Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by luv'nAustin
    How about some of those funny bike jerseys and the socks that you can only find on the internet? I seem to see the same styles in every store.
    Yep luv'nAustin is right - most bike shop apparel for women = boring.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Hmmm, I think a tri-line might work...

don't recall seeing much tri stuff in this area. I too am "hoping" for Specialized but I think that may be unrealistic as there are many Specialized dealers close to me. I do like there products, especially clothing and mtn. bikes. I would love to open a shop that has fashionable clothing and not having a team name splayed across my bosom...that would be cool I think I would also offer larger sizes for large size riders, and limit the European size clothing to those who ask.

Anyone who has offered to work for me is hired...see Surly!!!

Corsair: Runway model...you go woman

Surly your location choices are awesome...we will have to get out there and ride soon as possible to find a site!!

karen
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

Nice looking bike gear important

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk
    Yep luv'nAustin is right - most bike shop apparel for women = boring.
    That's surely the case here. Not only is it boring, but the selection is teeny. I have this wild idea that if women knew they could look a-ok while riding, they might put more time on their bike. Moreover, even tho I have to change once I get to the office, I think that when my bike clothing is nice-looking that it confers more legitimacy, maybe not the best word, or something to my choice to commute by bike, which isn't common here, esp. for women. I just find that management and others seem to respond more positively when I'm wearing nice looking bike-specific gear than when they see me in grungier street/commuting gear.

/s

Hey Karen,
    How about TE east coast division? See if Susan wants to expand her horizons! I do all my shopping here because there isn't anything in the bike stores around here.

Quote Originally Posted by massbikebabe
    Corsair: Runway model...you go woman

Surly your location choices are awesome...we will have to get out there and ride soon as possible to find a site!!

karen

more like "run-a-way" model!

I think having a bike shop right on a bike path is an Awesome idea!!

Lemond bikes are made by Trek so if you're going to carry Trek, you should have no problems carrying Lemond.

Specialized changed their "sales" tactic this year just as an FYI. My LBS was a Trek/Specialized dealer but no more. Spec is requiring all their dealers to maintain a certain amount of inventory and is dictating the type of inventory the LBS can carry. For some of the little guys like mine, it was too big a inventory to have on the books and Spec wouldn't work with them so they dropped the line and picked up Gary Fisher instead.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

[QUOTE=CorsairMac]more like "run-a-way" model!

ROFLMAO. As always you made my day. My kids are always asking me what I'm laughing at and I usually say, It's CorsairMac giving me my daily funny.

One thing I'd like to see is a more varied selection of sizing. It always seems that when most people think bike clothes they think of small svelte women.

We all come in different shapes and sizes. I have friends who are short but stout who won't wear bike clothes because they can't find any... then there are those like me who are tall and big who also have a hard time finding stuff... And ordering online doesn't always help since you never know if what you're ordering will even fit. There are return policies but making sure things are repacked correctly and shipped back can take up valuable time when there isn't alot available already.

Unfortunately there isn't always the option for those who are not common sizes being able to drop by the LBS and grab something if you forget it for a ride.

Mel

Karen,
    Here is the link for the bike path.
    www.blackstoneriverbikeway.com/about.php
    Now all we have to do it place markers on all the existing bike shops and pick a hole in the route.

Trek/Lemond/GF/Klien is one vendor. If you're a trek dealer, you're going to have trouble carrying anything else (bike wise) other than perhaps a custom brand like Seven. Not to mention the margins on bikes aren't that great.

The best idea I've heard of is a everything but bikes store. Components, pedals, clothing, etc, but no bikes. Way more profit, and more fun.

You can buy so many things cheaper on eBay now - you wouldn't want to compete with those items that do well there. I bought my clipless pedals, there, for example. But, the clothing I bought has been less succesful - I would have like to actually seen it and tried it on first. Another thing - a bike saddle rental, or check out, so we wouldn't all end up with a bunch of seats that we didn't like. You might offer an "on comission" rack.
    "If I weren't the maid, I'd fire me."

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

Jamis

Jamis bikes--woman-owned company.

And Breezers, to get women out on bikes who are afraid of dropped bars and the fast scene.

First I'll agree with Sydney_B: "I have this wild idea that if women knew they could look a-ok while riding, they might put more time on their bike." I did a 15-mile ride in Lancaster three years ago with my close friend and my husband's bike partner (hubby's knee was wonky, friend's wife didn't bike). She was surprised by the "cute" outfits in fun colors for women. Two years ago she rode a six-mile ride in Lancaster with me. We're getting her there!

Back to bike shops! What I like about my LBS:
    * Friendly, informative, helpful, pleasant, respectful (vs. condescending). They make change for the meters; they adjust seats.
    * Location: They are a mile or so from Forbidden Dr., one of the most popular trails in Philly (forbidden to traffic, that is), a block from the Valley Forge Trail, and across the street from a soft serve ice cream place.
    * Three years of free (or cheap) annual tune-ups (or, three annual tune-ups) when you buy a bike.
    * Local guide books for sale
    * Bike rentals (or they used to)

They are also half ski shop, which probably pays the bills in winter! For a while they partnered with a local chain, now they do it themselves.

Even if this is a woman-oriented shop, some men's apparel might be good. Men's gloves fit me better than women's. Another woman poster mentioned she prefers men's jerseys because of her shoulders. Plus, it would give the men something to do.

I also wish my LBS had a wider selection of kid trailers, because we're in the market for one. I've seen good and bad about Burley, but would really like to compare. On the other hand, I don't like equating women and children. Every day in and out of my building I pass a portrait of Dr. So-and-So, Professor of Women's and Children's Diseases, 18XX.

Lots of accessories, to encourage customers to keep spending money -- men and women!

--SJ

Quote Originally Posted by tulip
    Jamis bikes--woman-owned company.

And Breezers, to get women out on bikes who are afraid of dropped bars and the fast scene.
    Or the Trek Navigator or commuter series. Also good when your knees hit your tummy on the upstroke!

This is just such a cool idea!

--SJ

Fit, Fit, Fit

It is very competitive out there.

I'd suggest emphasizing fit and customer service. Fit the odd balls tall, short, fat, thin, short legs, long bodies, long legs, short bodies. It is easy enough to find a bike that fits if you are in the middle of the bell curve... Maybe partner with a local frame builder. And cool bikes for kids: road bikes and fs mtbs. Although my LBS doesn't stock many bikes that fit me, I do appreciate that they have women working there. I feel comfortable dealing with the women in the shop. The guys are ok, too.

Clothing for women! and the big guys! Don't we all like looking good when out on the road or trail! Most LBSes have a small inventory and yes I've got a lot of PI shorts already.

Allow demos of bikes. You might go far in winter renting the xc and snowshoes, as well as selling.

Best of luck with your dream. Hope it becomes a reality.

SKM

In the area of percentage of certain make bikes, Trek is talking about wanting their dealers to carry 80% of "Trek" in their store. They also own Gary Fisher and as mentioned Lemond, but I am not sure if they are included in the 80%. Plus they are beginning to open up Trek Concept stores even if it is near a Trek dealer. Besides the fact that Trek takes a nice percentage of sales from their dealers.

Some might call it good business but ideas like this would kill a smaller dealer and for that I call it greediness on the companies part. Just my opinion.