Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Only a male cyclist...

To disable ads, please log-in.

would consider this okay to do...at work!!!!

Attachment 16494

I'm beginning to suspect I work with odd people.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Well, depends on where you work I suppose. And kinda, how cool is it to work somewhere that that is ok!

My reaction was, only a male cyclist would pile the wet shorts on top of the wet jersey, defeating the purpose of hanging them outside.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Well, depends on where you work I suppose. And kinda, how cool is it to work somewhere that that is ok!

My reaction was, only a male cyclist would pile the wet shorts on top of the wet jersey, defeating the purpose of hanging them outside.
    Guy works for Natural Resources, and does this after our lunchtime rides. Another time, he hung them on one of the bird cages they use for the catch and release program. The cages have entrances, and bird food on the inside. Most birds can't figure out how to escape, so the NR guys can gently pick them up, weigh them and record other data, put a cylindrical tag on one leg, and let them go.

Can you imagine how dirty the bird cage/clothing rack must be? The other cyclist I work with made a point of telling that the shorts (on the chair) weren't his. I assured him that I knew only the other guy would do such a thing.

It was hot outside, so after that, I rushed to'laundry guy's' office and exclaimed: Oh! What a relief! We saw your shorts out there, and were afraid you'd melted. Glad you're safe!

Yeah, odd people.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

About a month ago I was searching through google to find the dimensions of a waterbottle. (I needed one not too tall but still good capacity). Anyways, while I was searching I found male cyclists searching the same thing only they wanted to put their bike tools in the water bottles! I kind of chuckled at that. So if you see men with water bottles remember they don't always contain fluids, it might be an extra tube and multi tool. I also thought "only men"!
    Lucy 2012 Surly Cross Check
    Sally 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Peppermint Patty 2009 Trek 4500 WSD
    Marcie 2008 Giant Sedona
    Violet 1994 Norco Kokanee

You know, when I have to drive a ways to get home after a long ride, I change into clean clothes and spread my shorts out in the back of the car on top of the blanket that covers my the bike. They don't dry that way but at least they're not rolled up inside my bike bag. But if I have to stop to eat or go to the store or anything on the way home, I will usually put them on the floor so that they're not visible to anyone looking inside my parked car. Not because I'm trying to keep my valuables out of site, it's because, ew, sweaty bike shorts.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

well I have done a couple of cross country rides with women, and we're all pretty uninhibited about hanging clean and or dirty gear across the railings, low branches on trees, bushes and hedges of whatever Holiday, Days, or Red roof inn we are staying at for the night. So perhaps it is more a question of not wanting your wet nasty stuff mildewing in your gym bag or smelling up your car- practicality rather than a male female thing. Just sayin.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Oh, when I did Women's Quest we all hung our shorts from the bushes. But it's another thing doing it at the office, I think! And women at least know that if you put one article of wet clothing on top of another, neither will dry, and both will reek.

Muirenn, why do I think your coworker probably puts those things back on for his ride home, dry or not?

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Oh, when I did Women's Quest we all hung our shorts from the bushes. But it's another thing doing it at the office, I think! And women at least know that if you put one article of wet clothing on top of another, neither will dry, and both will reek.

Muirenn, why do I think your coworker probably puts those things back on for his ride home, dry or not?
    He drives quite a distance, so he doesn't commute by bike. And it would be insane if he tried, too dangerous. Nope. Those are for the next group ride, sans cleaning.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

We just leave our shorts hanging around in the back at work... Granted, it's a bike shop. We're allowed.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Murienn, that's disgusting! He uses the shorts again, unwashed? I have no issue about hanging my clothes out, like in a hotel, but I would *not* do it at work. When I commuted, I hung my shorts in a closet in my classroom that my students never went into. And yes, I did wear the same ones for the commute home. When I first started commuting, it was only 6.5 miles. After Imoved, it was just under 14, but my shorts always dried and I never had issues. I brough fresh socks, though, and often a different jersey/ less layers. Sometimes it was 45 when I rode to work and 75-85 on the way home.
    When I went to buy gloves a few weeks ago, the owner of the LBS I was at told me he "didn't know what happens" after gloves are washed because he "just wears them until they fall apart." I looked at him and said "gross," and added "Don't tell me you don't wash your shorts."
    I am just thinking about how sweaty my gloves were yesterday when I took them off.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Marni, I don't think hanging your clothing while on a bike tour is quite the same as putting them inside-out one a chair next to one of the main entrances at work. definitely not the same as a bike shop, either.

I guess guys can get away with wearing the same shorts over days better than we can, but.... I think if I commuted by bike, I'd probably wear the same shorts home, unless I detected any problems.

He used to lay them out in his office the same way, often over his bike handlebars. And that is still where they go in between group rides. I've always found it...interesting. This is how I know he repeats them a couple days later without cleaning.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 07-21-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I think even in a bike shop, Owlie did say "in the back." Not "draped over the display bikes where the customers see them as they walk in the door."