Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Mountain Bike spoof video

To disable ads, please log-in.

I found this amusing, even if not PC http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Bike-Co...ideo-2013.html
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

THAT was funny!! Thanks for sharing
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I was not amused, and instead of explaining myself, I'm going to quote a reader from a different forum, who said it more eloquently than I ever could
    "If you find it hilarious, great. I’m not trying to change your mind. I posted that I thought it was sexist because sometimes it’s nice to tell other lonely dissenters that they’re not crazy.

And I’m still not trying to change anyone’s mind, but I’ll try to clarify where I’m coming from. To me, the basic joke of that video is having a guy act out all the ‘annoying things girlfriends do on mountain bike rides with their boyfriends.’ I don’t see it portraying annoying rider behavior, I see it portraying annoying female rider behavior. It’s supposed to be funny because it’s a guy doing it.

To me, this video ridicules women. I’m put off by it the same general way I would be by a video of a black man and a white man where the white guy is eating fried chicken and watermelon and leering at the black women. Or a Jew and a WASP and the WASP is trying to squeeze every last dime out of the Jew. Or a gay man and straight man and the straight man is lisping and fondling 5 year-olds.

Now, those examples are all a lot more offensive to me than a whiny hormonal boyfriend on a bike, but the basic premise of the humor--“isn’t it a riot when a #1 does all the bad things #2s always do”--seems the same. I’m sure some people would think all those videos are hilarious and clever and demand that anyone not laughing lighten up. Just not how I see it. "
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thanks, Irulan. I didn't know how to say it. Your person nailed it.

(And I probably shouldn't say it, but I'm not known for restraining myself - that's pretty much my take on the term "PC" as well, as though if you say something offensive, the people who are the target of the slur don't matter, it's only some ivory tower intellectuals who have their panties in a bunch... )
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-26-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

To each, their own. I'm full blooded Greek (both parents born there) and laughed my head off watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding, that poked a lot of fun at the Greeks. I still laugh my head off every-time I see it. One of my sisters is offended by it. But, we are all different. To quote right from the movie...Some of us are apples, some of us are oranges but in the end...we are all fruit!" So here's to fruit salad!

I seldom use the term PC because I can't stand it either but used it as a heads up like people do to warn that some stuff is not suitable for viewing at work and such.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Thanks for sharing the video! It was a cute tongue-in-cheek for those of us who know how to take a joke. I have had girlfriends that actually ride like that, that is what makes it funny.
    commuter: a Giant Sedona '97
    road: Giant OCR c3 '08 | 105/Ultegra
    lusting a Sweet Pea A-line for when DH sweeps me out to sea

I can take plenty of jokes - just not ones that I find offensive. I'm floored that here on TE, a womens board that is based upon biking community support and encouraging women to bike, it's suggested that those of us who aren't amused don't have a sense of humor or "can't' take a joke" when we don't find humor in a video that we feel ridicules women, even if is done in a so-called cutesy role reversal way. Perhaps we can agree to disagree about whether this is funny or not, but please don't tell me I can't take a joke just because I don't find humor in the same places you do.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Oh I dunno. I thought it was funny, especially because it was deliberately offensive. I just found it funny, not mean. I'm guilty as charged of some of those things... though I'd never admit it out loud, while my dh never behaves like that.

(On the other hand, how often does a guy get to experience trying something physically challenging that his girlfriend or spouse is a lot better at?)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett