Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What type of mountain bike should I get?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am a good rider and want to have a bike capable of doing downhill mountain biking. I also want to be able to do cross country mountain biking without buying multiple bikes. I think that the bike I would need would be in the "all mountain, duel suspension" type of bikes, but are there other categories of bikes more suitable to my needs? Also what brand and/or model bike would I be needing to get?

You may have trouble finding any bike that will be great for both downhill and x-country due to the varying geometries necessary for bikes to excel at the different types of riding. I ride a Pivot and highly recommend them. Lots of people love the Mach 5.7 as an all around bike. The Firebird is designed more for all mountain riding. I would guess that the 5.7 would be better at x-country while the Firebird would excel on the downhill. Here's a link to their website http://www.pivotcycles.com/ You can give the Pivot folks a call, too. They are very helpful.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

What type of mountain bike should I get?

Something with about six inches of travel might work, at least that's what they use in BC where they like some up with their down. Something like a Giant Reign might be just the ticket. I think what "category" you want is "all mountain": lots of travel for the downhills, yet they'll climb well.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I agree with Alfredo8100. I think that you should go into a store and discuss your intentions and your budget.

Downhill bikers vary greatly in how fast and how high they jump. So, I think that if you are an aggressive downhill biker that jump off short cliffs, possibly only a downhill bike would suit you.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)