Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Wet Weather Gear

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm sure this has been posted about before but in my quick search I couldn't find it.

Any advice on wet weather gear? I'm especially interested in layering, what people are wearing for their inner layer, a shell, and pants. I'd rather find some form fitting pants that aren't tight but aren't nylon/windpant material either.

Thanks!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

This time of year, I just get wet... it's warm/hot enough that anything waterproof/repellant doesn't breathe and I get more wet from sweat getting stuck inside the layer (ick!). Stuff dries fast and I don't have any long downhills, etc to get chilly on. If it's cool/windy but still summer, I have a super lightweight REI/novara jacket that's not really waterproof, but blocks the wind and dries fast enough that my arms don't get chilly (several years old, but I think it's this).

Winter/cold weather, I have a truly waterproof, non-breathable jacket (also old, but this) to stay dry up top, usually layered with a smartwool mid-weight longsleeve. Legs usually just get wet (my thighs are covered by the jacket/my body so they stay fairly dry, everything else will just get wet) but I wear PI Amphib tights (pricey, but mine have 3 years of more or less daily winter commuting on them and are just starting to wear) with shorts under and wool Swobo kneewarmers and some variety of wool socks. If it's really crappy I have thick neoprene shoe covers as well and those plus the wool socks keep my feet fairly warm down below freezing (at which point I'm not worried about rain anymore :)

And an Ortleib to keep my work clothes/stuff dry.

Thanks so much for your reply carlotta. I'm back in Seattle, where unfortunately nothing ever fully dries. I'm thinking about getting a rain repellent running jacket that will double as my cycling jacket as I tend to be a minimalist; as well as running pants that can be used for cycling.

I really like your idea about the smart wool layer and tights; I might even be able to look somewhat cute in a skirt/tights once winter comes around.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Wool baselayer, definitely.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I've been very happy with goretex waterproof cycling specific rain pants & jacket. Especially for the rainpants it was important to get cycling specific because it's reinforced in the right places and it's the right shape. It's helpful with the jacket too so it does't flap in the breeze. However, I mainly use this as an outer windblock layer in the coldest weather. Even though it is a breathable goretex, it still traps heat pretty effectively. In warmer weather I tend to just get wet, bring extra clothes in a plastic sack. My climate is a lot different than yours.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    I'm back in Seattle, where unfortunately nothing ever fully dries.
    Ah, I would've replied differently if I knew this (I saw Denver on your post and posted more or less what worked for me in Albuquerque for 6 years...mountain rain). I grew up in Portland so I'm familiar with the perpetual moisture issues in the PNW... I think wool base layer is still your friend, but I'd probably invest in some good, cycling-specific rain gear (pants, in particular) if I was back there and riding much, I'd still get wet in the summer, but the 45/rainy days probably require more waterproof-ness than what I posted earlier.

I would gladly deal with the damp again.....it was 85 and 60% humidity when I (very slowly...) rode to work in Philly this morning. Ick.