Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bike Shop, Fantasy vs. Reality

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey All:

Time passes slow when you are stuck in your house covered by a stroke and 18 inches of new snow...so I got to thinking about work, when would I go back, could I ever go back etc. etc. Then I started writing a business plan, a real live business plan for my very own bike shop for women, and their spouses, and their kids. My question what would you put into YOUR very own bike shop??? For bikes I am thinking about carrying a Bianchi line, a Trek line, (although they might compete very closely), hubby wants Colnago, and possibly Felt. How about clothing??? Shoes??? Bags??? Anything that would go into YOUR shop would be welcome in mine.

Since I live in New England I would have to open a winter sports line so I am thinking about cross country ski and snowshoe equipment. Not mention healthy parkas and the likes. This to help pay the rent when bike sales dive in the fall!!

This has always been a dream of mine, but lately it seems like it could be a possibility...any takers???

karen
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

I would carry Sheila Moon clothing - made by a cyclist for cyclists.

Can I get a job????
    Seriously, I am looking for a retirement job as of June 07. Other than that, make sure your shop has a range of clothing sizes. I am frustrated when I can't find my size in a shop, even though I know the company makes it. And the x country ski thing is a perfect complement. Snowshoes, too.

Robyn

I'll take a job too. I was a damn good bike mechanic 1973-1976. I've only got 30 years of progress to catch up with! Great ideas, Karen. Keep dreaming and planning.

Your both HIRED...

Surlygirl does not know it yet but she is going to be my HR rep. Although she calls herself Surly she is by far the nicest person I know!!

I had already thought about snowshoes...does anyone know how to fit them? If I remember right it was a long process when I bought mine.

karen

I can even fit the old 13x30 flat bearpaws. Used to make the bindings myself. The new ones are just a matter of fitting your boot size to the binding and getting the proper flotation for your body+pack weight. And knowing where you'll snowshoes.

I know ya'll may laugh - but make the stuff easy to find. There are times at my LBS I can't tell if I'm looking at women specific, men specific or unisex clothing, shoes, whatevers. oh - and the changing room to try stuff on: is the same room the guys use as their toilet.....could we have a seperate changing room? and a website so those of us out here at the other end of the country can support our SCA!!

so: you're covered in 18" of snow?? aren't you cold??? or is it those awesome mitts from SK keeping you warm?

oh oh oh oh oh.....I think you should carry some of those Assos Bib Tights for women too!!

and an AWESOME return policy on seats!! and my LBS offers lifetime free maintainence on any bike purchased from them. It's just the basic maintainence but what a selling tool for mechanically challenged or single women! plus they'll come to you for all their other mechanical needs since ya'll are already taking care of their bikes.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

for a lifestyle section, try if you can retail Rapha.

http://www.rapha.cc/

never bought any of that stuff but it looks sooo classy.

also, the ultimate decoration object: a vintage bike store just opened close to my house. I believe it is the current fashion among the "really cool people" hereabouts to ride vintage road bikes.
    saw this very shiny vintage road bike with campagnolo record (!) gruppo, hanging in their window.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I second the XC-ski equipment

Apart from the major retail chains (REI, etc.), I have had a devil of a time trying to find XC ski equipment in the Greater Boston area. Even the chain stores had sold out of most of their merchandise by Christmas, and of course, none could offer any expertise at all in selection or fitting.

As for bike stuff, an extensive selection of women's clothing is always a plus. I would also be interested in a store that could cater to women's informational needs (sort of like this board): for example, links to mtb and road skills classes for women, perhaps bike maintenance clinics, bike fittings, etc.

The notion of a bike store catering (wholly or partly???) to women's bike lines sounds like a riskier proposition to me. While I own one WSD bike (my mtb), I was not entirely sold on the concept initially, and even now I might hesitate before buying from a shop that was too narrowly restricted to the 'women's-only' segment of the market. I have the luxury of an exceptionally well-stocked LBS in my vicinity (Belmont Wheelworks), and while I don't always love the attitude I seem to pick up from many of their employees (actually, I rather hate it), I do value their selection and expertise.

