Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yeah, I should add also that after tens of thousands of miles on road bikes, including commuting, recreational riding, solo unsupported touring and local/regional racing, I burned out hard and didn't ride anything non-motorized for 10 years. In the interim I *did* ride motorcycles, so it wasn't like I wasn't riding anything on two wheels. But when I first test rode my hybrid, probably over 40# with an upright riding position and a long wheelbase, I literally thought I was going to fall right off the thing.

They say you can't forget how to ride a bike, but I sure came close to forgetting. It wasn't long before I was comfortable on the hybrid, but it was NOT instant, either.

Getting back on a road bike was more of an emotional barrier than a physical one, for me, but when it happened, I'd already been riding the hybrid for three years and at least 1,000 miles. And I still have my errand bike.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-12-2013 at 05:27 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

A hybrid or a mountain bike might be great to have around because they are good bikes to ride casually with the kids when your kids get into biking.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

What about a used bike? When I started riding again after about a 30 year hiatus, I purchased a used bike from a pawn shop.
    I knew it wouldn't be my final bike but I needed something to get my feet wet again, to work out fit issues, and to get an initial feel for gearing.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

I too started riding again about 3 years ago at 39 years old. I chose a Specialized Vita Elite (hybrid) sicne I liked the idea of having numbers to see which gear I was riding in. I rode about 2000 miles on that bike and decided that I wanted to do metric centuries and maybe one day a full century. I traded my hybrid in on my road bike (full carbon frame). I would suggest a good local bike shop (LBS) that would be willing to trade up when and if you decide to trade for a road bike. A friend of mine rented a bike on the weekends for three weekends in a row to get "used to" riding again, she then went to the LBS and purchased a road bike because she fell in love with riding. Either way get the bike you feel confident riding.

I started on a FX, I switched to a road bike pretty quickly but I kept the FX as a commuter and errand bike. My first one was destroyed in an accident, however I bought a replacement and still use it between 50 and 100 km a week to this day. Awesome bike!!

I have also done rides of more than 50 km in one day in the FX and it's not a problem. I would not do that by choice all the time, I do prefer my road bike for long rides, but it's not going to stop you from starting into long rides.

If I was to start again I'd do the same.

Ojo, do you have any updates? I'm dying to know what you end up with!

I thought I posted last night. I am sorry, I guess it didnt go through. I have decided to go the FX route. Especially since I live in Denver, I could keep it as a winter bike when I get a road bike. I go in tomorrow to get measured so my LBS can order this beauty. I test drove a trek FX and liked it. Only thing was I really wanted a WSD version. So they are going to order it so I can test drive it and I am almost sure I will get it.

http://treads.com/product/trek-7.0-f...s-192566-1.htm

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and experiences. It really helped me figure out what was best for me and that it was ok, that there wasnt a right or wrong way to go about it.

Re: Want to start Riding but feeling a bit overwhelmed and defeated.

Congrats! I'm sure you'll be very happy with your choice. PS...we love pics :-)
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Just came from being measured. I am sooooo excited, this will be the longest week of my life, lol!! I will post pictures as soon as I get it.

Very cool! Congratulations! It will definitely be a long week, but oh so exciting when you go to pick it up

Oh, and i just realized that is a 2014? Great...now I have to go look at the Trek site to see what other 2014's are out

Well, I finally got my bike. We picked up yesterday, and they made sure it seem to be fitted correctly. I rode around the block a few times last time. Then this morning, I went for a ride with my husband and son. We were planning a 5 mile to 10 mile ride. Well, on the way up the hill I somehow tried to stop and trip and fell with bike and all. But am fine, barely scratch my knee. I was a bit shaken up, but my husband being the Marine he is, encourage me to get back on and atleast finish the loop. I did. It ended up being about a little over a mile. But my sit bones were really killing me. So, I came home and they went on.I did get padded shorts.

Maybe I will venture out tonight. Also as promised here are a couple of pictures of my new bike.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9714-1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	16573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	16574

Re: Want to start Riding but feeling a bit overwhelmed and defeated.

Beautiful bike and good for you getting out there!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by ojoscafes View Post
    Well, I finally got my bike. We picked up yesterday, and they made sure it seem to be fitted correctly. I rode around the block a few times last time. Then this morning, I went for a ride with my husband and son. We were planning a 5 mile to 10 mile ride. Well, on the way up the hill I somehow tried to stop and trip and fell with bike and all. But am fine, barely scratch my knee. I was a bit shaken up, but my husband being the Marine he is, encourage me to get back on and atleast finish the loop. I did. It ended up being about a little over a mile. But my sit bones were really killing me. So, I came home and they went on.I did get padded shorts.

Maybe I will venture out tonight. Also as promised here are a couple of pictures of my new bike.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9714-1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	16573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	16574
    Try tilting the nose of you saddle up a bit and see if that helps with sit bones
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Try tilting the nose of you saddle up a bit and see if that helps with sit bones
    I will definitely try that tomorrow!! Thanks so much