Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyasa Yoga

To disable ads, please log-in.

I hope to get back to my class this Saturday, I didn't go last week since I rode that morning. I've nothing to compare it with outside of the fact that nothing hurts I had tried a yoga class at my last gym and it left me in a fair amount of pain - and that was prior to my assorted sports-related injuries since then.

Oakleaf - does Vinyasa = relaxed yin work? I suppose I should start to read a little if I am going to continue with this. In the end, I KNOW my body needs something to balance out the intense training I make it endure, and I was really struck by how calm I felt after the last class I attended. Indeed, I felt kind of floaty, like a natural high for a short time afterwards. I think that means my body approves - of at least I HOPE that's what it means!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I hope to get back to my class this Saturday, I didn't go last week since I rode that morning. I've nothing to compare it with outside of the fact that nothing hurts I had tried a yoga class at my last gym and it left me in a fair amount of pain - and that was prior to my assorted sports-related injuries since then.

Oakleaf - does Vinyasa = relaxed yin work? I suppose I should start to read a little if I am going to continue with this. In the end, I KNOW my body needs something to balance out the intense training I make it endure, and I was really struck by how calm I felt after the last class I attended. Indeed, I felt kind of floaty, like a natural high for a short time afterwards. I think that means my body approves - of at least I HOPE that's what it means!
    Yin yoga and the typical vinyasa class are quite different. Vinyasa is a generic term, but in my experience in Indy it typically refers to a class that moves relatively quickly from asana (pose) to asana, with an emphasis on linking the breath to movement. A class might include some breathwork at the beginning, followed by a series of sun saluations, then a series of standing poses, and ending with a series of seated poses and Shavasana. Some of the poses may be held only for a breath, some as much as five or ten breaths. But, generally speaking, you will be moving relatively quickly from pose to pose. Again, vinyasa is a general term, so this may vary from class to class, studio to studio. What's important to emphasize is that the class will focus primarily on active poses and on "yang" tissues, i.e., muscle tissues. I would add that most of my vinyasa classes include some yin poses, typically in the latter third of class.

Yin classes focus more on connective tissue, e.g., joints, ligaments, fascia, and tendons, and bone. You hold poses for longer periods of time, sometimes up to 20 minutes. Poses are more passsive than active, but don't misunderstand that to mean that they're easy. It, my opinion, it can be very hard mentally and physically to hold a pose--even as a seated one--for long periods of time.

My particular vinyasa classes are hard; they are not a physical "break" from my training, although I'd note that not all vinyasa classes are equally challenging. Mentally, I like vinyasa classes. My mind is too frenzied to relax in a yin class, but that says more about me than yin yoga. I can't say what would be best for you. It might be to your benefit to try different styles and teachers. But if you're looking for just some gentle, meditative stretching, look for classes billed as such. Ultimately, I think your best bet may be to worry less about the style of yoga and more about the quality and experience of the teacher.
    Last edited by indysteel; 08-15-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy - thanks for the description! I really like Dona and trust her skill and ability to help me modify what I need to in order to not hurt myself - at this point I don't really care what style we use - I don't know enough to care about the difference.. As a lot of my issues are fascia related more than anything, it sounds like I might eventually want to try a yin class.

I really like that Dona starts out asking us if we have any particular body part we would like to address, and she fits things in so apparently seamlessly! Then again, she is very experienced.