In terms of bikes, I do love the pizazz of Specialized (my mtb) and Cannondale (my road bike). Both have women's lines, although I have never tried the C'dale in a women's frame. If you do go the WSD route, at least stock plenty of bright, flashy colors! No dainty pastels, please.

From someone who has done a bit of research here let me tell you.. You may WANT to carry a certain brand, but that doesn't mean they will sell to you or let you become a dealer. It's very political out there. Sort of a nightmare actually. "well if your gonna carry so and so then you can't carry us".. I think it's gotten worse the last few years. I've notcied that the new shops have a harder time picking up multiple brands, but the older shops seem to carry multiple brands? That may also have something to do with a long term reputation as well.
    There is a great shop in the San Fran area that caters to women. It's called See jane Run. You might want to check out their website.
    I'd say the one thing I'd like to see beside a huge selection is a NICE welcoming staff. A staff that makes you feel comfortable when you enter the store. There is a big local chain here in the Phoenix area that I avoid like the plague because they are so arrogant. They seem to look down their nose at me. Thats why I love Trisports in Tucson so much. Even though they carry high end stuff they are nice and helpful! I actually drove 2.5 hours to buy my bike, and didn't mind in the least bit. It's all about service! Provide it and a decent price and you'll be golden!

Running Mom...

The competition to get brands around here will also be very tough. I know you have to play the you- can't -sell -that -because -so -and -so -sells- it game et. nauseaum. I think I would have to research the western part of the state some more...hence the plan It sure is great to get all the feedback tho, something is missing in every shop fer sur!!

I don't think I'd lock into specific WSD...but that would be a big part of the shop. I do like the Cannondale, people are very loyal to it...don't tell my DH
    but I think LeMond is also a good female line and I hear rumor they are going to do a carbon frame for next year?!?

karen
    ps-Corsair, you are in charge of all things tights and how one wears 'em!

If I setting up a DREAM SHOP, I would carry Specialized road and mountain bikes, Cannondale, Colnago, Lightspeed, but I would also want to be an authorized dealer for custom bikes like Landshark, Kish, Caffey, Holland, Seven, Serrota, Niner, Gunnar etc. I would carry a number of different clothing lines - for different price ranges and sizes - Nema, Pearl I, Sugoi, Assos, Fox, and all sorts of components and equipment....

The reality? Unless I have millions of dollars to spend so I can buy and carry the product, it's never going to happen. Plus I agree there is this whole political thing abut what bikes shops can carry. Where I live shops are now force to be Trek only or Performance Only. Only the little shops can carry the other brands but then don't have the money to do that. Specialized is not really carried anywhere in the OC/CA area so they are going to open their own shop. Nema (my favorite brand of MTB clothing) had to open a warehuse shop as well. What's happening out there????
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by massbikebabe
    Your both HIRED...

Surlygirl does not know it yet but she is going to be my HR rep. Although she calls herself Surly she is by far the nicest person I know!!

karen
    Wow, I just tuned in and I'm in HR. So I think you ought to open the shop on the future bike trail. The Worcester to Providence. Somewhere where you get the road traffic and the rail trail traffic too. Then you also get the cross country skiers too in the winter. Is Brian going to be the mechanic? I think CorsairMac should come out to the opening and do the modeling for the Assos bibs. She can be our runway model!
    Count me in woman!

And if you decide to carry a tri line I'd carry Elites. That is my dream bike, well besides the oh so sexy looking Orbea's. Elite is a smallish company in Philly and they are FAB w/ their customer service! In my next life I'm going to have one custom made for me w/ a sweet little aloha themed paint job.
    I think it was Cervelo that said they "aren't currently looking for new dealers" ( insert snooty guy w/ nose in the air).

How about some of those funny bike jerseys and the socks that you can only find on the internet? I seem to see the same styles in every store.