Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just back into it last May after yeeaars of being away. I am 63 now with physical issues .. bad knees and back surgery. I had gained way too much weight (for me anyways) and needed to drop 20 + lbs. and have lost most of it.

My advice to you is to start off slow only a one or two miles every day and after a week stretch your ride out longer to build leg muscles and stamina (wind/lungs) I would push myself a little at a time. .. Now I can easily do a 15 mile ride averaging 14 mph up and down slopes and still not feel wiped out.

This is my road bike that I bought last may a 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact that I ride on group rides that meet twice a week. I now have a REI Novara trunk on the rack that is loaded with all kinds of stuff, including an emergency kit, tools, extra tire tubes, rain jacket. Just last week a guy went over his bike and sliced a finger wide open. I was able to stop the bleeding & patch him up so he could continue with the ride..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	16588

The top tube bag is made by TimBuck 2 Goody Bag. I keep my house keys, pen, small ID wallet and my iPhone 5 on top. So handy to get out and take pics. A guy in our group works for a bike shop and was impressed with the functionality of the bag .. looking to get it in stock in the store where he works. I bought this on sale under $30.00

http://www.rei.com/product/829993/ti...-top-tube-pack

Since you mentioned your seat hurt .. invest in some padded bike shorts or capris. I LOVE mine. The padding/chamois helps to keep you in the right spot on the saddle. Bike specific clothing serves a real purpose. Jeans and street clothing seem to choke off the circulation at the back of the knees, seams rub .. extremely uncomfortable on longer rides.

BTW .. To do 5 miles your first time out was expecting too much of yourself. Take it slower to avoid injury .. and above all .. HAVE FUN.
    Last edited by kris7047th; 08-02-2013 at 04:46 PM.