Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been suffering through the heat and humidity too this week. I hit the streets at 6 a.m. and am sweat-soaked in half a mile most days. Not enjoying this at all; I've been going slow and/or cutting it short most days. Today was a standard 6 miles, but at a long run pace. Beautiful sunrise, though!

Tomorrow is the Bluegrass state games 5k/10k, and since I haven't pre-registered I still need to decide which distance to do. Race is at 8am so it won't be absolutely beastly yet. But I'm leaning towards the 5k as the 10k is just 2 trips around the course (boring) and my chances of winning a "state champion" t-shirt are undoubtedly better at the shorter distance.

Could still end up deciding it's just too humid to race, though!

It was too humid to race. Between the heat and an ongoing cat squabble I got very little sleep. Oh well. This week is supposed to be much cooler-- and next Saturday's 5k is notorious for a plethora of very large trophies, the older the age group the more extravagant the trophy. It's also one of the cheapest races on the calendar. Fun!

I like my current approach of running/walking splits, rinse and repeat. I don't know how long I am actually running now before breaking with a walk, it really has to do with the trail terrain. The hiller/rootier it is, the splits are much shorter. The flatter the easier of course. I got dirt on my new trail shoes last night I am, however, paying close attention to my how my heel cords and hamstrings feel - if I feel things getting tight(er) then it is time to walk. This might be overly conservative but I really want to avoid injury since I've never "been a runner".

I had fun last night, though I was only out for about 25 minutes. I felt more secure on the trail and found myself relaxing more than before - the increased traction of the new shoes made a noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I like my current approach of running/walking splits, rinse and repeat. I don't know how long I am actually running now before breaking with a walk, it really has to do with the trail terrain. The hiller/rootier it is, the splits are much shorter. The flatter the easier of course. I got dirt on my new trail shoes last night I am, however, paying close attention to my how my heel cords and hamstrings feel - if I feel things getting tight(er) then it is time to walk. This might be overly conservative but I really want to avoid injury since I've never "been a runner".

I had fun last night, though I was only out for about 25 minutes. I felt more secure on the trail and found myself relaxing more than before - the increased traction of the new shoes made a noticeable difference.
    This is great. It sounds like we are using the same methods....and congrats on getting the shoes dirty
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    This is great. It sounds like we are using the same methods....and congrats on getting the shoes dirty
    Basically I am adapting the "Couch to 5K" guidance to the trail. My gym work is very intense and varied - but I don't think much anything translates to running rather than, well, running. I've no timetable on how this goes, just focusing on having fun and paying attention to my body. Hopefully I can actually RIDE tomorrow night, we will see Glad to hear that someone else is on this same road...errrr...trail!

Nice Catrin and TrekDianna!

Congrats yellow, very nice job on the 50 miler.

I was only intending to do about 8.5 today but it wound up a little over 10. Not that big a deal except that that's about the range where I prefer to carry water. But it was cooler and cloudy today, so a nice run.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well I made it out for a run again today. It was hot, humid and slow (again) but I did it. I'll just keep trying to plug along here and there until summer is over. I hope when I go on vacation up in Wisconsin and Michigan to get a few runs in--I'm sure there will be less humidity!!

K
    katluvr

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Thanks, Oak. The first 30 miles were really, really good. I was on track for a great finishing time. Then there was this climb of 2000' in 2 miles, at altitude, in 95 degree weather, no shade, reflective surface(decomposed granite). It destroyed me completely. I recovered a little but around mile 35 but the heat got me again. I ended up walking the last several miles and completely lost it at the last AS because I was _so_ hot. After I finished I ended up in the med tent covered with ice.

It was a beautiful course and the volunteers and my support crew were awesome. I wasn't really even sore afterward, which means that I really didn't run that hard. I am frustrated and disappointed but it's just what the trail gave me. I'm doing a lot of questioning now. Not sure I want to do this any more!

Here's a pic right before the climb from hell :-) My safety runner is on the left and I am on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	16500

Yellow....amazing! Doing distance, climbs, altitude AND heat! Great job that you finished!

K
    katluvr

You did great, yellow, conditions were brutal. You should be proud!

I didn't want to head out yesterday morning until DH had figured out his plans, and by the time he did, the nice morning weather was finished. Between being ticked off about that, sad about him being gone again, and not having run the day before, I really needed a run. The storm hadn't hit my house by the time I got my shoes on, but it was coming - first time I'd run in the rain on purpose in a very long time.

Round about halfway I'm starting to think that maybe wasn't such a great idea. It stayed warm enough to be comfortable getting drenched, the wind gusts never got strong enough to take me off my feet, the water wasn't all the way across the road in the low points, and I never saw hail, but there was a LOT of lightning. One bolt came so close that I instinctively covered my head in my hands. That would've done a lot of good, I'm sure. Nothing to do at that point but run the other half of the loop, exult in the power of the weather and the feeling of my body in it, and think that being struck by lightning is as good a way to go as any.

It really was a glorious run. Wound up doing the 8.5 mile loop eight minutes faster than I'd done it recently, even with my shoes and socks so soaked and heavy that they were throwing off my stride, probably mostly because of the cooling effect of the rain. The sun was back out by the time I got home. And, I found out that my newest shoes dry super quick. Yay.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-24-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Yay, Yellow. Well done.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Re: July (L)egg fry running

Yellow and Oak, you both did great! Yellow, you were dealing with so much and you stuck with it!

Oak, that would be scary! I've noticed that the thought of running rather than riding in the rain is less scary to me. Unsure I need to hit the trails in the rain though...even if they aren't single-track there are things to fall on my noggin.

Started my 3 day weekend with a run. 3.4 miles today (I've only been running 3), still slow pace and boy it's hot. Not a bit of movement in the air, not even the tiniest of breezes! I used to like summer!
    katluvr

This morning it was 58F with low humidity at dawn-- perfect running weather! I was going to take a rest day today but no way was I missing this. Lots of other runners out on the streets too, all looking happy. Went 7.3 miles in just over an hour and it was delightful.

And we just might hit a record low of 53 or so on Monday. This cool weather is such a treat.