Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Slump or what?

Slump or what?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I feel like I'm going through a sluggish slump with riding. Looking over my riding log I'm not over-training, I take enough rest days. I vary the intensity of my rides with some being strenuous and hilly and others being easy rides on flat trails. About 5 weeks ago I was feeling at the top of my form, today I felt like a slug. My legs just feel heavy and won't perform like I want them to and they poop out. In the last couple of weeks I start off very weak and about 1/4 to 1/2 way into my ride something clicks and I get a big burst of strength and stamina, often finishing quite strong and feeling like I could go longer. Today I had one burst of energy about 1/2 way into my ride but it didn't last long, just 2-3 miles and petered out. I finished, of course, but it was just so-so. Does this happen to you?
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

I tend to get sluggish mentally rather than physically. I reach a point where I have to force myself to get on the bike. That's when it's time to do something else for a while.

I usually leave town for a week every summer for vacation, and I don't bring a bike with me. It's sets my conditioning back a bit when the vacation is over but I think the mental break of doing other things (or nothing) is worth it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Sometimes you just need to take the first 5-10 miles a slower pace. I always need to do a long warm up, which is why I don't do well on a lot of group rides, which takeoff like a bat out of hell. Yet, I often find that many times, even though I might have felt like i was struggling in the beginning of a ride, when I ride with other people, I'm often right near the front at the end of a ride, and my climbing is really strong, too. It's always been like this.
    I agree with NY Biker, too. Nothing makes you want to ride more than taking time off from it. I have less miles this year, due to weather, work, and now I'm recovering from a sinus infection that has totally knocked me out. We are leaving this morning for what was supposed to be a weekend of hard riding int he Berkshires; the weather has pretty much eliminated that, and we are not even taking the bikes. We might get some hiking in, and I know I will be really ready to ride next week.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, this is typical for me too. My body likes a long warm-up too and I also tend to not do too well at group rides that start out too quickly. So far this has been mostly a physical problem because I still have the strong desire but the flesh isn't as willing. But it's starting to turn mental and I'm starting to dread that part of getting over the hump or warm-up period. Dread might be too strong, more like I'm not looking forward to that part and looking for ways to avoid it. I'm about to do a short errand run passing out flyers for the 4th of July activities around town to local businesses, I could do this by car but it's actually more convenient to do it by bike so I'll just have to see how this goes. I'm not looking to get anything out of this ride except to complete a task and maybe that's why I'm not apprehensive about it? Bicycling is similar to golf in that there is a very strong tie between the mechanics and the mental aspect.

nybiker, I know I could defeat myself mentally on a golf course, perhaps this is part of the problem even if I'm not realizing it.

It's nice to know others experience this too.
    Last edited by Bike Writer; 06-28-2013 at 06:03 AM.
    Bike Writer

Sometimes when I start I feel incredibly tired and slow. Most of the time it goes away after about 20 minutes on the bike. Some days are off days and I just cut it short.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Could it be partly due to the summer heat? With me it's sometimes weather, sometimes other stuff that's on my mind. Well done for getting out there and riding.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

hebe, yes it could be the heat and really high humidity we've been having or at least they help to contribute. I do think I started fatiguing from overtraining, I cut way back on mileage per ride after taking a nearly a week off and I've been comfortable and happy with shorter pedaling about and riding at a good pace but not going all out. I just increased mileage and hours by too much instead of incremental.

I also had a Dr. appt today for blood work to see if there is any underlying cause of the fatigue. We'll see what transpires. Nice to see you around the forums again! Hope all is well with you
    Bike Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Writer View Post
    hebe, yes it could be the heat and really high humidity we've been having or at least they help to contribute. I do think I started fatiguing from overtraining, I cut way back on mileage per ride after taking a nearly a week off and I've been comfortable and happy with shorter pedaling about and riding at a good pace but not going all out. I just increased mileage and hours by too much instead of incremental.

I also had a Dr. appt today for blood work to see if there is any underlying cause of the fatigue. We'll see what transpires. Nice to see you around the forums again! Hope all is well with you
    Speaking of doctors... it wasn't all that long ago that you had major surgery. Perhaps you're just not back to full strength yet?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Your slump describes my normal ride. I almost always HATE the first 10-15 miles, feel like I'm 30 pounds heavier than I am, slow slow slow, and have to fight the urge to just go home. After than, I'm happy, love pushing myself, and don't want to stop. Two weekends ago, I was just a slug, had to stop three times in 40 miles, when I often don't stop at all. I just chalked it up to being tired and the hot, humid weather. I took last weekend off because I didn't feel like riding. I got in a couple short, slow rides in the evening this week that were wonderful, and now I'm itching to get out tomorrow. Hoping the rain holds off in the morning.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    Your slump describes my normal ride. I almost always HATE the first 10-15 miles, feel like I'm 30 pounds heavier than I am, slow slow slow, and have to fight the urge to just go home. After than, I'm happy, love pushing myself, and don't want to stop. Two weekends ago, I was just a slug, had to stop three times in 40 miles, when I often don't stop at all. I just chalked it up to being tired and the hot, humid weather. I took last weekend off because I didn't feel like riding. I got in a couple short, slow rides in the evening this week that were wonderful, and now I'm itching to get out tomorrow. Hoping the rain holds off in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Speaking of doctors... it wasn't all that long ago that you had major surgery. Perhaps you're just not back to full strength yet?
    ny biker, you are correct about the major surgery. I've heard it said that it takes a full year to recover completely and it's only been 9 months.

murilelalex, I do find that on and off I am the same way where I feel sluggish till I warm up and by the time I'm finished I'm feeling great. That's why I don't like rides that start off with hills right off the bat. That will put me in a bad frame of mind.
    Bike Writer