Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Scott Foil series vs Specialized Amira, please help.

To disable ads, please log-in.

First off, thanks for trying to help me through this if you are reading.

So I have been waffling on bikes for close to a year. I really want to make a purchase and have tested bikes, narrowed it down to Scott Foil series, say like a foil 30 or 20. The Specialized Amira Comp is also nice. Initially I was set on all 105 components and I would call it good, then I rode bikes with Ultegra and some with SRAM. Darn it I was hoping I didn't feel the difference in braking and shifting but I did so now I want to bump it up to Ultegra or SRAM. Fit is good for a Specialized 51 and also good for a Scott in 47. I would say the test ride of the Scott 47 was a smidge nicer but at that time I was trying a scott with Ultegra versus a Specialized with 105 so not quite apples to apples comparison on the components.

My difficulty is that I am value driven and cannot seem to get info on why perhaps Scott is better than Specialized or the other way around as far as the carbon quality or some other feature that makes me say, ahhh that is WHY one bike is about $300-$500 more than the other. As an example I can get a 2013 Scott Foil 30(has SRAM Rival) for approx $2250 and the 2013 Amira Comp(has SRAM Force) for approx $2750. Wheelsets will be comparable.

So long winded way of me asking, does anyone know what about the make up of the frame of Specialized versus Scott makes one more expensive than the other and is the expense justified. Is the carbon better from one company than the other or the way they lay out the carbon on the bike? Any tidbits of info that would be helpful is much appreciated.

Force is Ultegra-level. Rival is about 105-level. There's a chunk of the difference right there.

I've ridden the Amira (entry-level; that's all they had in my size). Never ridden a Scott. They tend not to publicize what they're actually doing with the carbon. Specialized does do (if I remember correctly), size-specific layup, which is helpful if you're on the smaller side--otherwise you might end up on an over-built bike.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Scott's are great and they have a huge carbon history.
    As much as Specialized is "up front" with their carbon- a lot is marketing. They have had recalls, recently, due to poorly constructed carbon layup. Most guys I know who race are able to crack their Specialized frames within a year from normal wear and tear(not saying a female would be able to have the same power output but..). My husband had a crack in his steerer tube on his brand new frame this year after only about 4 rides on the road(with a handful on the trainer).

Remember, the majority of all carbon frames are coming out of 3 factories.

If you like the ride on both bikes equally, I guess I would choose based on which bike shop you prefer (such as a free bike fit or free tuneups) and which bike color you prefer more.

Tough to choose from since I have seen both the Scott Foil and the Specialized Amira as recommended bikes by Bicycle magazines in the past.

In regards to carbon cracking, my Specialized bike shop said that the Specialized bike frames have a lifetime guarantee for the original owner. I haven't cracked my bike frame yet (even though I have tipped over about 20 times when I was first riding clipless), so I don't know how good this guarantee actually is.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    If you like the ride on both bikes equally, I guess I would choose based on which bike shop you prefer (such as a free bike fit or free tuneups) and which bike color you prefer more.

Tough to choose from since I have seen both the Scott Foil and the Specialized Amira as recommended bikes by Bicycle magazines in the past.

In regards to carbon cracking, my Specialized bike shop said that the Specialized bike frames have a lifetime guarantee for the original owner. I haven't cracked my bike frame yet (even though I have tipped over about 20 times when I was first riding clipless), so I don't know how good this guarantee actually is.
    A guy at work had his fork break. They sent him a new frame and fork, no problem.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Thank you for the discussion!! It is helpful to read these bits of experience and comparison. Both bike shop owners and staff have been great. The Scott dealer did a pretty good initial fit already on the trainer before he sent me off to test a Foil 15. The Specialized dealer's employees have been so patient with tweaking the seat on the Amira and then letting me ride a shop employee's bike because it had SRAM on it. I am a long torso, short inseam kind of gal at 5' 3.5"

If I want to plunk down a bit more $ then I can get at Foil 20 with Ultrega. I knew I should not have tested the models with Ultegra at various shops because after zipping away on those bikes the 105 sets feel just a bit rougher. Hubby has given me the blessing to get what I want since this is my birthday present, hit 40 last sunday, yet I feel like I should tone it down and get something reasonable because I know that in half a year I will want a different wheelset and I would not mind upgrading the group set in a year's time.

Well I have a couple of hours before it is time to get the kids from day camp so I am going to high tail it to a store to see how the Amira with Force feels in person at yet a different bike shop before I make the final decision.

Thank you again for hearing me out!