Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Writer View Post
    Good video PLL
    And I found a picture of the moment - not so cool (I did not get the reason of the altercation in the video, but after this pic, I see clearly why). Still, why do people run after the riders, yelling at them? I don't get that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meerennertgroot.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	16492

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    And I found a picture of the moment - not so cool (I did not get the reason of the altercation in the video, but after this pic, I see clearly why). Still, why do people run after the riders, yelling at them? I don't get that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meerennertgroot.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	16492
    I don't understand it either. I think most of the riders appreciate verbal support from the spectators, but the crazy outfits and the running alongside them just seems like a desperate cry for attention to me. Of course many of the spectators are drunk, so that might explain a lot.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I'd love to see a sort of running of the bulls style cycling event where moronic fans can run with cyclists who carry some kind of little weapon (like darts or a tazer) to zap the annoying runners.

Seriously, I am puzzled by the fans who run, but the ones who touch the riders or throw water on them or light smoke flares really bother me. If they stay out of the way, running is harmless, but the rest really could be a serious problem for everyone.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Me too. I have horrible fantasies about going there and whacking those crazed, interfering fans with something that doesn't hurt them badly but does irritate the hell out of them. I can't understand why they allow this. It drives me nuts to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I'd love to see a sort of running of the bulls style cycling event where moronic fans can run with cyclists who carry some kind of little weapon (like darts or a tazer) to zap the annoying runners.

Seriously, I am puzzled by the fans who run, but the ones who touch the riders or throw water on them or light smoke flares really bother me. If they stay out of the way, running is harmless, but the rest really could be a serious problem for everyone.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

One assumes that this is just part of the spectacle, overpolice the enthusiasm and maybe there won't be any. It fills me with anxiety just watching, but the fans are what really supports the cost of the event. I really wonder what other country would allow such disruption of infrastructure. I went to watch a little of the Tour of Utah and even for a short well publicized semi rural road closure the driving public was apoplectic. Two cars actually just drove through the closure of an intersection past the police who could not do a thing about it. I was more entertained by the car drivers and police that I was really distracted from the speedy descent I had come to watch.
    Is the USA pro challenge really only in Colorado? Is that as national as it gets?
    Last edited by Skippyak; 07-20-2013 at 06:09 PM.

I've enjoyed this years Tour immensely. Yes, it was obvious that Froome would win and he stayed in yellow. But all the different stage wins and attacks. I think it was most interesting this year. I will miss sitting on my trainer pedaling along! I am glad Quintana (sp?) won today and will be on the podium. Looking forward to Pro Cycling Challenge (Colorado).
    katluvr

Quintana was definitely my favorite this year, and a great surprise. KOM, Best Young Rider and second place overall. Good for him.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My favorite is Talansky.
    Of course, after reading about him, there's so many similarities between him and my son, it felt natural.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It's been a fun race to watch, even knowing that Froome was the winner from the first stages... Two pearls from a great blog, the Inner Ring:

"And if you want to know the difference between the pros and the amateurs, Ramunas Navardauskas was the last finisher on Mont Semnoz was still faster than the winner of the Etape du Tour, the cyclo event held on the same course two weeks ago. Navardauskas has been racing almost every day for the last three weeks."

And something to look at in today's stage:

Rhinestone Froomedog: to add to the nocturnal celebrations, the yellow jersey tomorrow has sequins. No joke. There will also be a laser and firework show centred around the Arc de Triomphe.

Sequins! I wonder how that's going to look. What's next? LED piping in the shorts/legs? Streamers and spoke lights...

Added later: Well, I spoke to soon -- FDJ has a special kit for today's stage: https://twitter.com/EquipeFDJ/status...199936/photo/1
    Last edited by pll; 07-21-2013 at 09:46 AM.

I don't get it either or why it's allowed. It makes me very nervous watching people wave flags over their heads and faces, the yelling and crowding. I'd be tempted to carry a baton, but as ny biker pointed out most of the real crazies are probably drunk. Oh yeah, and even though I am a touchy-feely-huggy kind of person, those strangers touching the riders while they are undergoing those laborious climbs? That's way out of bounds!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

I don't get the crazies along the route, but I don't get the comments about it "not being allowed" either. Just imagine the amount of personnel or the cost of putting up fencing along ~120 miles of the route each day. What should the organizers and towns do?
    Last edited by pll; 07-21-2013 at 09:59 AM.

2013 TdF talk - spoilers allowed!!!

Anyone catch the full frontal guy a few nights ago? Two guys running after the bikers with their shorts pulled partially down; the one guys were around his ankles. I've been watching for "Borat Thong" guy....haven't seen him yet this year.

It's part of the fun. I can't imagine them fencing it off. We did see how they were sending motorcycles ahead of the leader on the summit climb the other day; presumable to clear the hordes. And ads? DVR is your friend. Watch four hours of coverage in an hour and forty minutes. We are a few days behind bit that's a small price imnsho.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I saw it, Irulan...
    I can't imagine them fencing it off either, but it seems so disrespectful and dangerous to the riders when they impede their progress. Dressing up is one thing, but getting drunk and running in front of the riders, hitting them, etc. is awful. I do like the way they have been using the motorcycles to help wit this, but, come on, people.
    No ads with the NBC app and watching it through Apple TV from the I Pad. I guess one of the advantages of not having cable.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It was definitely an entertaining Tour to watch, even knowing Froome had it from early on. I'm also glad Quintana was able to win a stage. He was impressive and I think someone to watch in the years to come.

I am never certain of the outcome in advance; I am always anxious about the possibility of something unthinkable happening.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.