Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Dead Front Derailleur

To disable ads, please log-in.

The weirdest thing happened. I hopped on my bike to go meet a friend. As I started pedaling my chain jumped from the middle front chain ring to the big chain ring, kinda strange but I just assumed my bar end shifter had been bumped. Move the shifter and nothing happens. Front Derailleur doesn't respond at all. So try the back shifter and no problem. Had the Bike Hermit look at it when I got back and my derailleur spring had basically sheared off. He says, wow, I have never seen this before... Of course, we don't have what I need in stock so I will be riding the flats in the middle chain ring until next week. Should be fine at today's temperature is going to be 106. I attribute some of it to all the dirt and gravel road riding we have been doing. On a positive note, he rebuilt my headset while Sky was in the stand - I am so lucky
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Very strange indeed!

I had a similar situation with a friends bike. We were headed to a beautiful area to ride in NH, and it is quite hilly. At any rate, I drive to pick up my friend and see her riding her bike around her the area that she lives in. This is a bike that truly doesn't see much action with her, as she has plenty of other bikes to ride. Anyway, she mentions that her Front Derailleur isn't working and I look at it, and it isn't going to... it is absolutely gone! There was a tremendous amount of play in the derailleur laterally,although everything was tight. So she obvioulsy had to opt to ride another bike....

Anyway, I'm glad that you got the situation resolved, at least once the deraiileur arrives!

Now if you lived here in Houston you could practically live with a single speed 24/7. I think I rode my bike for over 6 months only using 3 gears. It wasn't until we took a trip a little farther west that I discovered what those other gears were for

It's nice that you have a live in bike mech to handle these things. Hopefully it will be back in action soon.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I had a the jockey wheel tension spring break on a rear derailleur once. With a sagging chain, I could still coast downhills and pedal slowly on the flats but had to walk the uphills.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Out of curiosity, about how many miles were on that FD? I've never heard of that either.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

"alot" I don't track my miles but I have had Sky since 2009 (I think) or 2008 and while she gets regular checkups the front derailleur isn't something I think about and I don't know that I would have noticed a problem anyway. So my guess is well over 10,000 miles. Is a Shimano but not sure of the exact model number. So far I've only missed my small chain ring once but have been staying in the "flats"
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Out of curiosity, about how many miles were on that FD? I've never heard of that either.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com