Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

2013 TdF talk - spoilers allowed!!!

Just finished watching the first stage.

What the hell with the bus???? Was the Orica GreenEdge bus higher than all the others?? Was the banner just too low??? So bizarre.

Congrats to Kittel. I hope all the crashers are okay.

I fear I may have jinxed Hoogerland by wearing my HoogerlandTFU t-shirt today.

====

Update now that I'm watching the rerun of the prime time show: Seriously, NBC Sports?? A two-minute opening sequence??? TWO minutes????? Get over yourselves and just show the race.
    Last edited by ny biker; 06-29-2013 at 08:07 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

It was one of the most bizarre finishes I've seen! I kept yelling at the TV "let the air out of its tires to create clearance" but I don't think that would have been enough. Why did they wait so long to decide to back it up?

BTW - check out the cool TDF wallpapers on this site: http://www.justeleanor.com/WALLPAPER. I downloaded the sunflower one but it was hard to choose.

Apparently the problem with the bus happened because it arrived late. The banner had been higher earlier in the day.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...rst-day_292623

I think this is the strangest thing I've ever seen at a sporting event. Also it's a great argument in favor of allowing riders to use race radios. Imagine if they had not been able to move the bus and also were not able to notify the riders what was going on. Telling them the finish line was being moved up (and then saying "never mind") certainly caused problems, but it would have been a disaster if they had come barreling down the finishing straight only to find a bus in the way.

Gone but not forgotten:

That was one of the stranger things I've seen and the bus seemed to have set off a very strange series of events. Then today near the finish a dog got loose and ran onto the road. If you are going to have a dog near the road it really needs to be on a leash and possibly a harness instead of just a collar, that could have been disasterous.

There have been cyclist-dog crashes in races before. Potentially very dangerous for the dog as well as the racers.

Apparently Tony Martin lost consciousness twice after crashing yesterday, but he's still in the race. This seems wrong to me. It sucks to crash out so early in such a big race, but I just don't think it's worth the health risk to continue after a serious crash.

Nice win by Bakelants today. He dug deep at the end.

Gone but not forgotten:

I just read he had a concussion, a bruised lung, severe hip, back, and knee injuries; the team doctor OK'd him to ride today??? I'm not a doctor, etc. etc., but that kind of effort after a concussion, let alone the other stuff, is definitely a serious health risk.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

What do you think? The shoulder Cavendish put out that took the other rider down sure looked intentional to me. The commentators say different though.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Yeah I don't know. Most of what I've read says Cavendish didn't do anything wrong. (Until his little hissy fit while being interviewed.)

Gone but not forgotten:

Definitely wasn't intentional in my opinion... they crashed on a bit of a turn at speeds of 40+mph and Cavendish should really have moved up his left (like Kittel was it?) rather than his right. I think it looks intentional because you see him sort of throw his shoulder into it but I think that was him sort of protecting himself a bit. I hate these sprint finishes with turns, you can really appreciate their athleticism and raw power when they have a straight sprint finish.

Also a good point made by the NBC Sports commentators was that these guys are racing against each other 30+ times a year and there is absolutely no reason for Cavendish to do something like that, which he hasn't done in the past. Just food for thought.

Haha Cavendish throwing a hissy fit seems pretty normal now... in the past I found Cavendish's riding to greatly outweigh his somewhat crappy personality but this tour he has been somewhat disappointing on both fronts.
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it.

2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0
    2007 Fuji Absolute 2.0

I prefer a domestique like Teddy King to a temperamental sprinter any day of the week.....

http://www.iamtedking.com/2013/07/in...h-of-humanity/

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I prefer a domestique like Teddy King to a temperamental sprinter any day of the week.....

Thank you for posting that great article! I agree, I'm not fond of temperamental athletes no matter what the sport. Wishing all the best to Teddy King.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Quote Originally Posted by mariacycle View Post

Haha Cavendish throwing a hissy fit seems pretty normal now... in the past I found Cavendish's riding to greatly outweigh his somewhat crappy personality but this tour he has been somewhat disappointing on both fronts.
    Even his team director snorted when one of them suggested Mark was a little upset. I think he said something like "what else is new".

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post

This story made my heart hurt for him and his family. He is a very talented writer and cyclist.

How many ways does Phil pronounce Valverde's first name? I've lost count.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    How many ways does Phil pronounce Valverde's first name? I've lost count.
    As many ways as he pronounced (or mispronounced) Avila Beach in the TOC. LOL. That's okay, we still love him.