days will be enough to recover from it. Maybe I'm just slow to recover, but I will tell you that took me about two full weeks after RAIN to feel like myself again physically and mentally. If I were you, I'd either forego that ride altogether or do it at least two full weeks in advance. I truly believe that your base is more than adequate as is. But perhaps some of the ultra-distance cyclists on TE will chime in on that.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm sorry Indy, I may have not been clear. No, I'm planning to do the 130 one day this weekend, three weeks from the ride. I might try one more century the following weekend (the final bit of the course - out and back), but after that... at the 2 week mark... plan to not do anything ambitious at all. I'm slow to recover, too, and will need that full 2 weeks to take it easy, do some spinning for moderate distances and then that last week really cut it down. Last few days prior will be little to no riding, with perhaps some easy walks. Trying to be smart about this. I know you can over-train and then mess things up for the event day.

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    I'm sorry Indy, I may have not been clear. No, I'm planning to do the 130 one day this weekend, three weeks from the ride. I might try one more century the following weekend (the final bit of the course - out and back), but after that... at the 2 week mark... plan to not do anything ambitious at all. I'm slow to recover, too, and will need that full 2 weeks to take it easy, do some spinning for moderate distances and then that last week really cut it down. Last few days prior will be little to no riding, with perhaps some easy walks. Trying to be smart about this. I know you can over-train and then mess things up for the event day.
    That makes good sense. Let us know how the 130-miler goes.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

No constructive comments to make, but have fun! It looks like you have some great advice from those who know. Do keep us posted on how everything goes!